Slow burning w/ 6.3.1.25 & winxp sp2

vbimport

#1

I was using a prior version of Burning Rom (6.1.x.x) and it chugged along nicely w/ winxp sp1. 4x dvd-r would usually take about 15 minutes on my plextor 708-A. This combination worked for over 1 year w/ over 200 successful burns (no coasters).

Last week I decided to upgrade to winxp sp2 and found out that my older version of Nero would no longer be compatable, so I got v. 6.3.1.25 and installed it.
It burns my 4x but now takes over 45 minutes to complete a full burn.

Other than installation of sp2, nothing else has changed. What gives?

Please help. Thanks.

Mike.


#2

The obvious solution is to check Device Manager to see if UltraDMA is enabled for your burner and the hard drive (look under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers). See this screenshot for an example of what the settings should look like.


#3

I see the same thing happening on 6.6

[Amd 64, 3200+, Two gigs 3200 ram, 128 ram video shared, Hd-7200,udma all drives,Win-Xp-Home/with sp2 and current updates from ms website.Windows swap file on ntfs drive 512-1536 or so range configured,sb-a2 sound card, usb 2.0 ext drive]

Files are on (D:), burner is on secondary controller/primary master. second drive as slave is a a dvd-rom read only drive.

udma active on all on board controllers…

The burns which brought me here seem to take about one hour and eighteen minutes. Hopefully I can get that changed… cringe…

Nec drive 16x burn able. Media is 4x-r selected 4x burn mode though nero saw the speed capable of going up to 12x.


#4

The drive is a nec 3540a

I did check the controller and one in there does say PIO.

Later I will open the box and duble check what cables are going where to make sure.


#5

I did take the time to open the case. I removed :

Samsung DVD Master 16E Model SD-616 (slave, secondary controller)

Reburn close to same size dvd burn this time took about 14 minutes
at 4X instead of an hour and eighteen minutes.

Oh I do not know if this matters. I also disabled the indexing on the drive that
has the windows swap file.

Forgot to add. The dvd drive mentioned here was set as PIO in windows home xp/sp2 and I could not change it in windows though the PC bios was set to autio detection.