Simple question, expecting not o simple answers

Greetings all…:slight_smile:

I’m new here, been reading the forums on this site for a few days now and must say, have learned alot from you all, thank you for the experience you share.

I guess my biggest question, put most simply, is why can’t a 1:1 duplication app be made regardless of protections…if the image is truly a pristene bit for bit copy?

I realize hardware is a factor, as well as your machines OS…but seems to me, a stand alone app, bootable with it’s own OS could achieve a true 1:1 regardless of protections,. with the possible exception of the thumbprint signiture that the media tells the host pc it is “burned media”.

Any ideas??? Just a thought…:slight_smile:

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

Hardware and sofwtare are both factors. If you read about Tages here for example, you essentially learn it exploits the way windows explorer reads files and same goes for how it burns them. Are you gonna sit there and re-program Windows???.. probably not. You need the proper paper, and ink, not just the bar stamp to truley produce a dollar bill to make it legit right… well, Securom uses different media that regular cd media is not made out of. The twin sector methd tricks the game to bypass the protections scheme. Sooooo… nowadays most copies, even with hardware compatible burners that can do say safedisc, make them so they ar egood enough, even in cases without emulation, BUT, they are still not truley 1:1. Read around more in the basic guides to get an idea.

Hope that helped on some basic level, as each of what I mentioned actually gets much deeper.

If you were to make a 1:1 copy, wouldn’t the CD have to be the ones they use at the replication plant? Unless you had those kind of CDs, a 1:1 copy would not be possible.

A lot of people use the term ‘1:1 copy’ without knowing what it really means. If you successfully backup a protected CD, you can only get it as good that the guard module on the game thinks it’s the real CD.

A 1:1 copy is making an exact replica of the CD, with perfect media with perfect hardware and software. Just remember that the tools they use to add copy protections to CD’s aren’t burners like we use…

BUT every protection has floors and weaknesses.

I do understand it’s more complicated on many levels, though by no means do I claim to be muchmore than a newbie in this arena…so please be patient if I sound oversimplistic…:slight_smile:

I guess I was more curious to know that if I got away from Win / OS altogether with Linux or BSD, I’d have a better chance of getting quality back-ups.

I realize “burned media” is still physically different than “pressed media” but was thinking removing windows from the equasion might have benefits…

Thank you for your time…:slight_smile:

Getting away from windows might be a possibility, but not a very practicable one. Since it would require that everyone that wants to make a copy of his/her game, would have to have this different operating system to burn his copy. In case it slipped past you, the whole world is using windows/microsoft. Few are using Linux/Unix/Sun ect…

Thats why solutions using windows are worked on. For the masses.

Thanks for your time.

If you really wanted, you could have 2 OS’s on the same system.

As I am still leaning to crawl in here, but learning, would like to thank Xtacydima for the TAGES link…it’s was an educting thread…lot of people smarter than me hoping for help from people smarter then them…granted the math got over my head, but the gist of it understood :slight_smile:

$CyBeRwIz$, Thank you also for your posts, don’t really know you, but think I’d be correct if I labled you the voice of reason…we’d all be disturbed…because we’d be afraid it’s true…LOL

kid185, no disrespect…in fact I respect you accept WinMS is the bulk of the masses, so in Win/OS, we figure out how to beat these things. Also in fairness, I’ve come to agree that while some protections can simply be defeated by bypassing Win… While I don’t think it’s impractical to develop “or use an existing non-win os product”, it’s not practical in the sense that that ISO still needs / wants to be played as burned media on a Win OS box as read methods and hardware restrictions still exist.

I still believe a “non-windows” model has a few benefits, but clearly need to learn more on this subject before I can speak intelligently…:confused:

Thank you all for your posts and time…been an great ride.

The truth can be disturbing…:bigsmile:

yes it can…ever see your mother in law nekkid??? nuff said…lolol

Originally posted by ZigZagMan
yes it can…ever see your mother in law nekkid??? nuff said…lolol

Since $CyBeRwIz$ is about 13, he’s got a few years up his sleeve before he has to worry about that frightening prospect. :wink: :bigsmile:

Originally posted by philamber
Since $CyBeRwIz$ is about 13, he’s got a few years up his sleeve before he has to worry about that frightening prospect. :wink: :bigsmile:

Yes, I guess I am lucky in that aspect:D

Originally posted by $CyBeRwIz$
Yes, I guess I am lucky in that aspect:D

Still, I reckon that maybe we should hook you up with smarty_pants_023 who’s about your age (assuming we can tear her away from Domi that is :bigsmile: ).

Originally posted by philamber
Still, I reckon that maybe we should hook you up with smarty_pants_023 who’s about your age (assuming we can tear her away from Domi that is :bigsmile: ).

Tearing her away will be a hard task, we need to scheme.

Meanwhile, i’ll take care of Domi. He’s going to get a BIIIIIIIIIIIG suprise the next time he gets in his bed…he he he he HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!:bigsmile:

@ZigZagMan

You can read this about 50 times and maybe understand the starting principle of cd duplication, what its based on, and how copy protection can take great advantage of these many factors.

Its starts out simple but gets kinda complicated. But after some time, you will become a novie…hehehe :stuck_out_tongue:

P.S. - ZigZagMan, not somehow related to the chain of ZigZag Music stores around the United States???

Originally posted by $CyBeRwIz$
[B]Tearing her away will be a hard task, we need to scheme.

Meanwhile, i’ll take care of Domi. He’s going to get a BIIIIIIIIIIIG suprise the next time he gets in his bed…he he he he HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!:bigsmile: [/B]

Mission accomplished!!!

http://club.cdfreaks.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=44940

I think the ZigZag come from the papers he uses to roll his own with, xtacydima, not the music stores. lol

Alright…Here we go

Nick is an old carry over from my days when IRC was “middle aged”. I bought a pair of sunglasses, had a pic took, shared it with friends online. I apparently looked alot like Boris “for you kids, the original ZZM, not the guy on the papers now…:)”

Nick has stuck…wear it proudly…:slight_smile: