Simultaneous Burning Needed

vbimport

Hi Everyone,

I have a pretty specific set of circumstances that I’m hoping someone can help me with. My cousin’s church has decided to make the move from providing parishioners with cassette copies of their weekly services to putting them on CD. Currently they use a simple cassette recorder to record the 80 (+/-) minute sermons then they use a double-speed duplicator for making copies. This is obviously very time consuming and makes it difficult to provide copies in a timely manner. What they wish to do is use Audacity or something comparable to record directly to a PC, then record the resultant WAV file to four CDs simultaneously.

Please forgive my stupidity regarding this topic as even though I am a Systems Administrator by trade and am proficient at building boxes, I have never specialized in audio recording/editing. What I would like to know is if the following components, paired with an OEM version of Nero can accomplish what is desired. It seems a little weak to me, especially regarding the ability of the bus to handle the simultaneous recording with OEM software. It’s from a local Mom-n-Pop that handles simple builds and does some service but they do not specialize in audio/video.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33m-S2
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550, 2.33 GHz
RAM: 2 GBs DDR2-667 (Brand not stated)
HD: 250 GB SATA 7200 RPM/150ms, 8 MB buffer (Brand not stated)
Burners: 4 X LiteOn DVDRW SATA DL
Power Supply: 350 Watt (Whatever comes in an Evercase LE 4292 case)

The computer will not be used for anything else. Even though I’m ignorant when it comes to this subject, it’s my gut feeling that they might be better off getting a lower-end box for the recording and a stand alone duplicator for making the copies. Their budget is to not exceed $1200.00

I’ll be grateful for any suggestions or leads.

Thanks in advance VERY MUCH,

Dan

Using Nero simply highlight the existing drives then having blanks in them then click burn.

Welcome to cdfreaks [I]DVD CD Freak.[/I] :slight_smile:

Don’t think this should be a problem with retail version of Nero linky.

BTW, don’t thank me, thank your god whatever it is. :flower:

Looks like THE_C beat me posting by a second. :bigsmile:

Hi THE C. & pinto2,

Thanks for the welcome and the quick replies but I was wondering if you could elaborate a little bit for me…

THE C. said: “Using Nero simply highlight the existing drives then having blanks in them then click burn.”

pinto2 said “Don’t think this should be a problem with retail version of Nero linky.”

Do you think they will be better off with a single PC for both recording and burning, or a PC for recording paired with a separate free-standing duplicator?

Also, the store doing the build said Nero is free so that means it is almost certainly the basic OEM version; will that be able to handle multiple burns? I can’t find anything on Nero’s site that explains the features & benefits of their OEM products.

Thanks Again,

Dan

PS
pinto2 said: “BTW, don’t thank me, thank your god whatever it is. :flower:

I never present myself as other than what I am, which is an atheist that [I]wishes [/I]for an afterlife that consists of being able to eternally travel the universe and witness cosmic phenomena. The computer in question is for my cousin’s church; I will pass your suggestion on to him but he is pretty devout so I’m pretty sure you could take it to the bank :iagree:

[QUOTE=DVD_CD_Freak;2006422]…Do you think they will be better off with a single PC for both recording and burning, or a PC for recording paired with a separate free-standing duplicator? [/QUOTE]Depends on your skills. :slight_smile:
But, for mass production duplicator path/solution is always better. [QUOTE=DVD_CD_Freak;2006422]Also, the store doing the build said Nero is free so that means it is almost certainly the basic OEM version; will that be able to handle multiple burns? I can’t find anything on Nero’s site that explains the features & benefits of their OEM products.[/QUOTE] make sure it’s a full version, not only the Nero Express that’s normally delivered with burners/compu.

I own a duplicator. Take a look at CopyStars.com for the best deals. I don’t judge people by their religon only their charactor.

