Silver Underside CDRs

vbimport

Hi.

Generally speaking, are CDRs with a silver underside in any way inferior to ones that are coloured (green, blue, gold, etc)?

Are there any advantages of using silver undersided CDRs?

Thanks for any opinions.

Originally posted by A-Traveller

CDRs with a silver underside in any way inferior to ones that are coloured (green, blue, gold, etc)?

Are there any advantages of using silver undersided CDRs?

Originally posted by BoSkin

II. Data layer

In CD-R, the organic dye sandwiched between the polycarbonate substrate and the metalized reflective layer of the media.
CD-Recordable discs do not have any data on them until they are recorded.
Instead the recording laser selectively melts “pits” into the dye layer – but rather than burning holes in the dye, it simply melts it slightly, causing it to become non-translucent so the reading laser beam is refracted rather than reflected back to the reader’s sensors.
In pressed CDs, the data layer is part of the polycarbonate substrate, and is pressed into the top side of it by a “stamper” during the injection moulding process.

Blue dye ( recording layer ) on gold ( reflective layer ) looks green, on silver - blue.

Thanks BoSkin…

…but I’ve got a feeling that your answer is to someone else’s question on the board and you’ve posted here by mistake.

Anyone here who speaks simple English???

Sorry BoSkin; HAHAHA.

Originally posted by A-Traveller

Generally speaking, are CDRs with a silver underside in any way inferior to ones that are coloured (green, blue, gold, etc)?

…but I’ve got a feeling that your answer is to someone else’s question on the board and you’ve posted here by mistake.

Your feeling has deceived you, 'coz there’s no mistake here.
I hardly recall making any mistakes while participating @CDFreaks. :wink:

My post was referred solely to you.
There are no CDRs w so called silver underside, there are only pressed CDs that look that way,
and therefore I displayed the picture w the appropriate comment.

But BoSkin there are CD-R’s that are close to looking like silver pressed CD’s from the bottom. You have to look a bit longer than a quick glance to notice the color difference, however, I too have been fooled after looking at a CD-R very quickly and thought it was a pressed CD. When you compare the two side by side, though, there is no doubt.

I believe the color is a very faint gold color.

Since the color of the Phthalocyanine dye used in the recording layer is clear,
the combination of the reflective metal layer based on silver may result in the look similar to pressed CDs.

The media based on the Phthalo chemical formulation tends to be more stable and last longer.

For more info, pls refer to CDR components & Dye characteristics