Size of disc and other questions

I went to copy a scratched disc the other day of Grand theft auto for my 8 year olds Playstation2. Currently it hangs up do to the scratch.
I guess I didnt realize or consider the size of the original disc. I went to copy it to a CD and of course received an error message about the size limit of the CD and then realized the PS2 game disc is more like 3 gig or more.
My DVD burner is a very new Lite-On model but it doesnt do double sided or anything like that. Will the original disc content fit on a regular writable DVD?
Also, years ago I used the Alcohol to copy some PC games but have never used it for anything else.
It seems from reading some that it will be requred for what I’m doing now in trying to copy my sons disc.
I also wondered if the mfg of the disc would furnish us a new disc if we can give them the original and a fee for a new one?
If I am ever successful in copying the PS2 disc, are there any problems with playing this disc?
Thanks guys,
mike

First off, your PS2 has to be modded in order to play a copied disc. If you haven’t had this done with either a mod-chip or swap magic discs, you can stop right there and look for a used copy at your local video game outlet.
However, if your system is modded to play copies you can make a copy by burning the image to a blank dvd-r or +r (not a cd-r) but Alcohol 120% is not a failsafe way to do so. as per forum rules, I’m not sure if I can go into detail about backing up copywritten material but I’m sure your favorite search engine can point you in the right direction.

Thanks dude, well no my PS2 has not been moded but I may want to do this as I would like to have backups for all our games. My 8 year old had a bad habit of scratching his games up. So how does a person go about this mod?
Also, I thought it was perfectly legal to make backups of your own games for personal use??
mike
ps by the way, does anyone know of a way to repair or in some way deal with a scratched DVD??

[quote=B2D327;1959621]First off, your PS2 has to be modded in order to play a copied disc. If you haven’t had this done with either a mod-chip or swap magic discs, you can stop right there and look for a used copy at your local video game outlet.
However, if your system is modded to play copies you can make a copy by burning the image to a blank dvd-r or +r (not a cd-r) but Alcohol 120% is not a failsafe way to do so. as per forum rules, I’m not sure if I can go into detail about backing up copywritten material but I’m sure your favorite search engine can point you in the right direction.[/quote]

Backups of media you own should be fine under fair use rights. PS2 mods—don’t know, never owned one.

How bad is the scratch on the dvd? If it is a minor one, you can sometimes spray a little Pledge wax on it, buff it gently out to in (not round and round) and get it to read.

Deeper scratches require polishing, and it is easy to mess things up. I use an extremely fine abrasive in an automotive glaze called Meguiar’s Show Car Glaze #7. It is intended for clear coat auto finishes, but will work on dvds too. Just don’t rub round and round the disk.

There are also some dvd repair services available. Sometimes the local rental shops have disk repair machines, and will polish your disk for a small fee. And there are some online shops beginning to appear. This is one: http://www.azuradisc.com/ Haven’t used them myself, just found them on a Google search.

Thanks dude, thats fantastick information. I thought once they were scratched, you were hosed. Great to see there are options.
I guess now I need to look into this mod for the PS2, seems like I’m just not inside the loop and there must be a way this is being done on a large schale basis, just need to find out how and where.
Merry Christmas and thanks, mike

[quote=Kerry56;1960192]Backups of media you own should be fine under fair use rights. PS2 mods—don’t know, never owned one.

How bad is the scratch on the dvd? If it is a minor one, you can sometimes spray a little Pledge wax on it, buff it gently out to in (not round and round) and get it to read.

Deeper scratches require polishing, and it is easy to mess things up. I use an extremely fine abrasive in an automotive glaze called Meguiar’s Show Car Glaze #7. It is intended for clear coat auto finishes, but will work on dvds too. Just don’t rub round and round the disk.

There are also some dvd repair services available. Sometimes the local rental shops have disk repair machines, and will polish your disk for a small fee. And there are some online shops beginning to appear. This is one: http://www.azuradisc.com/ Haven’t used them myself, just found them on a Google search.[/quote]