Simplified Help Needed

What’s up fellas and fellettes…!

I am new to this forum but am by no means new to the great information “providing” power of message boards.

My apologies up front if this post makes some of you roll your eyes… I’m super freakin’ busy and at the expense of not getting “expert” answers in the “Newbie” forum I have decided to post my question here…

Thanks, again in advance, for any help and your patience…

I currently have a Pacific Digital External CDRW 24x10x40 Drive and an internal HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-24ON.

Before I throw down $$$ for a licensing key for CloneCD I would like some of you to give me the go ahead…

I want workable, bootable, reserve “slash” copies of Sim City 4, The Sims Double Deluxe Edition, Age of Mythology, and Age of Empires II along with the Conquerors Expansion. I want both my wife and I to stop squabling over the original disks. I want backups that will intall and play the games.

If you were me, and had the above drives, what would you use software wise and why, and even how if you have the time… :bow:

Any input greatly appreciated… Thanks!

First off Welcome to the forum. And don’t worry the “Experts” do go to the Newbie forum to help people out.

Now then to copy the games that you have listed it come down mainly to your CDRW abilities and unfortunatly I can’t seem to find any info on what your drives can and can’t do.

So swiftly on to the next point untill I or someone else can find out somthing about your drives.

Now then I am going to try not to ignite the whole Alcohol Vs BlindWrite Vs CloneCD issue again here, but I will say that CloneCD has been basically dead for the past year and is only now getting updated again. This means realistically that they are up to 1 year behind in development terms and ability to copy the lastest copy protections.

I don’t want to put one program above the other. So I would suggest using the trial version of all three and see which one you like the best and most importantly which one copies your games the best. To get the settings that you need for each just do a search.

Hope this helps

agree with the post above

right now go for blindread/write or alcohol

they allow some kind of emulation that works with many cdr(w)-drives and games to make them work as the originals.
Sadly i never heard of the brands you use also

Thanks for the info.

Honestly I might have mis stated my buner specs. The pacific digital burner is a Lite On something. Can’t tell right now because I’m at work.

Could you all provide me with some links to where I can download the trial versions of your recommended software.

Thanks, again, in advance.

You want links, you got links.:bigsmile:

Alcohol 120%
BlindWrite
CloneCD

Hope these help.

Your the man…

Thanks!

More Links

if I were in your shoes so to speak and i had those drives id go with bw5 for two reasons…

it can handle most protections and uses emulation (which your going to have to have for the HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-24ON…i have the GCC-420N (dell laptop)…its a goldstar drive not very good) autoplay which comes with Blindwrite should allow you to play backed up titles on that drive. use the pacific digital to do the backup as your GCC will not backup the titles your speaking of i can assure you.

just remember to install the autoplay standalone or another copy of bw5 on your other computer that has the GCC-240N so your able to play the titles.

Second reason is Blindwrite is real easy to use all you have to do is put the original in write it to your hard drive then put in the blank media hit a button and it does it all for you!

buy some good media also…i cant emphasize how important that is…verbatam datalifeplus cdrs is about the best…ive had good results with sony media also (tdk and fuji ive gotten so so results).

use cdrws to burn at first so you dont waste cdrs…bw will automattically erase them for you too;)

im not a BW fanboy by any means but for your situation id say its the best fit…

though both clonecd and alcohol120 will do just as well just a wee bit more involved. well actually clonecd doesnt do as well with securerom as the other two so you may want to hold off on that one.

Jamos,

Thanks for the info man. The most comprehensive yet.

I am burning via the DVD/CDRW Drive in my Dell Laptop. The copies of The Sims Deluxe Edition and Age of Mythology seem to be working ok. My first run with AOEII and Sim City 4 did not work. I just made an image of AOEII using Alcohol 120% in SafeDisc1 mode or whatever(?). I haven’t hade a chance to burn the image yet. I’ll post my results in a little while… and yes I definitely should have used CDRWs instead of CDRs. I’ve wasted about 10 already.

I also have the trial version of Blindwrite installed on my computer. I’ll try that if Alcohol doesn’t work this time around.

Thanks for the info.

