Skype problem with sound?

vbimport

We are just wondering what could be the problem as whenever my fiance and I talk her volume is really low, then all of a sudden it will go high for no reason, the low for no reason. Then if she brings up a webpage theres a screeching noise. She has bought new head phones, a new mic etc…still no difference. A new USB, no difference. Her internet speed is fast. We have checked the microphone levels on the PS and they are fine and checked them on skype. Dont know what else to do as the problem is at her end not mine. Her camera goes off and on oftern too. She has plenty of memory space on her PC. She can hear and see me just fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

[QUOTE=lastfirst;2639832]We are just wondering what could be the problem as whenever my fiance and I talk her volume is really low, then all of a sudden it will go high for no reason, the low for no reason. Then if she brings up a webpage theres a screeching noise. She has bought new head phones, a new mic etc…still no difference. A new USB, no difference. Her internet speed is fast. We have checked the microphone levels on the PS and they are fine and checked them on skype. Dont know what else to do as the problem is at her end not mine. Her camera goes off and on oftern too. She has plenty of memory space on her PC. She can hear and see me just fine.

Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

You didn’t give much specs or details to go off as to the cause?? We need hardware specs and O/S specs and Skype version to know where to look for the cause of the problem?

We need hardware specs and O/S specs and Skype version to know where to look for the cause of the problem?

Please could you tell me how I find out that information?

I know its a Windows 7 PC she has and the latest Version of Skype.

Use another FREE program. skype is malwared.

[QUOTE=chef;2639869]Use another FREE program. skype is malwared.[/QUOTE]

:iagree: Plus all conversations are monitored and recorded by the company and various authorities whether it is text or video, there was an article about it last year.

[B]SJ[/B]

I haven’t found any malware in Skype .
I use Vista as my OS & an older version of Skype.
I tried a newer version a while back & it just caused problems .
The Skype version I’m using is 4.0.0.206.
So I don’t know if what I’m posting will help you with a newer version .
Also I don’t use a web cam with Skype.

Try these tips:

1. This is an uninstall ,cleaning, & correct reinstall of Skype:
    Right click on "My computer"
    Properties
    Advanced
    Environment Variables
    Add
    devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
    Value = 1
    reboot

Right click on "My computer"
Properties
Hardware
Device manager
View
show "hidden devices"
now delete grayed out audio drivers

NOTE: You will need to know your Skype login name and password in order to log in after this

installation, so make sure that you know them and/or have a note of them somewhere. Also, there is a

small chance that your contacts could be lost when you reinstall, so it’s a good idea to back them up to

a file (Skype/Contacts/Advanced/Back up Contacts to File). Your contacts should come back when you log

in to the fresh installation, so you probably won’t need this file, but just in case…

Remove Skype through (Orb) / Control Panel / Programs / Uninstall a Program. If it asks you if you

want to remove chat history or whatever, say yes.

Start Windows Explorer (click Computer in the Orb menu or on the desktop), and in the address bar

type %AppData%. In the list of folders that comes up, if there is a folder called Skype, delete it. Look

carefully, because this list is not guaranteed to be in alphabetical sequence.

Install Skype again. When the installation window first comes up, click “Options” at the lower left corner,

and in the window that brings up, un-check everything. EVERYTHING, especially the Skype Extras and

the plug-ins for Internet Explorer and Firefox.

After the installation finishes, start Skype. It should bring up the “create a new account” window. If it

doesn’t, if it still knows your login name or even logs you in automatically, then you overlooked the

Skype folder in %AppData%. Repeat this procedure, and look again, carefully.

Once you get this done correctly, and the new account window comes up, click “cancel” in that window,

log in with your Skype name and password, and the audio settings should be working and saved again.

1. If you are experiencing a bad sound quality in the voice over IP software skype you might want to try the following.
    This can be a quite complex problem but one thing that can really do the trick is to delete the file [B]shared.xml[/B]
    which contains host cache information which is basically a list of Skype super-nodes and host pairs that are needed to run Skype properly.
    This file will rebuild on reboot but will be cleaned & smaller.
    I delete it about once a month.

In Vista this is located at: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Skype

1. In Skype -> Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Connection
    "Use port_____for incoming connections", choose random port number that is above 1024. Something between 20000 and 50000, and not the default port.
    Uncheck " Use port 80 and 443 as alternatives for incoming connections" . Restart Skype .

4.This is more in depth & involves working with the registry . If you aren’t experenced in working with the registry you might want to skip this.
I can’t remember but I think I had to create some of the key for Skype/Phone & the dword .
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Skype]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Skype\Phone]
“DisableSupernode”=dword:00000001

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2639974]:iagree: Plus all conversations are monitored and recorded by the company and various authorities whether it is text or video, there was an article about it last year.[/QUOTE]
I know MS applied for a patent on software that would do this.
I never heard if they got it.
I think the shear volume would make this hard to do .
Still Skype is encrypted so it would have to be able to break the encryption.
I only use Skype over my online phone number . I’ve checked this with my cell phone & the outgoing number constantly changes . I think this would make monitoring & recording difficult .

In the long run any phone service can be tapped & monitored by the various governments . At least maybe . This is supposed to require a warrant (in the USA) but who knows since the so called “Patriot Act” . Anything the US government wants to do that violates the Constitution now becomes “Homeland Security” issues.

[QUOTE=cholla;2640010]
Still [B]Skype is encrypted[/B] so it would have to be able to break the encryption.
.[/QUOTE]

Riiiight[B]!![/B]…Just like all these financial and government websites that has data theft from hackers.

[B]SJ[/B]

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2640024]Riiiight[B]!![/B]…Just like all these financial and government websites that has data theft from hackers. [/QUOTE]
I don’t doubt the government or even better hackers can crack the encryption . In my case they wouldn’t find anything. So a waste of their time.
Then multipy that by all the calls made on Skype in just one day .
Then the harddrive space to store it & the personel to do the listening.

@ lastfirst , Did you get the problem fixed ?
If so what did you do ?