Skipping Problem (when reading)

[qanda]This thread is about the Freecom DVD RW Recorder USB-2. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’ve been having problems with DVD’s skipping towards the middle and end of discs. It used to be pretty much perfect, but it has been getting worse lately.

I’ve noticed after ripping the DVD with DVDFAB that it does this skipping problem in the preview window, so perhaps it’s not something to do with the writing process.

What can I do about this? It doesn’t give many options for reading on DVDFAB. My burner is about 3 years old now and the laptop I’m using is probably 3/4 years too. Would this be a problem perhaps? It’s not the best laptop in the world, it can be a bit slow sometimes but I only ever use it to burn these days.

[quote=ryankent1984;2228731][qanda]This thread is about the Freecom DVD RW Recorder USB-2. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’ve been having problems with DVD’s skipping towards the middle and end of discs. It used to be pretty much perfect, but it has been getting worse lately.

I’ve noticed after ripping the DVD with DVDFAB that it does this skipping problem in the preview window, so perhaps it’s not something to do with the writing process.

What can I do about this? It doesn’t give many options for reading on DVDFAB. My burner is about 3 years old now and the laptop I’m using is probably 3/4 years too. Would this be a problem perhaps? It’s not the best laptop in the world, it can be a bit slow sometimes but I only ever use it to burn these days.[/quote]
When was the last time you did a defragmenation of the hard drive ?, also how much free space in on the systemand how many programs are running in the background ?.
It sounds like the system is struggling to process data, is the your drive in DMA mode ?, one more thing have you checked task manager to see what all is running ?

Thanks for the reply.

I hadn’t thought about de-fragmenting for a while. So I did it several times the other day just to make sure. But the DVD I backed-up was yesterday.

I close all programs when backing up and I have about 10gig available on the drive. I also try and close down any unnecessary processes.

I’m not sure what you mean by DMA mode, I’m not too clued-up on this kind of stuff.

Am I choosing the right options when backing up? I tend to burn the full-disc or movie-only into a folder on the desktop, then choose ‘Write Data’ of the video folder I had wrote it to. Should I be doing this or is it any different to be burning from DVD to DVD-R directly? Also should I be choosing a specific I/O Mode option when reading - there is a choice of Auto, ASPI and SPTI. I tend to leave it on auto.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

There’s a link in both mine and StormJumper’s signatures, which tells you how to check and enable DMA for whatever OS you’re using.

As for where to copy, it’s really personal preference - I tend to back up to -/+R rather than to a folder when I use Fab, but ISO works nicely as well. I’ve also never changed the I/O modes from the default. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2228947]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

There’s a link in both mine and StormJumper’s signatures, which tells you how to check and enable DMA for whatever OS you’re using.

As for where to copy, it’s really personal preference - I tend to back up to -/+R rather than to a folder when I use Fab, but ISO works nicely as well. I’ve also never changed the I/O modes from the default. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies so far. You’ve been helpful.

It’s so frustrating watching a disc that seems perfect then you get it messing up towards the end. Even if it only happens once or twice for a second, it’s still distracting.

I’ll check the DMA thing later on.

I hope it’s nothing to do with the laptop or burner, I really couldn’t afford to invest in a new one right now being at uni still.

OK, so I went through checking the DMA and this is what it says:

Primary IDE Channel - set to ‘DMA if available’ and the current transfer mode is ‘Ultra DMA Mode 5’

Secondary IDE Channel - set to ‘DMA if available’ and the current transfer mode is ‘PIO Mode’, though I don’t think I can change this.

Right-click your secondary IDE channel in Device Manager, and click “Uninstall”.

Reboot, and Windows should re-detect the IDE channel, and if all goes as it’s supposed to, it should no longer be in PIO Mode, but Ultra DMA Mode x (where x = a number, most likely 2).

PIO Mode = bad, bad, bad. :wink:

You won’t need to replace your lappy :disagree:

Cheers for that, I’ll give it a go.

I also have a Macbook, which is considerably more powerful, but I’ve been looking through this forum and online and there doesn’t seem to be any decent software available for it is there? Like DVDFAB, DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter.

Being a PC user, I don’t know what’s available for the Mac, sorry :frowning:

Ah, no problem.

What you told me about the secondary channel worked. It changed to DMA. Hopefully it will help with the problem I have now. Thanks.

If not, then I wonder what else it could possibly be. Perhaps the burner is getting old?

You’re welcome, I too hope that’s all the problem is :slight_smile:

Other than that, there’s a small outside chance that the drive you’re using to rip your movies might be having a problem reading, yes. But I’d say it’s the PIO/DMA thing more than likely. :slight_smile:

[quote=Arachne;2229099]You’re welcome, I too hope that’s all the problem is :slight_smile:

Other than that, there’s a small outside chance that the drive you’re using to rip your movies might be having a problem reading, yes. But I’d say it’s the PIO/DMA thing more than likely. :)[/quote]
:iagree: :flower: :wink: :bigsmile: