SKC vs ProDisc vs Ritek?

Hi! Just after as many possible opinions on these 3x cds.

SKC --> SKC (white with large SKC etc)
Dysan --> Prodisc (silver with semi circle lines for writing on. Dysan)
TDK --> Ritek (plain white - very tiny TDK near “hole”)

Also, Verbatim are availabe. Iv heard good/bad things about the Prodisc/Ritek at Hyudrogenaudio. SKC always seem to be middle of the pack?

Thanks

Prodisc and Ritek CDRs have always been OK for me, under reputable brands of course. I have plenty of both, and they serve well.

SKC, I don’t have much experience with.

Regarding Verbatim CDRs, these days they’re usually made by one of three companies, as Verbatim outsource their CDR manufacturing: these companies are Prodisc, CMC and Moser Baer India. Again, all have been good for me so far.

[quote=Arachne;1924555]Prodisc and Ritek CDRs have always been OK for me, under reputable brands of course. I have plenty of both, and they serve well.

SKC, I don’t have much experience with.

Regarding Verbatim CDRs, these days they’re usually made by one of three companies, as Verbatim outsource their CDR manufacturing: these companies are Prodisc, CMC and Moser Baer India. Again, all have been good for me so far.[/quote]

Here in NZ, theres not many Dysan discs around. “Sounds” a music store has them for a v.cheap price compared to every other DECENT cd. Are Dysan ok? Iv scanned 10 or so Imation CMC Magnetics, everyone had c2 errors, none of the earlier mentioned ones do, apart from …1 or 2/10 Ritek.

Of the three (not counting the Verbs), I’d pick the TDK/Ritek ones.

I’m not sure about Dysan, or the quality of the discs they use, unfortunately. Maybe others will have an opinion there. :slight_smile:

So 1-0 to TDK --> Ritek! I shall await others feedbacks on the Dysans :slight_smile: … oh here is the link of them … http://www.c1com.co.nz/shop/step1.php?number=2319 if ya click on the picture you can see what the disc looks like. I got mine on the Spiral ring tho (25 discs + 2 free from memory).

[quote=Arachne;1924575]Of the three (not counting the Verbs), I’d pick the TDK/Ritek ones.

I’m not sure about Dysan, or the quality of the discs they use, unfortunately. Maybe others will have an opinion there. :)[/quote]

Arachne, im sure you know far more about these Nero Scans then me. I made 2 identical CDs with iTunes on 8x speed to compare. One with the Dysan Prodisc, One with the TDK Ritek. Iv scanned each disc at 8x speed and 32x speed on Nero CD-DVD Speed. I used the 2 speeds as im not sure whats the best for my drive.

So me these two discs seem very even maybe TDK better? I think the 8x speed ones are a lot more accurate tho? Both have no C2 errors and low average/max C1 errors?

I’m honestly not sure how reliable your drive is at scanning (as mentioned in another thread), so I wouldn’t put too much into those.

I too would say the 8x scans look OK, though.

[QUOTE=JonnoNZ;1924609]
So me these two discs seem very even maybe TDK better? I think the 8x speed ones are a lot more accurate tho? Both have no C2 errors and low average/max C1 errors?[/QUOTE]

They both seem pretty good. I would probably go with the TDK/Ritek
because I have had good results with Ritek CD-R in the past. Some
of my 6 year old Ritek CD-R are still as good as new.

Just went out to mall and saw some “Mitsubishi Golden PC Disc”. 700mb, 52x speed. It says Mitsubishi Kagaku Media on the packet, and the discs are bright gold with a “moon” drawing on them. On the disc it says Golden PC disc. I put a blank one on Nero and these are Prodisc to hmmm…

Edit… here is their link http://mitsubishichemical.com.au/cd-azo.cfm?pID=GD80CB25PCN

If you click on the picture it gives ya close up of disc. These probably same as Dysans that are prodisc to?

[QUOTE=JonnoNZ;1924672]Just went out to mall and saw some “Mitsubishi Golden PC Disc”. 700mb, 52x speed. It says Mitsubishi Kagaku Media on the packet, and the discs are bright gold with a “moon” drawing on them. On the disc it says Golden PC disc. I put a blank one on Nero and these are Prodisc to hmmm…

Edit… here is their link http://mitsubishichemical.com.au/cd-azo.cfm?pID=GD80CB25PCN

If you click on the picture it gives ya close up of disc. These probably same as Dysans that are prodisc to?[/QUOTE]

Could be the same thing if they’re both Prodisc.

I have only used a few prodiscs but one thing I have noticed is they work on my fussy PS2 whereas some of my CMC and Ritek don’t.

If you really want the best of the best, Taiyo Yuden are it for CD-R. However I’m sure Prodisc, when burnt properly are quite capable CD-Rs. I always stick to 16x for Audio as it produces lowest jitter in most drives.

The Mitsubishi’s are A-grade Prodisc.
For Dysan it will be a suprise what quality disc you will be getting.

While TDK ritek has it’s variations the variations of Dysan media are even higher.

I probably would choose to go with TDK riteks unless you could get some TY’s.

Unfortunitly TY is completely unavailable in NZ and its just too much of a hassle to import things with the cost etc :frowning: I havent seen any of the real top brands here either like the Mits manufactured ones.

The TDK Ritek seem to work good but the odd one has shown c2 errors and not worked on my Naim cd player, which is really fussy with CDs. Any cheap manufactered disc simply isnt worth the hassle.

I beleive you that the Mitsubishi’s are A-grade Prodisc, opposed to the Dysan ones. The Dysans actually showed less c1 errors though then the Mits, but on some selected tracks I cud pick the Mits cd from the Dysan by how it sounded.

These werent the BEST Mitsubishi cds though, the more exp ones (didnt see em 4 sale though) had the Azo dye or wat ever it is …

Think I mite go for the Mits ones @ $17 for 25 and cheaper bulk. Thanks all for help.

I’ve found that Ritek CD-Rs work well at a variety of speeds (from medium to extreme - 32x-52x) whereas Prodisc CD-Rs don’t do so well at high speeds (>40X). Overall, Ritek CD-Rs have given me much less grief over the years than Prodisc CD-Rs, although I do remember using two excellent batches of Prodisc CD-Rs - 12X silver/phthalocyanine and 8X gold/phthalocyanine.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

[quote=terminalvelocd;1925501]I’ve found that Ritek CD-Rs work well at a variety of speeds (from medium to extreme - 32x-52x) whereas Prodisc CD-Rs don’t do so well at high speeds (>40X). Overall, Ritek CD-Rs have given me much less grief over the years than Prodisc CD-Rs, although I do remember using two excellent batches of Prodisc CD-Rs - 12X silver/phthalocyanine and 8X gold/phthalocyanine.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD[/quote]

Ritek seem to have improved over the years? I read a review at “Cd Media World” that bagged them a bit. I normally burn at 8x or 16x anyway so shouldnt matter as much if the Prodiscs arent as good higher speeds, hopefully.

Outa interest… I saw some Mitsubushi CD-R’s that are the same in appearance to small records. Iv heard them mentioned somewhere on this forum before. The ones I saw were only in a 5 or 6 pack. What brand manufacturer do they use outa interest?

Ritek CD-Rs have been almost perfect since they launched their “Type 1” cyanine CD-Rs.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD