Simple DVD Test - Transfer Rate, ok?

vbimport

Here’s how this ‘Quality quest’ began -

I purchase ‘home-made,’ unprotected, instructional DVDs from eBay.

I collect these DVDs FASTER than I can actually set aside time to watch them.

When I do get around to watching them, sometimes I’m half-way through,
before I realize there was a burn error or a problem with the copy itself - skipping, dropout, etc. -
since the DVD itself is still pristine and has no scratches or gouges.

I am looking for a method (other than actually watching them all-the-way through)
to perhaps ‘scan’ these DVDs for problems - to see if I need to contact the Seller (from eBay)
about needing a replacement copy or to return the defective DVD.

Would a Transfer Rate Test using Nero’s CD-DVD Speed be adequate?

Geno -

I was just reviewing your CD-DVD Speed Guide online.

Since I am merely checking the ‘readability’ of a given DVD in question,

would you recommend that I ‘uncheck’ the ‘write’ option

under ‘Options’ ->‘transfer rate’?

I welcome any other CD-DVD Speed settings suggestions pertinent to my limited DVD-checking needs.

For example, shouldn’t I be setting a max read speed that ‘relates’ to
what this DVD would actually experience inside a set-top DVD player?

I mean, if someone burned a DVD for wide player compatibility (i.e. 4x, maybe 8x burn)
it really would not be fair to test the DVD’s transfer capability at faster speeds, right?

TriRyche

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

If your drive doesn’t supports quality scans, the TRT test is a valid alternative to check disc quality. If you want to run only the TRT test in cd-dvd speed, it’s not necessary to change options, but simply press the F2 button. If you want to run the TRT and only the TRT pressing the start button, then the only way is to unckeck all tests but the TRT in general options.

The TRT should be done at the max speed supported by the drive because the meaning of the test is to check the disc readability in the worst conditions. If a disc is perfectly readable in the worst conditions, then the burn was done successfully.

Geno -

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I guess my fear (as a newb) was related to a Transfer Rate ‘write’ test on the DVD,
even though this is either a DVD+R or DVD-R that was set to be a DVD-ROM
and can no longer actually be ‘written to’ anymore - silly me!

At the moment, I am performing a TRT on a DVD I know is flawed about 1hr 44 minutes into it.
(Incidentally, I did happen to ‘uncheck’ the [write] option before I began the TRT 10 min ago)

I’ll see if I can post a screenshot of the results when done.

TriRyche

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Don’t worry, there are some protections embedded in cd-dvd speed :slight_smile:

If you try to run a writing test on an already burned disc, you will receive an error message explaining that the writing test cannot be done.

Ok…

Before it could finish, a window popped-up stating -

Error!
UNRECOVERED READ ERROR (031100)

TriRyche

This error is due to an unreadable disc. If you can try to read that disc with another drive, maybe you can recover data and burn again on a different disc.

What discs are you using for your burnings? What brand and mediacode?

The DVD in question was one I purchased on eBay.
It fails miserably in a set-top DVD player about 1hr 44 min into playing.

I used InterVideo’s DVD Copy platinum to try to copy it at one point.
39 hours later, DVD Copy made an exact copy…of the flawed DVD!
Still, I gotta hand it to DVDCopy though, it WILL try its hardest to read that DVD.
The eBay Seller of this DVD recently shipped me a replacement.

Here is the information (courtesy of DVD Identifier) about the Media she (the Seller) used -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RICOHJPN-R03-004]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD-ROM]
Manufacturer Name : [Ricoh Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
Media Type ID : [R03]
Product Revision : [004]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]
[Method 2 Might Not Always Detect All Speeds]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------I’m all about the Verbatim & TDK Media (DVD & CDs) myself.

TriRyche

hmm it seems that you will have a hard time to recover these discs :doh:

Try to read these discs with another drive (ask to a friend if you don’t have another drive) and burn again these discs as soon as possible on good quality media like Taiyo Yuden or verbatim.

That would indicate that the drive you are using would seem to be suitable for your readability testing (TRT) as it fails discs which your standalone also fails on.

If it passed such discs with no problems, then it would be useless as a quick way to check the potential readability of your discs on your standalone.

No worries!

