Sky DVD-R Media: total crap?

I bought a set of 10 DVD-R media produced by Sky Media (website here, seemly not working) and I had a bad, bad surprise. In fact, none of them worked. :frowning: Burning was fine, then every last one of the discs had unrecoverable erors starting at 30% to 70-80% (while reading the entire disc). The DVD-R discs have been written @ 2X (first two of them). The rest i’ve burned @ 1X and still the unreadable data was there. Impossible to use, a total crap. I’ve tried to access their website and ended up with DNS errors :a Seemly, they produce probably the worst DVD-R media ever. The CDs they make are ok, though. But I was about to lose some good money if I had deleted the data from the HDD right after burning each DVD-R.

If you have any knowledge of those DVD-Rs please reply.

Could you perhaps post the ADIP of these discs? I’m quite curious who produces this crap…!

Originally posted by Dee-ehn

I’m quite curious who produces this crap…!
SKY Media Manufacturing (Switzerland) SA

Ok, there’s what DVDInfo Pro tells us about DVD-R Media produced by Sky Manufacturing:

Media Information                            

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID SMMR01
Format Capacity Blank
Free Blocks 412352512
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed Unknown
Write Strategy Speed 1.0x 1385KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

I will use another info tool, but which one?

Originally posted by war4peace

I will use another info tool, but which one?
AFAIK, KProbe

KProbe website is down…
But I’ve come across some beautiful tools located here. Please point on the best ones… Or should I download all of them? Sounds tempting to me, I guess I will afterall :slight_smile:

What DVD burner did you use to burn these? I am hoping it was with how you burned them or some other issue that is not media related. I have ordered 100 of these since my Toshiba S-DR5002 has had no problems what-so-ever burning even the cheapest media, all be it, at 1xs. I have not received them yet, but bought the 2xs. I was hoping I could burn at 2xs, but if I can only burn at 1xs, for $64 at www.yesbuy.net, shipping included, I figured I was not gambling a whole lot. However, if ALL the discs are crap I will be upset.

Not ANY of these iscs worked. I’ve tried them on a NEC ND-1300A and it didn’t even start burning the discs! On a Sony DRU500AX the discs could be burned, but generated severe reading errors, I mean, geez, roughly 70% of the disc was completely unreadable. All the discs written with the Sony unit were unreadale in any unit (may it be DVD reader or writer).

I had plenty of these to burn and test, so Idid, unfortunately i had only 3 DVD writing units (but one of them was +RW only so I used it only for reading). I burned the discs at 1X and 2X speed, no difference in data quality. I could only burn with the Sony unit. NEC writer said “Media Error”. So I figure out that I got a bad release. The guys from the store where I bought the DVD-Rs said they couldn’t replace the discs, so I mailed Sky Media Manufacturing, no response yet. I guess I’d just lose the goddamn money.

Well, my Sky DVDs are suppose to come on Thursday. I’ll let you know of my experience. Maybe you got a bad release as you say, or maybe they’re all crap. What burning software are you using?

Yes, forgot to mention. I was using Nero 6.0.0.11, Nero 6.0.0.15, Nero 5.5.10.35, Nero 5.5.10.42, CloneDVD, EZ CD and DVD Maker (last one being a sh!tty software, I can tell u). I tried all kinds of combinations, none of them seemed to work. I was using different software on different computers, still unreadable data and incapacity of burning, in case of the NEC unit. The ND-1300A was however able to burn both Creation and Verbatim DVD-Rs at all speed, that is 1x, 2x, 2.4x, 4x.

So:

NEC ND-1300A + Nero 6.0.0.11 + Verbatim 4X certified = success!
NEC ND-1300A + Nero 6.0.0.11 + Sky 1x/2x = “Media error”
SONY DRU500AX + Nero 6.0.0.11 + Verbatim 4X certified = success!
SONY DRU500AX + Nero 6.0.0.11 + Sky 1x/2x = no errors burning, but unreadable data.

By the way, after burning with the Sony unit, the Sony DVD-reader could copy about 30% of the disc, that’s first 15-20% and last 10-15%, weird. NEC unit, however, could copy only about 10% at the beginning (copying slower and slower) and last 5% (at pretty high speed). I couldn’t post a graph of the reading with Nero CD Speed because well, i couldn’t wait a couple of days for it to parse the entire set of unreadable sectors :a

Well, my Sky media (2x) arrived today. I burned with Record Now Max with my Toshiba S-DR 5002 (x033 firmware upgrade) burner at 2xs without any problem at all. 30 minutes burn time on the dot and the outcome was as good as the Princo 1x I have been using up until now. So maybe you guys just got a bad batch. It was interesting to see that the Media ID for mine was different than yours. Mine was “MXL RG01.” When I looked this up, I found that this is the same media ID as Maxell 2x DVD Media! I’m keeping my batch and plan to burn, burn, burn!!!

I’ve talked to the distributer of the discs in my area, he told me he’d test the discs and replace them in case they wouldn’t work, I’ll expect him to come by Monday and give me some good media. He also said he didn’t have any problems with this kind of media so far, and that “it would be a better idea not to go around with telling people the media were bad”. Weird, I told him that unless I see good, reliable media, I won’t buy his discs anymore :frowning: not to mention the price was about $ 2 per disc.

