Silver or gold bottom DVDR

vbimport

Im looking for either silver bottom or gold bottom dvd r s ive been looking all day on the net and i cant find any. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I’ve only seen purple and blue hues.

I have some Memorex DVD+RW’s that are a dark silver-gray.

Originally posted by curiousity_kills
Im looking for either silver bottom or gold bottom dvd r s ive been looking all day on the net and i cant find any. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Don’t think they exist. AFAIK (someone please correct me if I’m wrong) all DVD recordables are purplish because that’s the color the dye needs to be in order to react properly to the wavelength of DVD-writing lasers.

All RW media, whether it is CD or DVD, are dark gray, as that’s the color of the phase-changing crystalline compound.

I am looking for some DVD R medias that have a silverish writeable surface. Any one know what I should be looking for?

If you want media that is unmarked (No brand names/writing) Unbranded Taiyo Yuden might suit your needs. TY @ Rima.com

If You don’t mind brand names/writing on the top, FujiFilm (Packages that are labeled as “Made in Japan”) are also Taiyo Yuden. These (fujifilm) discs have a soft/hazey silver top.

These TDK 8X +R (jpnr 02 03) discs I got at Best Buy have a similar soft silver top. (Not as good as the Taiyo Yuden discs) *Note in the pics how the top clear cover of the spindle had indentations. If the clear cover is smooth (like most other spindles) it is likely that the media is CMC.

Hope this is of some help, Good Luck!

and these have the silverish bottom side and not top side?

The top (side that the laser does not write to) are silver, as described above. Most recordable DVDs have a dark purple-ish bottom. (The side the laser writes to). You should never label/write on the bottom.

Here is a pic of a Taiyo Yuden disc (unbranded) media from http://www.rima.com

The picture is the TOP of the disc (the side that can be written on with a cd marker/sharpie).

edit: The only DVDs I know of that have a “silver bottom” are commercialy “pressed” DVDs. They cannot be produced with consumer level equipment.

Evrybody know it is red or purple of the recorded side for a DVDR, but anybody seen a silver color of it? or any color else?

Notice: not the “up-side” of DVDR, but the “bottom-side” talking about here.

Nope, I guess its out of piracy-concerns or whatever since it was possible to produce CD-R discs with black or other coloured bottoms. I also heard about silver CD-R’s (that looked like pressed ones) some years ago on this forum but they never turned up in reality…

DVD’s are more complex sure but it shouldnt be too much of a trouble to make black or silver if you as a manufacturer really wanted to, no?

Moved your thread into the right place also.

i got ahold of some cd-r that u would have to look twice to notice the bottom was a burnt cd :slight_smile:

Well there do exist dvd recordables with gold bottom. OLD MITSUI/MAM-E (made in japan) and MAM-A (made in america/japan.)
Mitsui/MAM quite the production because the dye could not handle high speeds (2x was probally the fastest!).
I think I should have some pictures of this media somewhere.

These days MPO does use gold on DVD media however they combine it with a purple coloured dye. Which gives a rare shade of purple.

DVD’s are more complex sure but it shouldnt be too much of a trouble to make black or silver if you as a manufacturer really wanted to, no?

It’s much more complex as you think. To find a dye which is colourless and works at high speed and at the correct wave length.
As far is a I know only MITSUI found a dye which was colourless however it wouldn’t work with high speeds like I said befor.

i use some media that is a very light color blue/purpleish

Of what brand are you talking about?