Silver inkjet printables

vbimport

I’ve seen some silver inkjet printable discs on various media supplier sites but the images they show as demonstration of the output don’t appear to have any silver areas in them. Assuming these silver disks are as printable as the white ones, what’s the purpose of the silver versus the white?

I’ve also seen some commercial disks that have a matte gray background with shiny silver text or logos. They look very cool and I’d like to duplicate that effect. If my assumptions are correct, I can make an image with the gray background and white text and the printer will leave the white areas unprinted. That should leave the silver surface exposed and look similar to the commercial disks. Is that the purpose of these silver printable discs or am I missing something?

• Moved from [I]Blank Media[/I] forum to [I]CD & DVD Printing and Labeling[/I] forum * *

[quote=NOTS3W;2010772]I’ve seen some silver inkjet printable discs on various media supplier sites but the images they show as demonstration of the output don’t appear to have any silver areas in them. Assuming these silver disks are as printable as the white ones, what’s the purpose of the silver versus the white?

I’ve also seen some commercial disks that have a matte gray background with shiny silver text or logos. They look very cool and I’d like to duplicate that effect. If my assumptions are correct, I can make an image with the gray background and white text and the printer will leave the white areas unprinted. That should leave the silver surface exposed and look similar to the commercial disks. Is that the purpose of these silver printable discs or am I missing something?[/quote] You are correct in the observation that typical silver inkjet printable media isn’t shiney or as silvery as true silver is. To get that kind of effect one must buy the thermal printable silver discs or the silk screenable silvers, but of course these cannot be printed via an inkjet printer.

The Verbatim silver inkjet printables I have (and also probably with most other brands as well) have a greyish translucent coating (over a true silver base) to absorb the ink. Even though they may not look as stunning as a good thermal or silkscreen print on a silver disk, a silver inkjet printable disc still offers an interesting iridescent background that also tends to give text a nice 3D effect. This kind of disc is a good match for labels with photos that don’t depend on a white canvas for the printed colors to look correct. (Inkjet printers do not supply that color, of course.)

White inkjet printable discs tend to look too sterile if a photo or interesting background design isn’t used over most of the surface; this is where a silver inkjet printable disc can really be a good match, because it will tend to look interesting even if only text and perhaps a logo is used in the design. For certain photos, a silver inkjet disc can look stunning when the white areas instead have a silver appearence…

The silver inkjet discs are actually the same disc as the shiny silver thermal discs, but with an opaque printable coating applied. The effect is sort of a 3-D image that can be very appealing with the right label design. Generally, simple graphics and text look nice, but some images take on the 3-D effect. Keep in mind that there is no white on a silver printable disc, so any white in your image will come out silver (no printing at all). There’s a thread or 2 in this forum on silver printables.

Silver can look REALLY cool with certain graphics, in 3d like CDAN said.