Sims Unleashed (Safedisc v2.80.10)

I copied this game with no problem with CloneCD using the usual settings for Safedisc 2 protection. It plays perfectly in my Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1302 which I read the image from and copied with a Lite-On LTR-24102B. I could read the image from either drive and the game still played perfectly in the DVD-ROM. However, it would not play in the writer with hide CDR media on. It will also refuse to play in some of my friends CD-ROM drives, but play fine in others. If I try to play in my CD-writer without hide CDR Media off it says “Please insert correct CD”. If I try to play in my CD-writer with hide CDR Media on it gives me a error code that is the same as the error code I get in the CD-ROMS that it is not playing in: -DF394b.TMP at 0187:1004e8ed. Only CD-writers can determine CDR media, but I think the software in this game can tell that it is not running from a pressed disc from some CD-ROM drives. I know some writers can read barcode. I am not sure if any CD ROM drives can do this, but I thought I would share this data with the forum. I used to crack apple II games, but the 6502 and 65C02 assembly lanuage was a long time ago.

yep thats common with SD 2.8 when using liteon or clone cd was designed to do exactly that but use disc dump for the image and then burn it with burnatonce and you will have a perfect working copy in every drive just like your original:cool:

Originally posted by DrMatrix
[B]I copied this game with no problem with CloneCD using the usual settings for Safedisc 2 protection. It plays perfectly in my Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1302 …

…but I think the software in this game can tell that it is not running from a pressed disc from some CD-ROM drives.

…I used to crack apple II games, but the 6502 and 65C02 assembly lanuage was a long time ago. [/B]
I’m not familiar with this unit. I have the 1402 which is excellent but poor old alexnoe has the 1502, which he feels a bit sorry about; but, it is good for testing :slight_smile:

Not so much that, but rather like the 1502 some units are ‘media’ picky.

…and you’re as old as me! I looked at 6502 but my brain used to leak out my nose too much. D’ya remember some of those cracking proggys on 5 1/4" stuff? I wrote KeyLock :wink:

After further examination I found the logic to be incorrect since neither one of my devices could read barcode. Since it reads on some drives and not others it leads me to believe that it has something to do with the sync gaps between the sectors. Some drives my take longer to read than others. The software only tries to read it so many times and gives up. I used to crack games for the Apple II and even some of those were impossible to make a 1:1 copy of. Hardball is an example of quarter-tracking.
There was much confusion about what quarter-tracking really was. It was written with a modified drive. The drive used a modified head to write wider tracks. The head was seeked at track $21.50 and wrote the track that covered tracks $21 through $22. That’s why tracks $21 and $22 are the same. The software on the game seeks to track $21 and steps to track $22 and then back to Track $21 by $.25 (Quarter-Tracks) and does a read of all 16 sectors each time. If this was written by a normal drive you would not be able to read Track $21.50 on the way back to track $21. I know this is not an Apple II forum, but someone wrote “If it can be written to the CD, then it can be read to an image file and copied to a CDR”. I wanted to use this as an example to show this is not always true. It’s only true if you are using the same equipment that it was written with. Other games used quarter-tracking as well and an encrypted loader so it would be harder to crack. One-on-One, Marbles, Movie Maker and guess who published it. Electronic Arts. Yes, They’ve been at it a long time. CloneCD and CD Mate are not very sophisticated copy programs compared to the bit copiers of the 80’s, but they are getting there and I want to Thank Them All for their time so lets support them by paying and not stealing there stuff.
I was able to get a playable backup that worked in my friends drives with CD mate. Yes, we all do own what we back up. They don’t have a lite-on though.

I have had the same problem with my old plex 8/20 killer :frowning:

But I could copy with the combination of DDump and BurnAtOne :smiley:

Thanks guys