SLOW burn and read speeds with a NEC 6650A

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 with a NEC 6650A dvd drive. Lately I have noticed that I am getting slow burn and read speeds, about 0.9x for each (I usually use ImgBurn but get the same results in Sonic - the app that came with the Dell). It also takes ages copying data files from dvd to hd.

I used to get good speeds, the big changes that have happened are installation of Office 2007 as well as usual OS (XP Pro) and McAfee updates. Most other apps etc are the same.

I have not flashed the drive or done any other mucking about. I have checked in device manager and as far as I can tell it is using dma already.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

check out my thread, i had the exact same problem as you and couldn’t find a solution

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=219321

OK, I found the problem.

I had only checked the primary IDE drive (D’oh!!). The secondary one (which is the dvd drive) was DMA if available but was in PIO mode. I uninstalled the driver and rebooted and now it says DMA mode. I haven’t had a chance to test yet (I’m out and about with no discs) but I hope that that will fix it.

hopefully that works for you…mine was the exact same problem, uninstalled driver’s and finally got DMA mode back. Burn speed increased but discs could never be verified.