[quote=pinto2;2006433]Depends on your skills. :slight_smile:
But, for mass production duplicator path/solution is always better. make sure it’s a full version, not only the Nero Express that’s normally delivered with burners/compu.[/quote]

Hi pinto2,

THe problem is that the computer/duplicator will be used by people with very little computer knowledge or skills. From what I’ve been able to glean, duplicators are pretty much foolproof nowadays (and surprisingly inexpensive). I’m sure I could learn how to use Audacity and thus teach them how to record/save their service as a WAV file for writing to a CD. At this time they only have four or five requests per week but as I told my cousin, I would expect that number to rise once word gets out that the recording is available on CD instead of tape. I also told him that if they went with a duplicator, they could fairly easily move into videotaping then copying to DVDs, albeit with a longer turn around time on the finished copies. Did I give bad advice here? In other words, if they went to videotaping the service, would that place any higher demands on the computer system’s bus when duping to four DVDs as opposed to four CDs?

Regarding the quote for the computer, I am also concerned with what will almost certainly be a sub par power supply (it comes w/the case and is only 350 watts) to drive a 65 watt processor, a 7500 RPM HD, four DVD DLs, and assorted fans, etc. My concern is that I don’t want them to have to replace this system in a year or two. [B]IF [/B]they stick to their current plan, i.e, copying CDs only, theoretically they should never have to invest in any other [more powerful] hardware or software. If they start out with an underpowered system, they could find themselves replacing components on a regular basis. Another concern is the software in that if they get an OEM version, it sounds like it won’t work, and if they get a full version it’s going to be… Uhhmmm… How say we say?.. Less than legal.:cop:

Please forgive my verbosity but as long as I have a sounding board, I want as much input as I can get, which is [B]GREATLY [/B]appreciated.

Take Care and Thanks Again,

Dan

PS Oh, and one more thing. I strongly suggested that the church ask their congregation if anyone has an older [U]P4 anyversion[/U] that can be donated. Since Audacity requires very little oomph from the computer, and burning the master CD would require very little power, more than likely they could get by with a RAM upgrade and a stand alone duplicator. Assuming the donated computer was to come with a monitor, they would probably only have to spend around $650 for a 1 to 5 (or even higher) system. Do you agree with my assessment? As I’ve said, I’m so new to this that I feel pretty much in the dark and am basing my statements more on intuition than real world experience.

PPS Just for the record, I don’t stand to make any money on this deal whether they go with the original quote or if I end up building them a simple system to go w/a duplicator. I took them paying me for the work out of the equation so as to avoid any appearance of there being a conflict of interest (my cousin giving me the job over a local business getting it). What I’m sincerely after is to go to my cousin and be able to say: “Well, you already know I don’t know much about duping but I was told on a forum…” So really, I am not biased as to whether my suppositions are right or wrong, I just want what is best for them.

Hi THE C.,

Thanks for the pointer to CopyStars. I’ve presented my cousin w/the options and I think they’re going to go with a middle of the road computer system and have me put together a 1-9 for them.

Take Care and Thanks To You Both,

Dan

Dan,

Our church just went cd. We chose a method that is more foolproof than Audacity. You said your sound people were not very computer savvy, and that is the way our church is.

I found that they already had a cd recorder in the sound booth – anybody can put a cd in and hit record. (they sometimes forget to finalize)

We choose to purchase a dedicated cd/dvd tower system that will do 7 simultaneously. http://www.discmakers.com/ It has an internal hard drive and you copy the master into the machine, then start duplicating. I trained the office person how to use it in about five minutes.

Right now, we are carrying the cd of the service to the machine and duplicating immediately and putting them out for sale in 5 minutes after the service is over. I print the labels on the blanks the day before.

I would highly recommend this type of setup for a church that has limited computer savvy help. Otherwise, you as an atheist will be spending a lot of time at church helping than you might want. It might be good for you anyways. :iagree:

With this type of dedicated system, you will have less problems, less training, and more consistent results with different people using it.

Kirk
http://www.eastrichlandfriends.com/

PS, we decided to get the duplicator that we did because it could also do DVD’s which they will want to do for handouts for special youth programs and Bible school.