Slim dvd adapters

vbimport

I’m building my own PC case and I wanted to use a slim LiteOn DVD recorder. Now I will need an adapter to change the 50pin IDE to something more digestible for my motherboard, but, to my despair, the only things that I could find on the net are those flat slimCD/40 pin IDE adapters. Are there no other adapters available on the market? I mean, e.g. a 50pin to SATA, to USB, Firewire, even to IDE but in a form of a cable? Please let me know if you know about any.

Hi and Welcome,

these adapters are the only ones you can get. What is the problam with these?

Apart from that, I would recommend using a half-height drive since these are much better and there is something like firmware support (nearly nonexistant with slim drives)

Michael

Thanks,
The reason I need this is because the standard adapters are a bit too large (usually they are as high as normal CD/DVD drives, which kills the point of having a smaller drive, I think) and I wanted to have a slim drive exactly because I will only have that much space in my case. Moreover, the distance from the DVD to the motherboard will be a bit more than a standard IDE cable has, which means I’ll need to use and extension, and just for the sake of using less space and keeping things tidy, I wanted to use the small SATA or USB cable rather than the flat 40pins.
In the meantime, I found SATA adapters, but these are even larger.
Is it maybe possible to get a m-f extension cable for the slim DVD IDE standard? So that I could place this whole adapter somewhere else in the case?

@ sfokt,

You are overlooking the point that Forum Member mciahel is making concerning using a Slim Line DVD Burner. Even the most full featured “Top Of The Line” Slim Line DVD Burner will never be able to perform as good as any Half Height DVD Burner.

Strongly recommend obtaining any one of the many readily available quality Half Height IDE DVD Burners and an Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable of the correct length for your computer. They make Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cables in different lengths and it is not difficult in obtaining the correct length Cable for your particular configuration. This will far exceed the performance level than can be obtained by attempting to use your LiteOn Slim Line DVD Burner.

If your MotherBoard supports the SATA interface a Half Height SATA DVD Burner and SATA Cable will even exceed the performance level of Half Height IDE DVD Burner/Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable and performance wise will far exceed your LiteOn Slim Line DVD Burner.

Regards,
bjkg

Hi!
You’re right, thanks.
Would you mind pointing me in the right direction then, because I tried to google some Half-Height recorders, but all I found were actually 41.3mm high, while a slim one is only 12mm - where can I find any that would have a size similar to a slim DVD rec?

@ sfokt,

Perhaps the below CD Freaks “Top 5” would be an excellent place to start your search ->

http://www.cdfreaks.com/devices/

Either the Pioneer DVR-115D (IDE) or Pioneer DVR-215D (SATA) are excellent “Half High” DVD Burners.

Regards,
bjkg

[quote=sfokt;2062139]The reason I need this is because the standard adapters are a bit too large (usually they are as high as normal CD/DVD drives, which kills the point of having a smaller drive, I think)[/quote]There is no point with a smaller drive unless you want to build some ultra-compact system.

and I wanted to have a slim drive exactly because I will only have that much space in my case. Moreover, the distance from the DVD to the motherboard will be a bit more than a standard IDE cable has
This is a really strange construction :confused: If the distance is that large (standard IDE cable has to be 46 cm (18")), then there should be enough space for a Half-Height drive.

Is it maybe possible to get a m-f extension cable for the slim DVD IDE standard? So that I could place this whole adapter somewhere else in the case?
Dell and HP/Compaq had slim desktop systems with slim drives installed. Maybe you can get a cable as spare part.
In case of USB, you can buy an external slim drive and rip it apart in order to install it internally using USB connection then. But it is not sure, if you can boot off such a unit.

[quote=sfokt;2062362]Hi!
Would you mind pointing me in the right direction then, because I tried to google some Half-Height recorders, but all I found were actually 41.3mm high, while a slim one is only 12mm - where can I find any that would have a size similar to a slim DVD rec?[/quote]The formfactors of optical drives are standardized:
Half-Height is ~ 41 mm high,
Slim is 12,5 mm and
Ultra-Slim is 9,5 mm.

Michael