Size estimate for .avi to dvd

vbimport

K I was already told I could use the runtime to estimate size for avi to dvd conversion, and that has worked fine … now I have run into some .avi’s that have no runtime … now how do I work out the size to fit a DVD using COnvertx to DVD ?

Get a tool called MediaInfo. Open your avi with it and it should tell you the duration/run time of the video.
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

First thing I would try anyway.

Haven’t seen that one yet, Kerry; thanks :wink:

[B]@~Soul~:[/B] another useful tool to have in your basket is our old freeware friend [U]Gspot[/U], which amongst a load of other info about your files; gives you the running time (right-hand side panel, about half-way down; labelled “[I]Len[/I]”).

@ Kerry56…I guess there’s no way for Media info to give a batch reading though eh? I looked at settings and preferences and tried the Ctrl and shft click tricks and nuthing … any suggestions there?

@ imkidd57… Does it have a batch reader so I can select several files and see the total time? If so that would be swell :slight_smile:

I went to sheet view in media info and added up several in my head real fast and when I went to convert in Convertx it said the project was 4.3 GB so good guess … I guess LOL

Erm… don’t think so but you just drag & drop your files on the window - one by one - and add them up yourself. :wink:

Edit: I thought you sounded like an intelligent lad :flower:

Now what would happen if I did go over the ~ 4.7 GB size on a S/L disk in Convertx ? WIll it warn me or compress it to fit :eek:

Not sure, ~Soul~… unfortunately I don’t have any experience with ConvertX.

[QUOTE=~Soul~;2075480]Now what would happen if I did go over the ~ 4.7 GB size on a S/L disk in Convertx ? WIll it warn me or compress it to fit :eek:[/QUOTE]
Give it a go, and tell us all what happens. :slight_smile:

About 3/4 of the way through converting , it logged a warning that the estimated size was incorrect and the new size was much lager than anticipated… then at the end of the conversion it failed. :eek:
Would be nice if it told ya up front :rolleyes:

[quote=~Soul~;2075480]Now what would happen if I did go over the ~ 4.7 GB size on a S/L disk in Convertx ? WIll it warn me or compress it to fit :eek:[/quote] ConvertXtoDVD3 will compress and burn the .avi to a complaint DVD perfectly. For the record, I have never found a .avi that was 4.38gbs, so I think you are good to go anyway. I am not saying they dont exist but most are about 700mbs. After convertion it depends on the runtime but it almost always fits on a DVD-5 disc. Maybe you should use a D/L disc if your file is too large.

@ alan1476… This is a multi-file conversion not a single .avi file.

I checked the log agin and there was some kind of other failure as well…

Here’s the 1st warning;
11/06/2008 11:09:16 AM warning Stream #1 (audio): Cannot get # of channels, assuming 2

2nd warning;
11/06/2008 11:34:03 AM warning Estimated Duration of the video was inaccurate. Output size may greatly differ from target size.
11/06/2008 11:34:03 AM info Generated duration 5.72 sec., expected 219.85 sec.

and at the end;

Conversion failed after 00:57:46
11/06/2008 12:07:03 PM error The input file contains no image and no sound. Maybe the file is corrupted or unsupported.
11/06/2008 12:07:03 PM warning Stream #1 has produced NO data (empty). Result may miss some stream(s).
11/06/2008 12:07:03 PM warning Stream #0 has produced NO data (empty). Result may miss some stream(s).

[quote=~Soul~;2075537]I checked the log agin and there was some kind of other failure as well…

Here’s the 1st warning;

11/06/2008 11:34:03 AM warning Estimated Duration of the video was inaccurate. Output size may greatly differ from target size.
11/06/2008 11:34:03 AM info Generated duration 5.72 sec., expected 219.85 sec.

and at the end;

Conversion failed after 00:57:46
11/06/2008 12:07:03 PM error The input file contains no image and no sound. Maybe the file is corrupted or unsupported.
11/06/2008 12:07:03 PM warning Stream #1 has produced NO data (empty). Result may miss some stream(s).
11/06/2008 12:07:03 PM warning Stream #0 has produced NO data (empty). Result may miss some stream(s).[/quote]
It seem as if your .avi is corrupted. Are you using Fat32 or NTFS. Under Fat32 the max file size is 2 gbs.

Here is a look at the compression settings in ConvertXtoDVD

Mine is NTFS and I checked the files it had warnings with as I have them as .avi’s on disk (4b/u) and they playback fine as an .avi file on my DVD player?

My version is 2.2 but is about the same layout … it says the compression is set to DVD-5 4400

Then you should have no problem with ConvertXtoDVD3. It will compress your files to fit on a dvd-5 disc with no problem, you can even Make chapters and menus. Either the files are corrupted or the disc is not right. Maybe a scratch or some other imperfection to cause your errors.