SLI or Not?

vbimport

Ok, I think maybe this has been talked about before but I’ll ask again for my review. Is it worth getting two card of same make and specs and connected them SLI even if I don’t use games that would make use of the SLI connections?? Currently for example I have a single GTX260core216 and have a extra PCI-e slot for another GPU and was going to put another GTX260core216 into that slot and SLI them together. But as of now I don’t have current games or productivity software that makes use of the configuration. Would it at this time be worth going SLI or just remaining a single GPU that I currently have??? Also what if the specs of the one GPU is less but not much different from the current specs of the GPU I am using in my system would that affect game performance cause of the slight different in GPU specs? I am posting part of the specs of each board and the will show where each is slightly different but not buy much.

This is the GPU I currently own the xfx…

Chipset
Chipset Manufacturer NVIDIA
GPU GeForce GTX 260
Core Clock 666MHz
Stream Processors 216 Processor Cores
Memory
Memory Clock 2300MHz
Memory Size 896MB
Memory Interface 448-bit
Memory Type GDDR3

Chipset
Chipset Manufacturer NVIDIA
GPU GeForce GTX 260
Core Clock 626MHz
Stream Processors 216 Processor Cores
Memory
Memory Clock 2106MHz (effective)
Memory Size 896MB
Memory Interface 448-bit
Memory Type GDDR3

If you notice the Core clock and memory clock is close but not by much. Should I go for another or just stay with the single GPU for the time being. But I would like to in the future use SLI but the card is expensive so that is what makes it hard to decide to get or no. Could we also limit the response to these two card for the moment. If I need another higher version card I will decide at that time but for now it’s just about these two cards and if they match up correctly in SLI setup.

Hi,

if I have understood you correctly, you have no application for a SLI setup in the near future.
My suggestion: Stick with what you have, and if the time has come you need more GPU power, then upgrade your existing GPU. I think, you are better off that way.

Michael

Yes, at this point in time I don’t have a need for SLI and if I do the second GPU will force me to move two HDD to another location in the case and that will be another chore to do again. But I hadn’t had much use for going SLI thought it sounds impressive and all as well as being a expensive upgrade to do. I generally sticking to one GPU for now.

I have to agree with mciahel if you have no software or games to take advantage
of SLI then it would be a waste of money to invest in another video card. Now as
for the differences in the core and memory speed of the cards If I’m not mistaken
I believe the SLI set up would only run as fast as the slowest card but I’m not all
that sure as I’ve never had the reason to do SLI or Crossfire. :disagree:

It’s nice to be able to have SLI but if I don’t get full usage of both it does defeat the purpose of getting the two but it does sounds nice to have if one can afford the SLI feature. I just keep this in for future thoughts if I decide to go but as anything it does come with a heafty price tag doing SLI.

when the time comes that you need more gpu power you’ll probably be better off selling your 260 and buying a more powerful single card, especially with dx11 on the horizon. your single 260 should be able to run any upcoming games for a while… unless you’re running >1900x1200 resolution there’s really no reason to upgrade now

coolcolors, what is you MB model?

[QUOTE=eric93se;2483998]coolcolors, what is you MB model?[/QUOTE]

It’s a Asus M4N72-E with 140watt and AM3 cpu support with latest Bios updated as well as mobo drivers.

Looks like a good board. I wasn’t sure you had an SLI MB, because now people with crossfire boards can run SLI with modified drivers. I’m in that boat where my MB is crossfire and I have a gtx260, but currently no need for sli because current games aren’t slowing the card down. Hopefully the mod for sli will get more automated or simpler.

Yeah unless you need it theres no point in wasting money. Besides if you wait a while and still want it the card will become cheaper.

Personally i still run on a single core 3.4Ghz on this internet computer because it dose the trick. And my mobo can hold a 4x but i don’t need it on this computer. (Let me tell you this 3.4 is a beast for a single core and thats not on OC)