Slim laptop drive to usb?

vbimport

Hello,i want to ask you gys,if ther’ a way somehow to connect the slim internal drives intended for laptops to usb somehow for use with a normal dekstop pc?

http://www.meritline.com/usb-5-25-external-slim-drive-enclosure-laptop-dvd-cd-r-w.html

Yes. You can buy enclosures for them just like you can for the full size drives. You might want to get one with its own power supply though. My experience is they take more power than the USB port provides if you are burning discs with them.

I cant find one on my country.What type of connection do they have?Both for power supply and data transfer cable.

Is it the same as the 5.25 ide drives?Cause i can get cases and external cables for that.

I see you haven’t found a slot loading drive yet other than a lappy drive? Just curious.

Well there’s only one samsung slim with usb2.0 support that costs 140 euros,which is crazy,then the lg i was considering i’ve discovered that its not a slot type,so that leaves the nec and pioneer slimntype drives,which i suppose i’ll go for the nec one.So that begs the question how shall i connect it.

BTW lappy drive you mean laptop drive?

So anyway,what’s the power supply and data transfer types of a slimline drive?Is there a direct cable like the ones that existe for ide/sate 2 usb.No case required i mean.

[QUOTE=therock003;2068562]I cant find one on my country.What type of connection do they have?Both for power supply and data transfer cable.

Is it the same as the 5.25 ide drives?Cause i can get cases and external cables for that.[/QUOTE]

You want something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817387028 and this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106096 You shouldn’t need any cables because the slim drive lines up with the socket in the case. It slides into the enclosure just like it would slide into a laptop computer. Then use the adapter included with the case to power the drive.

[QUOTE=therock003;2068603]Well there’s only one samsung slim with usb2.0 support that costs 140 euros,which is crazy,then the lg i was considering i’ve discovered that its not a slot type,so that leaves the nec and pioneer slimntype drives,which i suppose i’ll go for the nec one.So that begs the question how shall i connect it.

So anyway,what’s the power supply and data transfer types of a slimline drive?Is there a direct cable like the ones that existe for ide/sate 2 usb.No case required i mean.[/QUOTE]

You should buy a external enclosure for a slim drives and then fit your new NEC or Pioneer slim drive in it.
It will be much cheaper than those Samsung for 140 euros…
Possible data transfers - USB or FireWire, power supply is external, energy supplied by USB port is not enough in most cases.

Ok so iseem to have found this one here in Greece

http://www.pc-store.gr/product_details.php?category_id=0&manf=36&item_id=312

It seem fairly priced at 35 euros (does it not?) and i will probably combine in with the nec slim drive slot-in type.

Is this a good combo?

One last thing.

Are slimlin prone to damage and early retirement?Cause so far my first laptops drive died like from 3 years usage,and my next laptops acer aspire drive died after two.It now only reads pressed discs and burned cd-r.

Will i have trouble with this version of slim drive?Should i be better of getting a slim portable drive to get it over with?

[QUOTE=therock003;2068632]Ok so iseem to have found this one here in Greece

It seem fairly priced at 35 euros (does it not?) and i will probably combine in with the nec slim drive slot-in type.

Is this a good combo?

One last thing.

Are slimlin prone to damage and early retirement?Cause so far my first laptops drive died like from 3 years usage,and my next laptops acer aspire drive died after two.It now only reads pressed discs and burned cd-r.

Will i have trouble with this version of slim drive?Should i be better of getting a slim portable drive to get it over with?[/QUOTE]
Yes, it is a good combo. And yes, slim drives are more problematic than regular ones. Especially those made by TSST :Z
Basically there is no difference between a slim portable drive and enclosure+internal slim drive combination.

[QUOTE=therock003;2068632]Ok so iseem to have found this one here in Greece

Is this a good combo?

One last thing.

Will i have trouble with this version of slim drive?Should i be better of getting a slim portable drive to get it over with?[/QUOTE]
Yes, it is a good combo. And yes, slim drives are more problematic than regular ones. Especially those made by TSST :Z
Basically there is no difference between a slim portable drive and enclosure+internal slim drive combination.

Well obviously they are (more problematic),but question is are they all doomed to up to 2 years of life?Sad thing is, i had to find this out the hard way,by personal experience and not by people saying “hey the are problematic!”

So i’m really cautious about spending 80+ euros for yet another slimline drive that will die on me on a maximum of 3 years.So what can be said about that?

[QUOTE=therock003;2068603]Well there’s only one samsung slim with usb2.0 support that costs 140 euros,which is crazy,then the lg i was considering i’ve discovered that its not a slot type,so that leaves the nec and pioneer slimntype drives,which i suppose i’ll go for the nec one.So that begs the question how shall i connect it.

So anyway,what’s the power supply and data transfer types of a slimline drive?Is there a direct cable like the ones that existe for ide/sate 2 usb.No case required i mean.[/QUOTE]yes lappy drive i mean laptop drive.

I replied in your looking for slot loading drive thread if you remember me. Just curious as to what you have found.

Yes i remeber of course,i just need to make sure that lappy is indeed laptop.

Anyway i’m still between the lg and the nec 630 with the external enclosure.NEC is slot type and i have a positive experience with me nec 5.25 burner as oposed to lg which i dont know pretty well.