Good new…

Alcohol 120% worked on AOEII using the SafeDiscI setting. Trying Sim City 4 next.

glad to see you got it working im suprised that your laptop gcc drive can copy those titles…Im assuming you also are playing them back on that machine also.

remember to have alc120 installed on your other computer also so it will play them also…alc120 will hide the fact that you are using cdr media on your other cdrw drive…without it your games wont play.

Thanks for the help.

I am playing them on the same computer/drive that I both installed and burned them on… my Dell laptop.

Thanks for the heads up on installing Alcohol 120% on my other computer. I definitely would not have done that.

I’m in the process right now of burning the image of Disc 2 of Sim City 4. I’ll post the results shortly.

Again, thanks for your help!

Originally posted by Jamos
remember to have alc120 installed on your other computer also so it will play them also…alc120 will hide the fact that you are using cdr media on your other cdrw drive…without it your games wont play.

Question…

What if my other computer doesn’t have a CDRW drive? It just has a DVD/ROM drive.

Thanks,

Well my Sim City 4 burn does not seem to be working.

When I insert the burned copy and double click the Sim City 4 Icon the following error message comes up…

“Sim City 4 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.”

When I click on “more information on this error” the following comes up:

Error signature.
AppName: simcity4.exe AppVer: 1.1.610.0 ModName:~df394b.tmp
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 000548ed

I used Alcohol 120% with ScanDisk2 set and burned on my Dell laptops CDRW/DVD ROM drive.

Where to go from here? Might it just be the CDRW drive I’m using. Copies of AOEII, The Sims Double Deluxe, Age of Mythology and AOE Conq. Expansion seem to be working fine and I used the laptop’s CDRW drive.

Suggestions please…

Also I do have a Pac.Digital CDRW drive to try.

Several things to try here.

One. Both CD’s are copy protected So you will need to do the same thing to both.

Is this the guide that you followed from the other thread.

ALCOHOL 120%

1. After starting the program and inserting the cd to be copied into your chosen reader (note: for the time being, use your writer as the reader; owing to a minor bug in the trial program safedisc reading speed is appalling with my Ltd-163 but is quite acceptable with my Ltr-24102b; the programmer is aware of the problem and is working on fixing it), click on Copy Wizard.

2. At the next screen select your reader and reading speed and select Safedisc 2 as the Datatype to set the appropriate reading method. Then click next.

3. At the next screen, you will be asked to specify an image name and a destination directory. The defaults already selected are OK so just click next.

4. At the next screen, select your recorder, make sure Bypass EFM Errors is UNCHECKED (otherwise, correct write settings for safedisc 2 will already have been set by the program), and then click Start .

5. Reading will then commence and on the screen displayed there will be an indication of progress and of the reading errors encountered.

6. When reading finishes you will be prompted to insert a blank cd into your writer. Do so and writing will commence as soon as the blank disc is detected.

7. When writing is completed the burnt cd will be ejected and a message that writing is completed will be displayed. Click OK on that message box, click Finish in the main program and you’re done.

If so then you need to change step for to the one below.
4. At the next screen, select your recorder, make sure Bypass EFM Errors is CHECKED (otherwise, correct write settings for safedisc 2 will already have been set by the program), and then click Start .

The only difference is that EFM errors is checked instead of checked but it can make a big difference if your drive isn’t very good.

Originally posted by TCalYen
[B]Well my Sim City 4 burn does not seem to be working.

When I insert the burned copy and double click the Sim City 4 Icon the following error message comes up…

“Sim City 4 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.”

When I click on “more information on this error” the following comes up:

Error signature.
AppName: simcity4.exe AppVer: 1.1.610.0 ModName:~df394b.tmp
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 000548ed

I used Alcohol 120% with ScanDisk2 set and burned on my Dell laptops CDRW/DVD ROM drive.

Where to go from here? Might it just be the CDRW drive I’m using. Copies of AOEII, The Sims Double Deluxe, Age of Mythology and AOE Conq. Expansion seem to be working fine and I used the laptop’s CDRW drive.

