Slow burning speed DMA and PIO

Hi,

I can only burn things at around 1x speed. I have read most problems are related to the burner being set to PIO instead of DMA. I read Microsoft that setting something to DMA can make your system less stable and other bad things…

So how do I know if I can set it to DMA or not? I have a Dell D630 and burner is PBDS DVD±RW DS-8W1P.

If that is not a problem and I can set the DMA how do I know which one to set. I have 2 IDE primary channels, the first one is set to DMA with Ultra DMA mode 5, while the second one is set to PIO, should I change it to DMA, but will my laptop have any problems?

Thanks.

For what I know, enabling DMA will not cause problems. I have no idea why Microsoft said such a thing (can you post a link? I’m really curious :eek: ), but it is not true.

Enabling DMA is a must for DVD burners.

Hi,

DMA is mandatory for modern DVD burners.

Michael

EDIT: geno was faster :slight_smile:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

The page is pretty old though it says updated Dec. 01. I came across that page from googling.

But how will I know which IDE primary device is the burner, since I have two, or should I just set them both to DMA?

[QUOTE=MasterRoshi;1979688]http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

The page is pretty old though it says updated Dec. 01. I came across that page from googling.

But how will I know which IDE primary device is the burner, since I have two, or should I just set them both to DMA?[/QUOTE]
Set all of them (including your hard drive) to DMA.

Hmm, I set it to DMA, but underneath it it still says PIO mode instead of Ultra DMA mode 5 and I can’t change it.

But I don’t think there is any improvement to the speed, I ran Nero and its still slow, but I didn’t actually try burning.

Hmm, I uninstalled the driver and restarted and when windows found the drive it set it to DMA. I used Nero CD/DVD and it was much faster, but disc quality dropped in half (from 90 to 45). I was previously scanning at 8x, if I change it to 4x then the results are closer, but get a bit more PI errors. (133 max vs 178 max and 444k total vs 574k total)

So how does this all work out? My burner is 8x, but I set it to burn when it was in PIO mode at 4x, but it only burned at 1x. Now that its in DMA mode would I need to set it to 2x or else my quality drops in half? But then it would still have more PIE than on 1x?

Which media have you used?

Dell systems are often a mystery :frowning:

I think that is an issue related to the IDE drivers. Standard Microsoft IDE drivers should work fine. If this doesn’t solve, I have no idea how enable DMA :frowning:

Edit:

Dell systems are often a mystery

I think that is an issue related to the IDE drivers. Standard Microsoft IDE drivers should work fine. If this doesn’t solve, I have no idea how enable DMA

Oh don’t worry, the problem is solved now, I am running on DMA mode. Now I am just wondering if its better for me to burn at 4x or 8x.

Oh good call, I forgot about that. I was testing with a 16x ridata disc. When I tried a 8x TYG02 disc the results between scanning at 8x and 4x were not that drastic.

In DMA for 8x I got less PIE, the PIF was about the same, the disc quality was the same vs the PIO mode.

Scanning at 4x my results were:

PI Errors
Avg: 30.36
Max: 66
Total: 519440

PI Failures
Avg: 0.02
Max: 2
Total: 2899

Quality Score: 95

Scanning at 8x:

PI Errors
Avg: 22.43
Max: 59
Total: 383762

PI Failures
Avg: 0.02
Max: 3
Total: 2778

Quality Score: 93

So at 8x, I get less PIE, but a lower quality score. (Scanned again at 8x, got 40k more PIE and 80 more total PIF :rolleyes:) Is this any indicator to tell me which speed I should burn things at? Or will I need to test myself, because these discs were burned in PIO mode with about 1x speed, so I don’t know how reliable it is to read the results.

Do you play any starforce games…even demos?

Check out this link…it will tell you step by step how to see if you have starforce installed,and how to remove it if you do:

http://www.glop.org/starforce/

Starforce may cause drives drop from dma to pio mode per articles on the net.

This may have nothing to do with your problem…but it is a quick check that takes only about a minute…

Note: If you have a starforce game (do a google search)…as soon as you start/install it again…then the starfoce drivers will be re-installed.