Simulate does not work...Another Nero bug?

vbimport

I have Nero 6.6.0.5. When using Nero Express to burn video files that are on my hard drive, when I check “Simulation”, the program tells me to insert a DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R9 disk. When I insert a blank DVD+R disk, Nero tells me that “the test cannot continue with this type of disk”. (When I insert a disk that already has something recorded on it Nero tells me to insert a blank disk).

Can any else confirm that this is another Nero bug, or am I not using Simulate properly?

can you reproduce this error with Nero 6.6.0.6?

I did not try 6.6.0.6, but it looks like the same story.

I did not get any response to my question, so I posted the same question over at the CDRLabs forum. Believe it or not, here is the answer that I got from CCampbell, who is a Nero representative.

This is the response that CCampbell got from the Nero Engineers in Germany:

Hi Scandy,

The response is: “Simulation is allowed on some DVD+RW media for some recorders and on DVD-R always”.

So this is not a bug but normal operation.

Regards,
Craig

That is possible. I’ve seen recorders that do not support the simulation mode on some media. To find out the full capabilities of your recorder, you will have to contact your recorder manufacturer.

That may be true…but why does Nero prompt me to “insert a DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R9 disk”? Also, if it only works with some +RW media on some recorders or -R media, it would make more sense if Simulation was grayed-out (not selectable) if one of the other types of media was inserted.

Does anyone know why you can’t do simulation with +R media?

What kind of recorder are you using?

I have a Benq 1620 with B7T9 firmware.

If its any help, i am running a plextor 712 and i cannot simulate to +R or +RW. However -R and -RW simulate fine. The simulation is a hardware limitation and not a software one. That is why the software capability is there, but fails when you try.

Thanks a lot for the answer!

From the reply given by the the Nero Engineers in Germany:
“Simulation is allowed on some DVD+RW media for some recorders and on DVD-R always”.

This implies that Simulation will not work at all with +R or +R9 disks. If that is true, a suggestion that I have for a future version of the program would be to add a line to the error message that is currently displayed indicating what types of disks to use. Perhaps “The test cannot continue with this type of disk. Please try a -R/RW disk instead”.

I think that this would help to show that this is not a bug, and is the way that the software was designed to work.