I got a 5 spindle pack SKY DVD-R for EUR 4.99

They have the following info:

Media Information                            

Media code/Manufacturer ID 4MSYS202C1
Format Capacity Blank
Free Blocks 412352512
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 1.0x 1385KBps
Write Strategy Speed 1.0x 1385KBps
Number of Layers 1

Works ok…

Yeah, my provider has replaced my defective discs, problem is solved. Nevertheless, I won’t buy Sky DVDs unless no other option. Was a bad batch afterall…

I see it’s been a while since anybody updated this thread.

I just got 25 Sky Media 4X -R discs, and wonder of wonders, they work just fine.

A half-dozen flawless burns so far on my LiteOn 411S with firmware FSOF. (Actually a converted 401S, but that’s another story ;>)

Turns out these are AN32 discs. It’s etched on the center of each one. The media identifier info is included below.

They work in both my PC drives and two standalones, a Magnavox that will play anything and a Toshiba that plays -R only and is picky about that.

These discs look cheap. The blank mirror finish on top is uneven and the edges are irregular with bubbles and flakes showing. They come shrink-wrapped with no spindle. Hardly confidence-inspiring, but they work just fine.

Here’s the readout from one of the blanks using two separate apps:

DVDInfoPro:
Media Information
Media code/Manufacturer ID AN32
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 411107328
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 0B
2x Speed OPC power 10
2x Write Strategy field 1 11 87 78 80
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 06
4x Speed OPC power 17
4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 0F 0B 0B
4x Write Strategy field 2 98 08 0F 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 06
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 1C
4x Write Strategy field 4 13 A8 88 65
4x Write Strategy field 5 98 9A 88 80 00 00
4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
Number of Layers 1

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:AN32]

Disc Type : [DVD-R]
Manufacturer ID : [AN32]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x - 2x - 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3 MB = 4.38 GB]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

Sky DVD-R Media: total crap?

probably yes ! non of my newest burners could burn this babies!

her the link to the bloke who is responsible
at the support, Pascal :

ps@skymediamanufacturing.com

the adress of the plant :

Sky Media Manufacturing SA
Chemin des Cerisiers 27
Case postale 163
1462 Yvonand/VD
Switzerland
Tel +41 (0)24 420 19 60
Fax +41 (0)24 420 19 61

I bought my dvd writer - LG GSA-4040b and also one Sky cake box with 25 dvds X2.

I’ve burned 22 of them.

The first 10 didn’t finalize. So I’ve formatted the C: two times and installed fresh Win XP Pro OS.

The other 12 came out giving me SUCESSFUL BURNING. Working perfectly with no problems, one of them I even copied it back to the HD just to be sure I could delete the information.

Well for my surprise and complete despair, the next day none of the 12 DVDs worked in the LG writer drive.

I used a DVD rom Toshiba to read them, but using DVDinfo I saw that they were full of bad sectors or errors.

So because of that I returned back the LG drive, even after using 5 Verbatim x4 working with no problems.

I’m still completely pissed off.

werky,
forget this sky DVD’s, they are complete bullshit.
My 3 Writers didn’t even recognize there is a DVD
in the slot. I don’t understand that, since i used
for years the CD’s of them.

I wrote the company following e-mail :

Dear Pascal,
i just brought 3 cakeboxes with DVD-R, swiss made, sky, at a inter-discount store in switzerland,
well this babies don’t burn on any of my DVD burners

NEC-1300
LG M4040B-R, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM
SONY DRX-510UL DVD-R/+R/-+RW Drive, extern, USB 2.0 & FireWire

see also :

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=513597#post513597

further more make following, google advanced search

with all of the words: SKY
with the exact phrase: DVD-R

the results look like a catastrophe for your company.

so please let me know how to solve my problem or take the words “swiss made” of the print

Sincerely,

Angelo Clematide (49)
Chief Executive Producer
Master McHaze Hill Entertainment
Unlimited Media
http://www.mediasearchnet.com/

I certainly can’t ignore the poor results from others in this thread. But I am down to the last two discs in the spindle of 25 and have yet to burn a coaster.

I’m using a LiteOn 401S@411S, now with firmware FSOG. The Kprobe scans aren’t as good as the Verbatims I use for important stuff.

But I can burn these at 4X and get playable results, or at 2X and the scans are acceptable. They play in my Toshiba and Magnavox players, and I’ve tested them on the machines of several friends without a hitch.

These are AN32 4X -R mirror tops ordered in the U.S. from www.yesbuy.net, a spindle of 25 for $14 with free shipping. At that price, I’m getting ready to order more for casual use.

I have burned about 2000 SKY 4x’x in my Pioneer 105 and they worked fine. I have had one bad burn where it said the disk was un-readable but that is it. My Pioneer 105 died since. I bought a Pioneer 107 8x burner and the SKY’s are a nightmare. It will say to insert a blank DVD-r and when I do it kicks it out and says ERROR (9) BAD MEDIUM. But if I go through the pile and keep putting DVD-r’s in it will find one it likes and it burns. It is weird the way different drives and media work. I have a freind that bought a Pioneer 105 the same day I bought mine and mine burned SKY’s great, his would not attempt to burn, they would stop at 99% on most all discs and won’t finalize.

Coroner