Skype is Free Internet Telephony!

vbimport

What is Skype ?

July 27, 2004 — Skype 1.0 — Global Calling, Local Rates

Today Skype launches its free, Skype for Windows Version 1.0 software, which includes SkypeOut,
enabling Skype users to pre-pay and call any phone number in the world at highly competitive local rates.
Also included in Skype 1.0 is a new file transfer feature and other software enhancements…

Thanks to our beta users evangelising Skype, their continued feedback and our exceptional development team, Skype now delivers on the long anticipated promise of Internet telephony,” said Niklas Zennström, Skype CEO and co-founder. “Skype is helping consumers everywhere move beyond the limitations of last century’s telecommunications tools to experience new value and quality.”

” I knew it was over when I downloaded Skype,” Michael Powell, chairman, Federal Communications Commission, explained. “When the inventors of KaZaA are distributing for free a little program that you can use to talk to anybody else, and the quality is fantastic, and it’s free – it’s over.
The world will change now inevitably.”

Fortune Magazine, 16th February 2004

@Moderators,

please enable my IMG code, it’s currently OFF @this forum.

i’ve been trying it since 0.97 beta, and it is the BEST voice over ip i’ve ever used.
delay is ZERO, instant delivery of voice to the remote party…

but i have 1 question: did anybody tried it with windows 98? does it work or blocks everything? i have an XP machine, but a family members is using win98, and i would like to see if it works before leting him mess the PC.

Is Skype available for Mac OS, Linux, Palm OS, Pocket PC…?

Currently, Skype is available for Windows 2000, XP, Pocket PC and Linux. Stay tuned for more information about other platforms.

Can I use Skype with Windows 98 or Windows ME?

Because it hasn’t been fully tested, we have not yet certified Skype for use with these operating systems. Skype may work with Windows 98 or ME but we cannot yet guarantee compatibility. Some WinME/9x video (and possibly other) drivers tend to use 100% of processor for their needs for relatively long periods of time. This can cause the audio quality to degrade significantly. In addition, WinME/9x does not offer full unicode support, which means that some things may not display properly. Skype does not work on WinNT at the moment. We may support these platforms in the future and will make any future announcements on our website.

I saw this on the website, but I am asking if anybody really tried it on a windows 98 machine?

Look, don’t you really think I didn’t get the point with your Q “did anybody tried it with windows 98?”.
How come is it possible to try it without doing it “really” ?

If you did see the A & Qs ( as well as my quotation of it here )
and yet still are not sure what’s behind the System Requirements,
then why don’t you just go ahead and really test it by yourself ?
What keeps you waiting for so long , i.e. from v.0,97 to 0,98 to 1.0.0.10 ?

Well well well, no need to get touchy.

Your answer doesn’t show that you have personally “tried” it. In fact, your answer gave no information whatsoever. Guy knows that software hasn’t been “tested” on W98, and that W98 “isn’t supported”. What he WANTS to know, is wether it actually doesn’t work AT ALL, or perhaps it works, but only for some and with (minor) glitches.

We all can be smart, but let’s rather be friendly and helpful.

i didn’t try it because i don’t have a windows 98 machine…

i want to see if there is at least 1 using it with win98 and it works, so to tell my relatives in a far country to install it.
i don’t want let them try and mess the PC, as they will not be able to fix it if real problems/conflicts happen.

Son, what are you talking about and whom do you refer your appeal to ?
In any case, it’s been fun to read you interpretation of the thoughts of whoever it might be in your thoughts.

Do me a favor and and, pls, read/view the posts over again, this time more carefully.

You must be very proud of that “son” line - took time to come up with it, eh?:wink:

Allrighty then, let’s go through it line by line.

Look, don’t you really think I didn’t get the point with your Q “did anybody tried it with windows 98?”.

Yes, I bet he really thought that you didn’t get his point. I know I did. In fact, I believe everyone with a tad of common sense would think the same. Why? Read on.

How come is it possible to try it without doing it “really” ?

