Sky+ box

over the past few days message on screen displayed change card i need the card in the box to get recorder working i dont subscribe any more

[QUOTE=wormhole;2416320]over the past few days message on screen displayed change card i need the card in the box to get recorder working i dont subscribe any more[/QUOTE]

You NEED to contact sky then.

All was fine until SKY bought out new card will free to view card activate record function on sky +

Welcome aboard :slight_smile:

At last as far as I’m aware of, while Sky now offers its Sky+ service free for subscribers, they charge a monthly subscription to use the recording capabilities if you do not subscribe to any of their packages. This applies to their receivers in the UK and Ireland.

Unfortunately, they don’t consider the Free-to-view card as a subscription, so while the FTV card may unlock a few channels such as Sky Three, Five US, etc. the recording functionality will not work without a subscription.

Thanks SEAN i am stuck so. my friends sky+ box keeps going back to default settings e.g. 4/3 pal he has to change settings back to 16/9 rgb a few times a day his sky+ box gets very hot any ideas

For your setup, if you visit Northern Ireland at all (e.g. weekend shopping), I would suggest purchasing a Freesat PVR and replace your Sky box with it. Unfortunately, they are quite expensive (£200+), but you’ll have the advantage of not needing to pay a subscription just to record free to air content, so it’ll pay for itself after a year. The only drawback is that you’ll not get the additional Free-to-view locked content (Sky Three, Fiver & Five US) that the FTV card gets in. On the other hand, unlike the Sky+ box, you’ll not need to wade over all the pay TV channels when browsing the TV guide.

Another option if you have a HD Ready TV: if you get a Freesat HD PVR (~£250), you will get the free to air channels BBC HD, ITV HD and Luxe HD. Personally, I like BBC HD for its live music and documentaries.

For your friend, if you haven’t already done so, try moving the box to an open area as a test. If the box runs cooler and stops returning to its defaults, then the area it’s currently in is not providing enough ventilation. Sky+ boxes do tend to run warmer due to its hard disk and additional tuner.

Will try thanks