Size after Ripping Audio

vbimport

Hello,

I am new to CloneDVD and I am attempting to copy one version of a movie from my original DVD to a DVDR. The original DVD has the released version of the movie and an “uncut” version. The total size of the VOB file that has both versions inside is 5.57 gig. If I select just the movie I want to rip out of the VOB CloneDVD lists it as 96% on the quality meter. I don’t think it makes any adjustment for my removal of two alternate languages and two alternate subtitles in the next CloneDVD screen after clicking next. My CloneDVD output directory includes the proper video and audio/subtitles that I selected, but the size of the VOB files is 3.99 gig in the directory. Should I infer that everything was just ripped and nothing was downsampled? Or did CloneDVD downsample the video based on the original quality estimate of 96% before the above mentioned audio tracks were removed?

The reason I ask this question is that I seem to be able to duplicate the above mentioned process of ripping the one video track with the selected audio tracks by using DVD Decrypt in IFO mode. When I select the same video and audio/subtitle tracks I get VOB files that total in size of 4.19 gig in the output directory.

Is there anyway to operate CloneDVD as a ripper without it compressing any of the video? Even if this means the output would exceed the size of a DVDR? I really like its ability to keep the menus.

Thank you.

I cannot give you a definite answer because I don’t know. Just doing the math on your two figures of 3.99 and 4.19 it is roughly 96% of the larger number. So maybe clonedvd is compressing your video even though the raw size is under 4.3 gig. I’m assuming that you yanked the same video/audio with DVD Decrypter that you did with clonedvd as you say.

> My CloneDVD output directory includes the proper video and audio/subtitles that I selected, but the size of the VOB files is 3.99 gig in the directory. Should I infer that everything was just ripped and nothing was downsampled? <

Correct. No transcoding was done. Video & your Audio streams only add to 3.99 gig. CloneDVD doesn’t make it bigger.

> Or did CloneDVD downsample the video based on the original quality estimate of 96% before the above mentioned audio tracks were removed? <

Of course not - that would be very stupid.

The Quality bar shows the quality if all audio and subtitle streams would be selected.

If you deselect an Audio stream, video size & quality will be increased. Only the meter doesn’t show this. (CloneDVD2 will have a second meter on the Audio / Subtitle selection page).

Originally posted by Olli
[B]Correct. No transcoding was done. Video & your Audio streams only add to 3.99 gig. CloneDVD doesn’t make it bigger.

> Or did CloneDVD downsample the video based on the original quality estimate of 96% before the above mentioned audio tracks were removed? <

Of course not - that would be very stupid.

The Quality bar shows the quality if all audio and subtitle streams would be selected.

If you deselect an Audio stream, video size & quality will be increased. Only the meter doesn’t show this. (CloneDVD2 will have a second meter on the Audio / Subtitle selection page). [/B]

Thank you for your response. I wasn’t sure when CloneDVD, internally, made the final determination of how much, if any, to compress video, at the initial video selection screen or after the audio options were selected. The only reason I brought this up was after I tried to rip the same video and audio tracks with DVD Decrypter and ended up with a larger VOB. The CloneDVD VOB is 96% the size of the DVD Decryptor VOB as jskier pointed out. I didn’t even notice that before he brought it up.

You have a great product. Very easy to use.

I retried the above procedure using the latest CloneDVD2 preview release and the resulting file was 4.35 gig. The log screen said the transcoder was disabled because of sufficient free space. When I use the latest official release (pre-preview), the resulting file is the above mentioned size of 4 gig or so. So I think the official release is indeed either transcoding the files based upon original quality estimate before the extra audio tracks are deselected or the CloneDVD2 Preview version is adding about 350 MB of material.

Just FYI if this helps for development purposes.