Single spike causes over 50 PIFs normal?

vbimport

:bow:
Please could someone help me here with the CD-DVD Speed test intepretation?
Almost all my MCC004 disc show similar pattern where a spike would most likely occur at around 200mb resulting in over 50PIFs.
Is this normal?
I have tried other discs like the Yuden T03 none of them had such problems.
Is my media bad or my drive is giving trouble?

The scan is fine.
Stop worrying.

Any PIF spikes under 16 are fine. Anything above 16 MAY be a problem, but doubtful :stuck_out_tongue:
And in truth, the limit is really about 32 before you can guarantee any problems.

I suspect way too many users are making mountains out of molehills with their PI/PIF scans. Don’t join the mob.

You mean something like this ? :wink:

Except where RiTEK is concerned. :wink:

:disagree: - I get the joke, but I’m following the train of thoughts nevertheless. :wink:

Actually, I’d rather say that Ritek -R original scan results kinda proves that scanning (I mean 1 scan just after the burn) is very unsufficient to get a grasp on media quality as a whole. It’s only one of the guidelines.

Comparing two scans performed at different times (after six months or so) - in the same drive of course -, THIS is something more interesting.

Yes :wink: Definately.

Scans are not the penultimate guide to quality discs, something which despite repetition, doesn’t seem to get across to noobs :stuck_out_tongue:

And for some reason the whole “Total” thing is getting plain silly.

The problem is … noobs are getting mixed up in experts’ discussions defining “Excellent burns” vs “Fantastic burns” … the deciding factor being the total PIF counts, since all the highest PIF’s is already only 1.

I have a “BENQ” 8x DVD-R disc (SONY08D1) here that scanned beautifully … and I’m wondering how to artificially “Age” the disc so I can get a good indication of when it’s gonna decay …
Traditionally I’ve been very disappointed by sony media :stuck_out_tongue:

/me decides to make a “Disc cradle” that mounts next to the output of the mega CPU heatsink on his x2 …
Flowing air … heat … not so much light shrugs.

Well, if scans are no judge, which I agree with because even Princrap can show up good initially, how do we judge what a good disc is?

For example, debro buys the Iomegas, they go great, but in six months degrade to crap… I guess there really is no way of knowing… thought those 1-2 year old scans of TY’s and Verbatims are very nice.

AAaaaah, this would be the origin of this widely spread misconception about PIF totals, then… thanks for the head up. :slight_smile:

/me decides to make a “Disc cradle” that mounts next to the output of the mega CPU heatsink on his x2 …
[B]Flowing air … heat … not so much light shrugs[/B].
In my humble opinion, not enough humidity either. I guess air can be very dry in this area. :wink: - funny project… :bigsmile: lol

Water cooling then? :slight_smile:

Not really any way to confirm this. Generally you can tell a cheap disc by the scans though. High PI exceeding 100ish (and obviously high PIF >4 (1ECC) or PIF >32 (8ECC) ) are an indicator whether the disc is any good.

Apart from that, previous experience. On this whole forum is more experience than you can imagine.
Us aussies were pissing on Ritek media well before the US & Europe copped the crappy ones. And that goes back 8 years :wink:

With regards to the humidity, if your location is relatively dry, there would be little need to stress test for long term resistance to humidity for discs [B]you[/B] would be using.

I remember an old thread by a user (somewhere in Europe I think) who used a steamer to stress MCC discs. :stuck_out_tongue:

Er… where do you read the 1ECC vs the 8ECC bit?

Wow, your scans are [B]excellent!![/B] imo, you have a single spike of 6 PIF, low peaks/totals, steady Jitter, no PIF clumps or even rising PIE near the end. That is a perfect disc for archival purposes. :cool:

The MBI MCC004 I am using don’t burn nearly aswell as that with regards to the PIF but I still consider them to be the best I have used recently and perfectly suitable for archival usage.

Your Liteon Drive, and rebadged liteys (Sony comes to mind), are 1ECC drives.
Your Benq drive, and NEC drives are 8ECC drives.

What about Pioneer?

Your disc shows a PIF spike containing 50 PIF with a maximum of 4 PIF per 8 ECC blocks. Please note that each horizontal pixel in the scan corresponds to approx. 350 ECC blocks, and that is why you can have 50 PIF packed into that single vertical line.

50 PIF is a drop in the ocean and you shouldn’t worry about it.

Your scan is in fact absolutely excellent! :slight_smile:

[Off-topic]

NEC drives are whatever the scanning program wants them to be.
By default they are 8 ECC scanners when using CDSpeed, but this can be changed by a simple registry modification.

My NEC 4551 is set up as a 1 ECC scanner.

As far as I can tell they are 8 ECC scanners, but I’m not an expert on Pioneer drives.
[/Off-topic]

8ECC.

Hi :slight_smile:
For those who seeing is believing.

Ya I’m a noob.

Thanks DrageMester for your informative explananation about ECC.
I used to get better scans than this before I went and upgrade my drive with newer firmware.When I reverted back to BSLB, it was worst than the 2 instances before.

From my experience, BSPB with SB not activated for known media works better than BSLB with SB turned on for all medias.The built-in write strategy in BSPB is already more than good enough rather than to have the drive learn it on its own.

Here are 2 more scans which I did on the same day.With SB turned on for BSLB, my drive is not learning instead it’s more like forgetting.Look the scan turned out worst for the 2nd media I’ve burned.I’ve already burned more than 5 MCC004 discs yet the PIF counts are not improving.

The second media is a T003 by Plextor.After listening to DrageMester’s explanantion I must say the disc is in fact wonderful piece of media.