Nice point! You know, you might be right. On the other hand, it’s more than possible to come up with too strict requirements - just to be on the safe side. Read on…

If you did see the A & Qs ( as well as my quotation of it here )
and yet still are not sure what’s behind the System Requirements,
then why don’t you just go ahead and really test it by yourself ?

Tadam! Seems it’s not me, but in fact you who has problems reading posts! Let me point out the exact place to save you time:

i have an XP machine, but a family members is using win98, and i would like to see if it works before leting him mess the PC.

Surely a senior person like you wouldn’t miss the fact that he just can’t try it himself! Furthermore, wouldn’t it be funny if someone like you would miss the point - he wasn’t talking about the system requirements, instead, he was talking about the actual situation, which God knows can differ!

So to put all the irony aside - having 5k posts doesn’t make you all godly and stuff. Doesn’t put you into a position to flame anyone and everyone. If you don’t have what to say then don’t. You ain’t helping. You ain’t contributing. You’re missing the point.

Now, before you start flaming - don’t. I know I’m all that. And that aswell. Save your time.

Contribute.

QQuxa,

Please stop running your mouth here or @all -
“touchy”, “stop flaming”, “start flaming”, “problems reading”, “proud”…
What are you talkin’ about ?

Get the program ( if you like ) and begin discussing it here, all right ?
If you don’t have what to say then don’t.

As for the contribution, start reading my 5k posts, son, and don’t waste any1’s time and bandwidth here.

We know this may be the first time in 11 months that we have written to you. For that we are sorry. It has been a busy time for us and we have grown. Our hair is longer and a bit greyer but more importantly, Skype has grown. Skype is now 1.0.

So, what does this mean?

Well, apart from the extra dot and zero, Skype 1.0 means we have officially grown up from being a “beta” and, thanks to the help of all 8 million of you, our Skype friends, we have worked out all the major bugs in our software. In a way, it’s a little bit like riding a bicycle without the training wheels. With version 1.0 we have also come up with several new features, including:

SkypeOut. Sometimes not all the voices you would like to hear use Skype. That’s why we have made SkypeOut, a low cost way to make calls to friends who only have a landline or mobile phone. With SkypeOut you can call anyone anywhere in the world at local rates.

If you want to use SkypeOut, you can add credit to your account using any major credit card. Though please do not forget to remind whoever you call, that once they start using Skype, you can talk to each other for free.

File Transfer. It sounds cuckoo but you can now use Skype to transfer files up to 2 gigabytes to your friends in a fast and easy way. Oh, and file transfers are end-to-end encrypted, just like the Skype to Skype calls are.

Skype Sharing Tools. We have come up with some nice ways to help you share Skype with a friend. You probably know this but the more friends you share us with, the more friends you can talk to for free. Think of it as a big love in… but without the kissing… yes… definitely without the kissing. Have a look at look at what we are talking about at skype.com/go/share.

One thing we didn’t change in the new Skype 1.0 is the fact that Skype to Skype calls are and always will be free. If that sounds good to you, you can get the brand new Skype 1.0 here.

So that’s it. That’s what we have been working on for the past 11 months. As we mentioned before, we can send you updates of what we get up to, new services, features and other relevant Skype stuff. Just let us know by clicking this link.

Best wishes and Happy 1.0,

The people at Skype

Sheesh kid (see, I can do that aswell - wee @ me), you’re using my lines! Guy asked for help - you didn’t help but flamed instead. Is that contribution? Is that what your 5k posts are all about? Sorry, I don’t see that as contribution, even though you’re obviously oh so proud about it.

What are you talkin’ about ?

How about using your own advice and actually reading the posts? Or do you want me to quote the dictionary to explain meaning of those words? You can do better than that.

QQuxa,

This thread is about Skype 1.0. Pls do me a favor and help yourself with keeping it the right way.
In my POV, you could @least have gone ahead and answered the guy’s question by yourself
without getting involved into the pointless investigations of the imaginary enemy.
Or you simply cannot breathe and feel yourself healthy & stable without non-fighting kinda envirement ?

Once again, what STILL stops you from installing the prog and getting to the heart of the matter ?

You’re right - there’s no need to keep flooding this place.

To answer your question - I didn’t answer the guy cause I don’t have Windows 98 either.