Here’s the info for the replacement the Seller recently sent me
(I am running a CD-DVD Speed ‘Transfer Test’ on this DVD, at this time)----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:SONY-D21-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD-ROM]
Manufacturer Name : [Sony Recording Media Co.]
Manufacturer ID : [SONY]
Media Type ID : [D21]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]
[Method 2 Might Not Always Detect All Speeds]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

In the meantime, what is the fastest read speed a ‘set-top’ DVD player
would be able to read, under optimum conditions?

Here’s an interesting article I’ve referred to more than once

TriRyche

Sorry, I don’t understand what you are asking. Can you possibly rephrase your question or explain it further?

Sorry about that. In other words -

Why burn a DVD-ROM at 16x speed if the intended purpose
is ‘maximum compatibility’ in ‘set-top’ DVD players (that usually can only read up to ? speed).

I am asking what that ‘?’ max. read speed is for most ‘set-top’ DVD players.

Before this ‘replacement DVD’ could finish, a window popped-up (again) stating -

Error!
UNRECOVERED READ ERROR (031100)
I’m going to run the same Transfer Rate Test using a different DVD Burner
and play this DVD in a ‘stand-alone’ DVD player before I contact the Seller
once again for another replacement DVD.

TriRyche

Here’s the latest -

It seems I was unable to successfully complete any Transfer Rate Tests using -

[ul]
[li]NEC 3500AG with 2.TG Firmware (internally mounted)
[/li][li]P4 540 Prescott 3.2 Ghz / 1GB RAM
[/li][/ul] However -

I am able to complete several Transfer Rate Tests using -

[ul]
[li]LG GSA-H10L (externally installed in an old Plextor USB 2.0 Case)
[/li][li]Adaptec AUA-5100 PCI USB 2.0 card
[/li][li]AMD 1700+ / 512MB RAM
[/li][/ul]

…and relatively quick, too!

Go figure!

TriRyche

The primary reason for higher speed burning is saving time. Though as your discs were from someone who is providing a commercial service, they should be providing you with good quality media written at a speed which will provide [I]‘maximum compatibility’[/I]. (This would be dependant on the writer they were using & the media they chose to use.)

If the replacement disc you have tested also has playback problem in your standalone player, then using your LG GSA-H10L is pointless for readability testing as it doesn’t reflect the likely readability in your standalone machine.

The fact the LG GSA-H10L can provide perfect TRT on discs which fails on your NEC drive is not too surprising as some writers have exceptional reading abilities which can be useful for data recovery but useless for checking for potential readability in other drives as you have experienced.

Does the original disc (which had readability problems in your standalone & NEC drive) have TRT problems in the LG GSA-H10L?

Also, does [I]any[/I] disc pass TRT in the NEC without issues? (to remove the potential of your NEC being faulty.)

The same 4 DVDs were Transfer rate tested on the NEC and the LG.

Yes - the TRT test (with that DVD on the LG GSA-H10L) is interrupted by ‘Error! UNRECOVERED READ ERROR (031100)’

All 4 DVDs TRT’d on the NEC were eventually interrupted by ‘Error! UNRECOVERED READ ERROR (031100)’

TriRyche

What I meant was if other DVDs you have (for example, discs you have written yourself) are able to complete the TRT test on your NEC with no problem.

Well to see which drive has the best correlation with readability in your standalone, you would need to view a disc which fails in the NEC [I]but[/I] passes TRT in the LG.

A possible result is that you may find that neither drive will be 100% useful in predicting the potential readability in your standalone.

Hopefully, TFT’s in the LG will spot ‘GROSS’ problems, if not the marginal ones (or indicators of future degradation).

Until I aquire a LITE-ON (or a Quality Test Capable) DVD Burner.

Is there an maintained online resource listing ‘quality scan capable’ burners?

TriRyche

None that I know. For scanning, most experienced users would probably recommend either Lite-ON/Plextor or BenQ (1600-1655 models only) writer drives, though each has various ‘weaknesses’ which only experience will reveal. Also, consumer drives are not calibrated scientific testing equipment so do not expect results to be 100% useful or accurate on all tested media.

There are other drives capable of being used as scanners but their use is not so widely accepted.

Actually the Benq 800/822/830 are good scanning drives as well, don’t know if the Benq 400 is or not. But then none of these earlier Benqs are near as common as the Benq 16xx series of drives, just wanted to clarify a little bit on what models can perform the tests.