Suggestions please…

Also I do have a Pac.Digital CDRW drive to try. [/B]

thats a known safedisk 2.9 issue with a bad copy…im suprised you got as far as you did with that laptop drive…like i said i have the 420n and i never could get it to copy any safedisk protection. try your pacific digital next…im not sure if it will do the job or not…also try a real slow write speed like 4x.

this is why i kind of was steering you towards blindwrite it uses autoplay which helps with playing these titles when the copy is not 100%. if you cant get alc120 to work on that drive for all of your titles (which i cant do either on my dell laptop drive) try bw5…see which you like better before you buy.

OK first of all thanks for all the help guys.

In Alcohol 120% I don’t see a check box for EFM errors anywhere. The way I sucessfully copies AOEII, Sim City Deluxe, Age of Mythologies, and the Conq.'s Expansion was using my Dell laptop CDRW drive and first making an image and then burning the image instead of using the copy wizard whick I am assuming is the exact same thing.

I sucessfully installed Sim City 4 using the backup copies I made but I can’t play the game with those same backup copies. I did however test the install (backup copy install) with the actual original Sim City 4 play disc and the game worked… so I’m assuming my backup copy install is sound.

Any input as to why I don’t see the EFM check box. Might it be that the default setting for SafeDisk2 copyright protection already takes care of the EFM settings and doesn’t display the check box in Alcohol 120%?

I’ll try BlindWrite 5 when I get home. If this burn is successful will I also have to have BlindWrite 5 installed on any computer that I play the backup playdisc of Sim City 4 on?

I’m actually going to try the burn using my Pac. Digital burner and Alcohol 120% and then I’ll try BlindWrite 5 on my laptop and then with the Pac. Digital burner.

Thanks again for the help…

Originally posted by TCalYen
[B]OK first of all thanks for all the help guys.

In Alcohol 120% I don’t see a check box for EFM errors anywhere. The way I sucessfully copies AOEII, Sim City Deluxe, Age of Mythologies, and the Conq.'s Expansion was using my Dell laptop CDRW drive and first making an image and then burning the image instead of using the copy wizard whick I am assuming is the exact same thing.

I sucessfully installed Sim City 4 using the backup copies I made but I can’t play the game with those same backup copies. I did however test the install (backup copy install) with the actual original Sim City 4 play disc and the game worked… so I’m assuming my backup copy install is sound.

Any input as to why I don’t see the EFM check box. Might it be that the default setting for SafeDisk2 copyright protection already takes care of the EFM settings and doesn’t display the check box in Alcohol 120%?

I’ll try BlindWrite 5 when I get home. If this burn is successful will I also have to have BlindWrite 5 installed on any computer that I play the backup playdisc of Sim City 4 on?

I’m actually going to try the burn using my Pac. Digital burner and Alcohol 120% and then I’ll try BlindWrite 5 on my laptop and then with the Pac. Digital burner.

Thanks again for the help… [/B]

the copy protection doesnt kick in till you try to play the game…hence that is why you could install it and not play it so the backup probably isnt sound on that cd. im not sure in alc120 where to turn off efm i thought it was in the recording profile settings (you should be using the safedisk not safedisk2 profile as that has efm turned off in alc120).

if you cant get alc120 to work try bw5 its alot easier to use as you dont even need to worry about what copy protection the cd has it determines the settings for you.

For reference to make sure the EFM errors is on you need to go to the options/ general menu. Then go to the Data Type Settings option in there. You should then have a drop down box where you would select the SafeDisc 2 profile.

Finally go to the recording tab and your will see a check box there called bypass EFM errors.

Just so you know it would have been been on as the default setting.

Originally posted by Womble
[B]For reference to make sure the EFM errors is on you need to go to the options/ general menu. Then go to the Data Type Settings option in there. You should then have a drop down box where you would select the SafeDisc 2 profile.

Finally go to the recording tab and your will see a check box there called bypass EFM errors.

Just so you know it would have been been on as the default setting. [/B]

yes also to add to this point the safedisk profile already does this exact thing…so you could just use that instead of changing settings or use alcoholer to launch alc120 and it sets everything up for you…try writing at 4x also it makes a difference with cheaper media.