Sis 180 DVD burning DMA problem

vbimport

Hi all :slight_smile:

I have recently purchaced a SATA DVD-R drive, its Pionner DVR 215D.

I have trouble burning DVD discs with it to more than x2.

I think the fault is with the onboard SATA of my motherboard, this Pioneer is too new for it.

My motherboard is kind of old, 3 years old in about, its the Gigabyte 8S648FX.

I had the same problem with a Promise Ultra 133 TX2 and IDE DVD-R at the past, but it was just because that Promise does DMA just for Hard drives.

If anyone is familiar with this, the DVD-R is appearing at device manager as : SCSI CDrom Device.

The excact same was with the Promise Ultra 133 TX2.

SCSI CDrom Device was appearing after the device’s name on the DVD/CD-ROM at device manager. And yes it coulnd’t do DMA.

So, is it the sis 180 capabilities limited for DVD-R DMA, or is this possible?

Please help.

Thank you.

Hi and Welcome![quote=blitter22;2111278]

I think the fault is with the onboard SATA of my motherboard, this Pioneer is too new for it. [/quote]or the Sata controller does not support optical drives, or there is some misconfiguration. If possible, set the Sata controller to “IDE” mode and see if you can operate this controller with Windows default drivers.

If anyone is familiar with this, the DVD-R is appearing at device manager as : SCSI CDrom Device.
Nothing wrong here, absolutely normal for a drive that is connected to a controller that is operated by manufacturer drivers.

Please help.
If nothing works, buy a PCI Sata controller card with Silicon Image 3x12 or 3x14 chipset, preferably the non-Raid version. Raid cards need the non-Raid Bios applied, which is no problem at all, normally.

Michael

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=570586&st=0&p=3799247&#entry3799247

Maybe the via chipset is a better option, if flashing is as well concidered?

Most people on this forum have had good to excellent luck with Silicon Image controllers for normal computer optical drives, with no known flashing issues. This is why we recommend them.

As far as I know, there are also a few that have had luck with the NEWER Via SATA controllers. Some of these people seemed to be more focused on Xbox drive flashing, and not normal computer optical drive flashing/use. With that said, there are not that many people that use them & report back to say whether they’ve had success or failure, so getting one & trying it would be a bit of an experiment.

What about SATA II PCI cards?

Does any of those come with Silicon Image 3x12 or 3x14 chipset, or do I have to stick with SATA I PCI for the specific chipsets?

[QUOTE=blitter22;2111278]Hi all :slight_smile:

I think the fault is with the onboard SATA of my motherboard, this Pioneer is too new for it.

My motherboard is kind of old, 3 years old in about, its the Gigabyte 8S648FX.

I had the same problem with a [B][B]Promise Ultra 133 TX2[/B][/B] and IDE DVD-R at the past, but it was just because that Promise does DMA just for Hard drives.

The excact same was with the Promise Ultra 133 TX2.

SCSI CDrom Device was appearing after the device’s name on the DVD/CD-ROM at device manager. And yes it coulnd’t do DMA.

So, is it the sis 180 capabilities limited for DVD-R DMA, or is this possible?

Please help.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Promise controllers are a NO GO with optical drives (few exceptions, but only with CD).

[QUOTE=blitter22;2111443]What about SATA II PCI cards?

Does any of those come with Silicon Image 3x12 or 3x14 chipset, or do I have to stick with SATA I PCI for the specific chipsets?[/QUOTE]
List of SiI SATA chips: http://www.siliconimage.com/products/productfamily.aspx?id=3#24

But you won’t gain anything from getting an SATA II card for optical drives.

Another option would be to get PATA burner since they are so inexpensive and may cost little more that SATA PCI adapter, or exchange it for PATA burner if within exchange period for the seller.

[quote=blitter22;2111306]http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=570586&st=0&p=3799247&#entry3799247

Maybe the via chipset is a better option, if flashing is as well concidered?[/quote]Via Sata controller are not recommended to operate optical drives. They might work with certain drives (see that xbox topic you are referring to, but normally there are more issues than benefit.
For DVD burners, get a Silicon Image based controller.

[quote=chef;2111483]Promise controllers are a NO GO with optical drives (few exceptions, but only with CD).[/quote]I beg to differ :slight_smile: There are even some Promise controllers, that do fine with DVD burners :smiley:

Michael

Hi all.

I just bought a SATA PCI card as advised with 3x12 chipset.

It is a 2 port one.

And yes it does fast DVD burning with DMA use, as everyone told.

But during the DVD burning proccess all my CPU is beeing used.

When I was using IDE DVD-R, was DMA (fast burning) and 30% CPU load.

Any way for this with less CPU load.