Simple question: Whats the best LiteOn DVD writer in the market atm?

I am not looking for the fastest burner, or a burner that can be heavily tweaked.

I am simply looking for the most stable, “recognised” and tested burner. I want GOOD burns. Thats all.
Oh and, uhm, I’d appreciate it if ya could also recommend a good firmware for it.

Also, I intend on using ricohjpn RO1 media. From what I’ve read, these work good with LiteOn drives. Correct?

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Oh and, I’d like to add that I’ll be using OmniPatcher.

I’ve been readin the OmniPathcer thread(s) now and quite frankly, I am a bit overwhelmed.
I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what “strategy” is recommended for the Richojpnr01 discs. Thanks!!

The 812S is excellent value for money and it can be cross flashed to an 832S if you want to burn DL media.

The RICOHJPNR01 media does not require a strategy change and if you just use OP’s recommended tweaks will just up it’s burn speed to 8x. :slight_smile: I would however also recommend that you enable the Force-shift option and possibly the Earlier shift option.

What do you mean by “DL media”?
Also, you say that the 812S can be flashed to a 832S… therefore, I am assuming the 832S is the better burner, so, shouldnt I just buy that one instead of worrying about flashing n stuff…

Dual layer on one side. Like a DVD Movie but recordable. Stores up to 8.5GB.

Also, you say that the 812S can be flashed to a 832S… therefore, I am assuming the 832S is the better burner, so, shouldnt I just buy that one instead of worrying about flashing n stuff…

If you want to look at it that way, sure. :slight_smile:

But, if I look at it another way… I can get 832S performance with 812S price! right?
So, in that case, the 812S is the better option.

But ya know, forgive my noobish paranoia… there is a 20$ difference between the 832S price and the 812S price. And, uhm, you think LiteOn are that dumb that this difference can be nullified with just a BIOS flash? I mean, theres got to be a catch “somewhere”? yea?.. sorry, just a bit skeptical thats all.

You really have to weigh up whether you want to have to cross flash or not. The 832S firmware needs to be patched to run in the 812S, using the OmniPatcher.

there is a 20$ difference between the 832S price and the 812S price. And, uhm, you think LiteOn are that dumb that this difference can be nullified with just a BIOS flash? I mean, theres got to be a catch “somewhere”? yea?.. sorry, just a bit skeptical thats all.

Have a look at [thread=100956]this thead[/thread]. This is for the model, two models, before the 812S . :wink:

Ok. Thanks for your replies CodeKing.
I think I’ll buy the 812S then.

Now, this might be a bit off topic, but since I have attracted the co-dev of OmniPatcher himself…I thought I’d ask this >.<

I downloaded OmniPathcer and am reading the ReadMe.
Now, I need to flash my 812S drive to 832S, right? So, do I need to use OmniPatcher to configure the EXEs or just get one of your pre-made patches from your website?
Do I have to download the patch for 812S drive or for 832S drive?? Like, on your website there are numerous patches for 812S and 832S… but nothing specifically says which patch CONVERTS 812S to 832S. Am I clear? Do you understand what I mean?

Since it’s your own thread I don’t a problem. :wink:

1/ Download the stock 832S firmware (try VS08 first)
2/ Unpack the RAR file
3/ Load the exe file into OP
4/ Enable crossflash option and recommended tweaks
5/ Save file as newname.exe
6/ Run the saved exe
7/ click yes
8/ Select the correct drive from the dropdown list
9/ Click update
10/ You have an 832S :slight_smile:

Ok dude. Gotcha.
Thanks!

Oh btw, can I stick to 812S firmware but burn at 8x? Like, I could extract the firmware from my 812S drive, use OmniPatcher to load it… and then change the speed of RICOHJPN01 to 8x. Is that possible?
The reason is, I’ve been doing some research and I found a post where this dude was able to get MUCH better burns using the default 812S firmware
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=103114&page=1&pp=25 (second last post, by pinto2)

Yes. If you don’t need to burn DL media, you can stick with the 812S firmware. That’s the only diffence between 812S and the 832S.

You don’t need to backup you firmware because all of the version are available from my site anyway, with a built in flasher…but what you said would work.

I’m getting my second 812S this week in addition to my first LSC-series drive, an LSC-24082KX. For a little more than US retail prices.

Still no news of 16x writer release in South Korea though it’s already the 17th day of August.

832 is better because it is able to burn DL (Dual Layer) DVD+R media, so you can put the whole movie onto one disc without need to recompress and so on…