Slightly Disappointed in lack of media overspeeds in 1620

vbimport

I just got a NU Technology (Rebadged 1620) from NewEgg and flashed it to B7P9
firmware. I’ve also got a NEC 3500A drive as well. I’m somewhat disappointed in the lack of overspeeded media compared to the NEC. Example Ricoh 2.4X can only be written at rated speed as well as Prodisc S03 4x. In my NEC using stock firmware, I can write the Ricoh 2.4x at 4x and the Prodisc S03’s at 8x. Some media (I have a big variety) can’t be written at all by the BenQ.

Also have one question concerning the record LED. Does it flash red while recording normally, or do I have a problem? It’s set as Master onit’s own IDE channel and it’s in DMA mode in the device manager.

Thanks,

Yes it flashes red, and the 1620 burns most 8x media faster. I believe they went with more current media for a reason. 4x media is no longer made, and thus is a legacy product. The quality control for most 4x media and 2.4x media as well, is not as good as the newer 8-16x media

I’ll beg to differ, the scans in CDSpeed quality test written by my NEC 3500 on both medias are as good as any 8X media I’ve tested thus far with the exception of TY’s.

Even using a hacked firmware to write the 2.4x Ricoh’s @ 8x, it was still excellent.

Does that mean your Benq only allows to burn RicohjpnR00 @2.4 ?

Some media (I have a big variety) can’t be written at all by the BenQ.
What does can’t be written at all mean in practice ? Also give some media code examples.
I have no doubts that a patched Benq firmware will burn RicohjpnR00 @8x. They burned fine on Liteon burners, sometimes even better than R01. The NEC can handle them, so will the Benq.

pls plost some media codes…that cant be written…for me…since 4x is a legacy…and NEC3500 quality scans are yucky…i got no complains with BenQ drives…

Yes, only at 2.4x

What does can’t be written at all mean in practice ? Also give some media code examples.
I have no doubts that a patched Benq firmware will burn RicohjpnR00 @8x. They burned fine on Liteon burners, sometimes even better than R01. The NEC can handle them, so will the Benq.

I have some old Princo -R’s 1x’s that the NEC will burn @ 2x that the BenQ refuses to burn at all (error pop-up in Nero and RecordNow before recording starts, burner then ejects media) also some LD01’s -R’s 2x, same thing, works in NEC (though not great) but BenQ refuses to burn. I realize that these medias are both junk, but it’d still be nice to at least burn them. Guess I’ll have to use the NEC for them.

Does anyone make a patched BenQ firmware?

well i can still you…junk those princos on NEC…Benq just would not burn 1x/2x medias( old media quality is very bad…i can tell you that for sure )…

when i saw you still had 1x media i was like :bow:…how many pcs you bought?..recently??..

For Princo -R 1x ? No way :slight_smile:

My first dvd burner was a Pioneer 102, I’ve got approx 500 blanks sitting here now from various sales down the years. Mostly 8x TY’s and 4x Ricoh 01’s. It would be nice to burn the Ricoh 00’s faster though. I’ve burned approx 2500 dvd on various burners. Mostly Pioneer and NEC and Lite-On’s. This is my first BenQ.

I love the burner, just would like the Ricoh 00’s to burn faster than 2.4x, they burn flawlessly @ 8x in my NEC.

I don’t buy any PC’s. I build them. Currently I have a P4 2.4 800 Hyperthreading oc’d to 3.2 and a AMD 2400 on a NForce and a P4 2.53 533 FSB.

To my experience, BenQ does fairly good burns at 8 to 12x burnspeeds, especially on DVD+R media. Looks like BenQ engineers been concentrating on quality in this burnspeed (media) segment.
2.4x burnspeed, seems to be a forgotten brother in BenQ 1620p firmware…

But my NEC 3500 beats BenQ quality at 2.4, 4 and 16x burnspeeds, on most of the media I’m using.
Not only this, NEC burns them faster at same choosen burnspeed.

Finally, not all old media is bad media. I have some 1y old 4x speed Sony´s (RICOHJPNR01) that burn better at 8x on all my burners then any nowdays 4x media.

:slight_smile:

lost me ther…i was saying how many pcs of 2x medias you still have…

i dont understand it, why not just burn those media on the NEC then? But also try to send an email to benQ, maybe they’ll add better support to older media on their next firmware.

nm

I was thinking of selling the NEC, but I think I’ll hang onto it for now. Why not have the best of both worlds? I still have about 100 pcs. of old Ricoh 00’s media left. I paid over $200 after rebates for my first burner (sounds crazy nowdays). The media wasn’t cheap then either!!

Thanks to all that replied,

I think you should read the media support list of various versions of firmware, if your media are not listed. I’d email BenQ for support. Sorry not able to help.

I still have some 1x PRINCOs stashed around here somewhere… :stuck_out_tongue:

Those were the days…

Looks over at his Sony DRU500 in the corner

It’s no secret the BenQ doesn’t burn - media below 4x. Where’s our FAQ sticky?

Disappointed in the lack of overspeed? Huh?
When I saw that, I had to read it twice to be sure that’s really what it said.
Yep.
I’ve been having trouble with too much overspeed. For instance, when running a backup operation, the backup software does not have speed control (always maximum). So, I need less overspeed to make good backups.
And there’s many medias that overspeed gracefully to 12x, but there are far too many that overspeed to 16x for fast, low quality. Less overspeed please!!!

I agree. I never burn above 12x on any media if I can help it. But the Ricoh 00’s and Prodisc S03’s can easily do 8x with no problems.