Single Layer vs. Dual Layer DVD-R

Hi,
I have DVD Fab and had a question about it. I was making copies of my dvd collection during the trial period using dual layer dvd-r’s, but now that I purchased the registration key, it keeps telling me that dual layers aren’t needed; I only need a single layer. However, single layer dvd-r’s won’t play in my dvd player. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks guys.

-KS

[quote=KSinF1;2125035]Hi,
I have DVD Fab and had a question about it. I was making copies of my dvd collection during the trial period using dual layer dvd-r’s, but now that I purchased the registration key, it keeps telling me that dual layers aren’t needed; I only need a single layer. However, single layer dvd-r’s won’t play in my dvd player. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks guys.

-KS[/quote]
at the bottom of dvdfab you have choice to use dvd5 or a dvd9 you need to selct dvd9 in the drop box in order to use a double layer dvd

[QUOTE=KSinF1;2125035]Hi,

-KS[/QUOTE]
Hi KSinF1 and welcome,

Without additional details, it’s a crap shoot as to why the SL media won’t play. It may be as simple an issue as a finalization problem.

Do these discs play in your pc?
In addition to the above advice, be certain to select SAO as Write Type and not packet writing.

If you could post a few burn logs, it’ll give us much of the info we need.

The default location is:
[B]C:\Documents and Settings[I]Administrator Name[/I]\My Documents\DVDFab\Log[/B]

I had a disc that claimed that compressing to 99% size would fit on a DVD5. I was copying the whole disc, and not wanting to compress at all, I elected to put use DVD9. When DVDFab started the copy process, I got the same message (DVD9 disc not needed). I ignored the message and clicked through to continue the process.

I chalked it up to one of the strange little quirks DVDFab exhibits from time to time.

99% size would fit on a DVD5…I elected to put use DVD9. When DVDFab started the copy process, I got the same message (DVD9 disc not needed).

what is your dvd5 size?

[QUOTE=jsimmons3;2125121]I had a disc that claimed that compressing to 99% size would fit on a DVD5. I was copying the whole disc, and not wanting to compress at all, I elected to put use DVD9. When DVDFab started the copy process, I got the same message (DVD9 disc not needed). I ignored the message and clicked through to continue the process.

I chalked it up to one of the strange little quirks DVDFab exhibits from time to time.[/QUOTE]

because when dvdfab has removed the encryption, the resulting file is a bit smaller than the original, so it’s initial estimate of 99% changes to an actual of 100%

I’m starting to see more and more commercial releases coming out on SL disks. I just picked up “Bait Shop” and it is a single layer disk. In a case like that you could get that message.

[QUOTE=90312;2125360]I’m starting to see more and more commercial releases coming out on SL disks. I just picked up “Bait Shop” and it is a single layer disk. In a case like that you could get that message.[/QUOTE]

I’m pretty sure that when the original single layer DVD spec was finalised, it was meant to have enough capacity to store an average length movie - about 90mins.

in fact , some brands of blank DVD-R sold for use in home dvd recorders have a run time of 120 minutes on the packaging.

arguably, the only reason that many commercial DVD releases are padded with extras and sold on D/L media is to make them harder to copy.

[QUOTE=cybmole;2125364]I’m pretty sure that when the original single layer DVD spec was finalised, it was meant to have enough capacity to store an average length movie - about 90mins.

in fact , some brands of blank DVD-R sold for use in home dvd recorders have a run time of 120 minutes on the packaging.

arguably, the only reason that many commercial DVD releases are padded with extras and sold on D/L media is to make them harder to copy.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I like to use “Main Movie” and skip the junk, and hardly ever does it compress at all even if the original is a DL.

[QUOTE=KSinF1;2125035]Hi,

-KS[/QUOTE]
what kind of dvd player do you have? i had a samsung dvdv9700 and after 2 mos it would not play home made dvd’s no matter how they were made! it may be your player…