Single vob file too large to burn

vbimport

Used Daniusoft to convert a 1955 MB m4v file into a single large vob file (output file is 4854 MB!). Nero says this is too big to burn. Tried DVD Shrink but won’t work (says video_ts.ifo is missing). Tried Ifoedit to try to generate an ifo file, but it says “could not find any VOB unit in vob files”.

All I have is the one single vob file, nothing else. Both it and the original m4v file will play fine using my Zune Player software on my PC, but I cannot get it to burn the vob file to my DVD-R. Zune software will Play the vob file, but it will not add it to my collection so I can try burning with the Zune software (it DID add the m4v file, but not the vob file).

Please help. How can I get this large file to burn to my DVD so I can play it on my DVD player?

DVD video is broken up into 1gb sized vob files. This is part of the standard for this type of video, and stand alone dvd players will not play .vob files outside of this specification.

If the Daniusoft program has done a good job of encoding the file (big assumption), you should be able to import it into DVDStyler and author to a dvd video. Had to edit this section, because I had forgotten that DVDStyler will accept large .vob files. DVDStyler is free to use: http://www.dvdstyler.de/ If the resulting dvd is too large to fit your target disk, you can always reduce it with Shrink, but DVDStyler should be able to encode it to fit your blank dvd.

You might be better off starting over and using a different program. See if the original .m4v file is recognized by AVStoDVD. If so, it can encode and produce a finished dvd ready to burn. AVStoDVD is free to use, and since it can make use of a very high quality mpeg2 encoder called HCenc, results are excellent: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD

Thanks. I will try this suggestion this weekend and let you know how it went.

IT WORKED! Started fresh with AVstoDVD and had no problem at all (outside of the fact that the first time I tried to burn I did not realize that AVstoDVD was defaulted to PAL format and not NTSC so I wasted the first disc and about 4 hours but what the hey). Once I changed the default to NTSC it went without a hitch! Now the only thing I am annoyed about is the $$ I wasted on Daniusoft and Nero. Wish I had found this forum first, but…I’ll deal.
Thank you so much

[QUOTE=leday;2495614] Now the only thing I am annoyed about is the $$ I wasted on Daniusoft and Nero. [/QUOTE]

If you recently purchased these you might be able to return them.

Glad AVstoDVD worked for you.
Did you end up with a menu on your DVD ?

Thanks. I’ll look into it.

Another question…when I used AStoDVD to convert the m4v file to DVD it worked perfectly (It used HCenc for the video encoding). I just tried to use it to convert an avi file to DVD (the program selected QuEnc for the video conversion this time) and the final product had the audio slightly out of sync. What happened here? Can this be fixed?

You can set the specific encoder by clicking the little reel icon beneath the green + sign. If you want HC, that is where to do it. Or you can set it in the permanent preferences. HC only does video conversion though. It isn’t used at all on the audio.

For audio, look under Preferences and select the Encoding tab. The AC3 audio encoder that I have had best luck with is Ffmpeg + Aften.

To correct the audio/video sync on the finished dvd is a bit difficult, but can be done with the correct tools. Unfortunately, the best/easiest to use are not free. I have a program called VideoReDo TV Suite. It can correct audio/video sync problems in your dvd using the QuickStream Fix tool. There is a free, fully functional trial for VideoReDo TV Suite available for download.

I’ve only used the Quickstream Fix on mpeg2 files. You can reauthor with VideoReDo TV Suite back to dvd-video however.