Slow cd/dvd burning - optical drive stuck in PIO mode

vbimport

With so many options in these forums I wasnt too sure where to put this, but since I’m new to here I’ll defer to “newbie” :slight_smile:

My system info:
Shuttle SX38P2
OS - Win XP x64 SP2
Intel - Q9450 (no OverClock)
Memory - 6gb COrsair XMS2 6400
VGA - Evga 9800gt
2 x SATA Seagate Barracuda 750gb
1 x SATA Samsung 750gb External
Optical drive - LG GSA-H55L(v 1.05) on Primary IDE

Basic problem:
With Nero Express Essentials, burn process begins and states it will take 7 mins to burn data on a 4.7gb disc but then time extends to 30+ minutes.
With CloneDVD time starts out normally but then jumps up to 45+ mins to rip, then another 45+ to burn to disc.

So I’ve spent the last 2 weeks researching online and this site seems to have the most comprehensive info. I spent some significant time reading and trying suggestions from the following 3 threads as they are similar to my problem:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/dma-unavailable-135892/
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f91/gsa-h55n-wont-burn-any-faster-than-2x-251018/

I’ve also tried ideas from this guide:
http://winhlp.com/node/10

However I am still stuck in PIO mode for my optical drive. The only ‘gotcha’ is that I dont have any options in my BIOS to verify IDE channel settings for DMA/PIO on my Shuttle.

(update while writing this post…)
I just rebooted and my PIO mode changed from Device 1 to Device 0 (Only thing I changed was putting the Master jumper on my optical drive)

Things I’ve tried (no particular order):
-Run Nero Disc Speed to confirm the slowness and it gets to a max of .93x.
-I’ve changed drives and the the same problem occurs.
-Uninstalled all secondary channels and two of the 3 available Primary IDE channels. I’ve done this in combinations - all at once and one at a time.
-Changed the optical drive settings from DMA to PIO back and forth then rebooting; sometimes after making the recommended registry changes (MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed or SlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed) and still nothing.
-Deleting the MasterIdDataChecksum registry entry
-Changed IDE cables
-Attempted to check BIOs, but no settings for IDE channels (only settings for SATA drives available).

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Let me know if you need anymore info from my end (screenshots, settings, etc)

thanks in advance for the help.

Did you install the JMicron PATA controller drivers? If so, you might try uninstalling them. If not, you might try installing them. Historically, JMicron hasn’t been too compatible with optical drives. :slight_smile:

Alternatively, you may either get an add-in PCI-to-PATA card based on a good controller, or switch to an SATA optical drive.

I havent but I’ll give it a shot in the morning. One thing I forgot to mention is that in my device manager under ‘system devices’ my ‘direct memory access controller’ says ‘no drivers installed for this device’ however there are no icons indicating anything is wrong and no mention of ‘problems’ with this device. I checked shuttles site and cd of drivers it came with and theres no mention or option to do so. I even reinstalled all motherboard drivers and that was no help.

thanks

One thing I forgot to mention is that in my device manager under ‘system devices’ my ‘direct memory access controller’ says ‘no drivers installed for this device’ however there are no icons indicating anything is wrong and no mention of ‘problems’ with this device.

That’s normal, it’s installed with the OS.

Most of the time it seems this “stuck in PIO mode” is a system issue not a drive issue. Just to be sure though, have you tried that drive in another PC?

Otherwise, I’m with Albert–I have seen a lot of posts relating to optical drive problems and the JMicron controller.:slight_smile:

Sigh… So I bought one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812206002 in desperation since I had 2 more available on board SATA connectors. Drive recognized fine, no more PIO and Nero Disc Speed says all is well.

Reading discs are fine and at fullspeed.

Now when I go to actually write to a disc it just hangs, no errors in event log or anywhere else, it just hangs as if its in the process to begin the burn. Then any thing I do from this point on hangs and I need to manually reboot.

:sad:

So I was wondering if anyone may have some input on what I should do next?

I can read/write to CDs without any problems.

I can read and play DVDs without any problems.

I CANNOT burn to DVD, my system simply hangs, no errors, mouse still available, but no ability to even get to task manager. I have to reboot manually.

One thing I have noticed in Nero for instance, after adding files once I click next is when my system begins to hang, if I let it ‘hang’ for about 3-4 hours it will eventually start burning, but it insanely slow speeds. This has only happened once because I havent had the patience to try it again.