Slow Burn (1633s internal) [long]

My problem is my DVD burner is burning really slow. Following is the requisite information regarding my system and recent changes that may explain issues.

First off, I’ve searched, read, and followed most of the threads regarding this problem (DMA check/reset; reinstall ASPI; remove device/reboot; use kprobe to verify burst rate [a pitiful 1.9]); mine appears to require info I’ve not come across (or not had the skillz to follow).

I’m running the following: Win XP ProOEM (fully updated) on an AMD 1.3gHz with 768mb ram, 4 physical HDD (80gb partitioned 50% each [c:\ is on one of these]; 30gb; 80gb; 120gb partitioned 50% each); 1 x LITE-ON LTR-48246S (cd burner); 1 x LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S (the problem drive).
I think that’s all the info I need to provide (if not, lemme know and obviously I’ll provide).

Some (short) history. This drive is not new to me and has burned very well in the past - burned at “normal” speed every time (roughly 8 minutes for a full DVD data burn). My previous partitioning of my c:\ was inadequate so I recently formatted and reinstalled - shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve reinstalled the bundled Nero software (which is what I was using prior to the formating) and tried to burn data as I’ve done with great success in the past. However since the reinstall (and full update of Windoze) my burn time has dropped to roughly 50 minutes for a 4.7gb data disc. This is clearly less than adequate.

I’ve read and followed the threads regarding DMA verification (mine currently is set at “DMA if available” but ‘current transfer mode’ is set to “PIO” - this is after following threads on how to correct). I dumped the old ASPI and reinstalled to ver. 4.6 (another thread suggested this).
The only thing I haven’t tried is the thread regarding registry alteration. I haven’t tried this because I’m not clear on how to determine whether my OS HDD is on the primary IDE channel (if memory serves the threads regarding removing the IDE channel made clear that I should not do this if my OS HDD is on that channel - the same channel my problem optical drive is on). It’s entirely possible I’m confusing threads - at this point my head is a great mess.

The only other information of relative value is that I recently had a successful DVD data disc that somehow became damaged (surface scratches as far as I could see). I was not aware the disc was damaged so I continued to ask the drive to refresh. When I realized the disc was damaged I tried to copy the info off to the HDD so I could re-burn the non-corrupted files to a new disc. Obviously the damaged section of the disc was not able to be copied but all other info was. I mention this only because one thread suggested that a damaged (physical) disc could lead to the computer reading errors and defaulting to PIO instead of DMA (that thread offered advice on how to get the IDE to reset - I’ve followed that thread and here I still am).

I realize I’ve left a lengthy post and I apologize for that. However this forum appears to have some bright minds and I’d like to offer as much information in the initial post so as to reduce the number of question/clarification posts to a minimum.

Thanks in advance for your collective adivce…

(and because I’ve read many posts, I thank you now for welcoming me to the forum :wink: )

redout, welcome to cdfreaks - nice first post :slight_smile:

Obviously the drive being in PIO mode is the reason it is slow. It must run in DMA mode.

1/ Have you checked the BIOS to make sure DMA is enabled there?
2/ Place the drive as the only device on the secondary IDE channel and see if it runs in DMA mode.
3/ Delete the IDE channel that shows the drive as PIO mode. It doesn’t matter if this is the primary IDE channel with the HD on it. That is a fallacy. If you delete the primary IDE channel with an HD connect Windows will immediately say that you have to reboot and after the reboot Windows will locate the drive again. But make sure you try the DVD writer on the secondary IDE by itself first. :wink:

Thanks for the advice, I will try them in order as soon as I figure out how to do option 2 and 3.
Step 2 (putting the dvd drive on the secondary IDE channel) seems like it’s a physical option (open the case and unplug devices) but I may be wrong…
Last night I uninstalled the drive with device manager and rebooted. Can I assume deleting the IDE channel is accomplished the same way? (after I try the secondary IDE channel option first of course).

Thanks again for the help.

Ok. Checked BIOS and it shows under [I/O config] & [ECP DMA select = 3] and the info I can see during bootup shows the Primary Master (the dvd drive) as a UDMA4 device (I assume it’s telling me it’s a capable device but not neccessarily currently enabled).
In the BIOS I noticed that the Secondary master and slave were set to [auto]. I’m probably going to try it this way but can I change to the secondary IDE channel through the BIOS? It’s likely that I’m confusing primary and secondary IDE channels with primary and secondary devices but I’ve got to ask so people can see my trial-and-error pattern. (scary isn’t it… :bigsmile: )
Results to follow unless there is another reply between now and then.

<fingers crossed>

SUCCESS!! I changed the DVD drive to the Secondary IDE channel by plugging into the secondary IDE port on the MOBO and it’s working fine now. WOO HOO.
In my previous post I think I went to the wrong section for verifying DMA in the BIOS. I found it in where I think I was supposed to the first time and the result was the same - the BIOS showed DMA enabled.

All this leaves me with 1 question: What would have made this happen in the first place? The only thing that changed was a format/reinstall of my OS and then that scratched disc problem. Strange.
Can I assume there’s no reason to try to put the DVD back on the primary IDE channel?

Thanks again for your help C0deKing!!
:bow: