Slot drive versus Yray

vbimport

I’d like to know the pros and cons for a DVD-Rom Slot drive, when compared to one with a tray.

I’m going to be buying a new DVD-Rom drive (to extend the life of my DVD Writer), but I need to choose either Slot or Tray. The usual searching/Googling has yielded nothing, so I ask the experts. :bow:

Kisses XXOOXX
Jen

The difference i think that the slot drive become more dirty than a tray drive, because a Slot drive is always open. This is my personal oppinion… maybe other users have made other experiences…

Remember that you cannot use 8cm discs in a slot drive.

[1st post, yay]

punistation, you may have bought the drive already but I still wanted to give you my input on the issue. As Chriso said, slot drives cannot play 8cm disks. I don’t know about you but personally I haven’t even seen one of those myself. They are very rare so the con is minimal. On the plus side, slot drives look very sleek. I’ve been using a pioneer 12x DVD for almost 3 years now and works perfectly. The mechanism is very similar to that of a car CD player. You put the disk in the slot about halfway in. Then apply a slight pressure and the drive takes it in. My drive has a felt in the cover to prevent dust from getting in. I don’t know if this is a common feature but mine has it. I honestly wish all drives came in slot format or at the very least all manufacturers offered a slot version of the drive.

Hope my words helped a bit. Take care

-Z

Thanks for all the input, guys. (Did I really spell the thread title “Yray?” Yikes!)

I went and got a tray drive because Slot was no longer an option. Good thing, too. I do have a couple of mini-CD’s, and I’d hate to lose them.

Besides, wouldn’t dust be an issue with a slot drive? The opening is just an open hole as far as I know. :confused:

Kisses XXOOXX
Jen