Simple make .mpg option?

vbimport

Not sure where to put this as its not really adding a feature as DVD Fab already can do this. I can select the title, select the output to be an .mpg, etc., already. What would be nice, a little more user friendly, is if the process, rip a dvd, convert particular titles, main title, main movie, etc., to an .mpg was made easier. There are software packages out there that do just this one thing. Take a vob and convert it to an mpg. DVD Fab has all the stuff already in place to do so. Not reinventing the wheel. This is more about how the pieces of the GUI are arranged.

Not sure if I’m making any sense there.

Sometimes less is more.

Here’s the application. We are seeing more and more networked media servers as folks get wired up, displays having media servers built-in, blu-ray players with media servers built in, add in media servers for several home theater devices, etc. Those media servers or playback devices can “use” lots of different formats depending on the device. Most can use .iso’s, .mpg, some can use .vob’s, etc., natively.

We don’t need to do a major file conversion/compression to have the proper file to feed those media playback devices. We need simple ripping, converting, etc., to get to iso, mpg, vob, etc.

And again the pieces are already in place with DVD Fab. This is not technically a “new” feature. Just need to rearrange those pieces and the choices in the GUI. DVD to mpg, dvd to iso, whatever…

And yes this same end result can be had using DVD Fab in the process and then some other software. I understand.

But why when all the pieces are already in place in DVD Fab?

?
VOB is MPEG.
They don’t need to be converted, just relabelled to .mpg
The only issue I could see here is a size limit on files read by the media player if you decided to join the VOBs together to one huge MPG.
That’s why most media players use DivX/XviD - to make the AVI small enough to read.
What do you wish to convert the VOB/MPG to ?
Not sure I understand what you’re after here !
Fruitcake

Quickest way I can explain it is to suggest you d/l vob2mpg and take a gander at its trial. A picture will do way more to explain it than I can by words in terms of what it looks like.

Maybe going backwards makes it easier to explain. Sit on your couch, using your remote, accessing your media server to watch archived dvd’s. Yes it is the case that some media servers handle the ripped dvd intact. “Some” is the key word. I’ve yet to see one that can’t do mpg/avi/vob and show a icon/thumbnail from the mpg/avi/vob. Would be nice if DVD Fab had a “new” option in its menu, “DVD to MPG, DVD to AVI, DVD to VOB” intended for storaged on a NAS Media server. So if you are sitting on your couch, remote in hand, scanning your media server, what kinds of files would work on that media server? DVD Fab can easily make those files as it is internally. We just need a couple of options in the GUI/Menu.

I think that if you look at the trial of VOB2MPG it will make a ton more sense.

Actually there is no trial version. VOB2MPG is free.

Yes there is a Pro version and a free version. I consider the free version to be a trial version. Details…

Just had a look and :-

“VOB2MPG converts your DVD to MPG file(s). It goes through a whole DVD VIDEO_TS folder and joins up the various vobsets to produce MPGs for the different titles. It does NOT reconvert the video and audio.”

So it basically just joins the VOBs together to make one big VOB which it then labels MPG.

It has the ability to select individual titles, as does DVDFab, so as far as I can see you’ll get the same result by using DVDFab to extract & de-crypt the VOBs to a VOB/MPG with the audio of your choice.

Perhaps I am being incredibly dense but I still don’t see what you are trying to achieve that DVDFab fails to do already. Once the VOBs are decrypted, they are just MPGs called VOB. I take your point that you then have to join them together, but there are several media file joiners out there that do this and it’s certainly safer to join previously decrypted VOBs together once they are done than to hope a program will output a 4Gb plus file without error while converting it at the same time.
The extra processing & temp space that it would take for DVDFab to hold on to 4-6Gb of information until it is finished would take truckloads more time than using a file joiner after the event. It would be a lot more prone to error too.
I also take your point that it won’t extract each individual episode of an episodic disk to a separate MPG, but if you do an episodic disk it’s easy to see which ones to join once you’ve created your decrypted version.

That’s exhausted my limited technical expertise, I’m afraid.
I hope that I understood you correctly & also that some Guru will be able to help you.

All the best,
Fruitcake

[QUOTE=Fruitcake;2473697]Just had a look and :-

“VOB2MPG converts your DVD to MPG file(s). It goes through a whole DVD VIDEO_TS folder and joins up the various vobsets to produce MPGs for the different titles. It does NOT reconvert the video and audio.”

So it basically just joins the VOBs together to make one big VOB which it then labels MPG.

It has the ability to select individual titles, as does DVDFab, so as far as I can see you’ll get the same result by using DVDFab to extract & de-crypt the VOBs to a VOB/MPG with the audio of your choice.

Perhaps I am being incredibly dense but I still don’t see what you are trying to achieve that DVDFab fails to do already. Once the VOBs are decrypted, they are just MPGs called VOB. I take your point that you then have to join them together, but there are several media file joiners out there that do this and it’s certainly safer to join previously decrypted VOBs together once they are done than to hope a program will output a 4Gb plus file without error while converting it at the same time.
The extra processing & temp space that it would take for DVDFab to hold on to 4-6Gb of information until it is finished would take truckloads more time than using a file joiner after the event. It would be a lot more prone to error too.
I also take your point that it won’t extract each individual episode of an episodic disk to a separate MPG, but if you do an episodic disk it’s easy to see which ones to join once you’ve created your decrypted version.

That’s exhausted my limited technical expertise, I’m afraid.
I hope that I understood you correctly & also that some Guru will be able to help you.

All the best,
Fruitcake[/QUOTE]

DVDFab’s DVD to Mobile option will create one single Vob :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2473712]DVDFab’s DVD to Mobile option will create one single Vob :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the answer to me :iagree:

Yes I know. That is why I said all the pieces are there. Just need some rearranging on the GUI.

Well I suggest you try VOB2MPG and then DVD Fab, DVD to Mobile, and tell me what you think.

[QUOTE=jsmiddleton4;2473775]Well I suggest you try VOB2MPG and then DVD Fab, DVD to Mobile, and tell me what you think.[/QUOTE]

Since you started the thread and the one with the issue I would suggest you try them both and use which ever one works best for you, also seeing this is the DVDFab forum we can only give help with DVDFab and any program used by DVDFab.

You sure seem to be missing the point there storm.

[QUOTE=jsmiddleton4;2473783]You sure seem to be missing the point there storm.[/QUOTE]

What point is that :confused:

I made the point quite clearly and suggested a software package to look at to make sure the point was clear. And some how you want to tell me this forum isn’t a support forum for the “other” software? Huh?

But I guess I’ll just leave it be now. Given the nature of your reply it appears to me the attempt to make an improvement to DVD Fab is unwelcome.

The need to go from DVD to media server is going to be a growing market. Guess I’ll just use VOB2MPG.

@ jsmiddleton4: [I]You’re [/I]missing the point!

[QUOTE=jsmiddleton4;2473792]I made the point quite clearly and suggested a software package to look at to make sure the point was clear. And some how you want to tell me this forum isn’t a support forum for the “other” software? Huh?

But I guess I’ll just leave it be now. Given the nature of your reply it appears to me the attempt to make an improvement to DVD Fab is unwelcome.

The need to go from DVD to media server is going to be a growing market. Guess I’ll just use VOB2MPG.[/QUOTE]

You seem to see something in my reply that is being misunderstood which I’m sorry you see it that way, however you are right this forum is not a support forum for VOB2MPG or any other software that is not related to DVDFab…just like the other forums like Nero, DVDneXtCopy and many others.