Slow burn times?

Hi, TIA!
I get 14 minute on the fly music cd copy times, and it takes 11 minutes for my cdrom to read a 650 Mb data disk to the hdd. Is my 1997 Acer 24x model 624A is too slow? In Nero tests it has a DAE speed of 5x, quality of 0, and gets errors. The data stream is like 5-15x. I burned 650 Mb from the hdd in 2 minutes, 30 seconds, so is my reader the problem?

setup:

Primary Master = hdd
Secondary Master = Lite on 4824s (DMA)
Secondary Slave = Acer 24x (Mode 4)

Thanx!

Acer 24x model 624A is too slow?

YES
Get another burner for Christmas!:bigsmile:

he already has the fastest burner (just not clocked all the way)

but yeah , your cdrom drive is a peice of junk.

if you dont want to bother with buying another cdrom drive (cause a burner is about the same price now) just image the disc and then burn it. the liteon has a LOT better DAE so it should only take about 5-6 mins total to image and then burn .

Thanks,
I bought a rebadged 48246s, and when I replaced the old Acer with it (as slave), now it doesn’t show up in the device manager (win98se). Also now the master Lite On which is still listed won’t retain the DMA mode setting. The startup screen (cmos?) shows the hdd and these two drives as UDMA.

Everything works though:  Explorer, InCd, and Nero all see and access both drives; and music plays.  I'm getting CAV data transfer rate of 36x average from the master, but a CLV rate of 21x average from the "unlisted" slave.  

ps- the new Buslink 48246s has firmware rev# ss04, the Lite On is rev# ss08. Do I need to flash upgrade?

pps- I haven’t tried a burn yet, I’m afraid of disappointment :slight_smile:

Happy Holidays!

For some reason your board does not like the 2 drives configured that way. Perhaps you should try swapping them around, or put one on the primary channel.

Success!

After much struggle and research, I gave in and slaved one of the drives on the ide with the hdd. Everything is DMA now and the Buslink is nearly identical to the Lite On in performance, and I copied a music CD on the fly in 00:02:18".

My mb (older) manual says putting a cdrom on the same ide with the hdd will slow it down. If all the drives in the bios startup screen say UDMA-2, does that mean the hdd and the opticals are the same ATA speed?

Thanx!

My mb (older) manual says putting a cdrom on the same ide with the hdd will slow it down. If all the drives in the bios startup screen say UDMA-2, does that mean the hdd and the opticals are the same ATA speed?

If the HD is UDMA-2 rated, then it seems all is well.
If your BIOS is up to date, you may be alright, you’ll have to test the speeds to know what it’s doing. Newer boards all support different UDMA speeds on the same channel. If you’re able to burn at 48x, that’s a start. Hopefully, you can also do on-the-fly CD copies at 48x.
With this older MB, perhaps an IDE controler card with a new ATA-133 HD would spice things up a bit for you.

I’ll hold back on the jokes about how the buslink is performing as well as the liteon(because its the same drive)