Silly Question Day

vbimport

Tomorrow is June 27, 2014, which I hereby declare to be Ask a Silly Question Day.

If you have an appropriately silly question to ask, I will endeavor to answer. Time is limited for questions and answers however. At the end of the questions period, I will merge this thread into the Quest, and at least have something worth the effort to show for it.

Since this is actually the 26th, I’m cheating a bit, but this gives you all that much more time.

Fire away.

It’s the 27th here and it’s totally dark outside, so why is it a new “day” and not a new “night” ?

There was a time when days were days, and nights were nights…oh those were the days! We live in lesser times these days.

I suspect that it is a plot by the TimeLords, to confuse and daze us (see…days…daze…they even twist our words about). And speaking of twist, did you ever see the movie where the guy sang about Twist and Shout in the parade? That was a Day Off to remember!

So there you go…twists and plots of devious minds.

Ok , I’ll bite . I may come up with a better one tomorrow.

How high is up ?

Well…according to the Wikipedia entries, the tepui’s depicted in the movie [I]Up[/I] are in the range of 5,000 to 8,000ft. But since [I]Up[/I] is an animated film, I suspect they may be higher, and this may, in part, be due to the amount of “highness” being experienced by the animators. Movie folk are notorious for indulging in recreational substances, and so, they could have fudged a bit on their drawings.

Speaking of fudge, why do you think they don’t have “special fudge”, when “special brownies” are so common? Is this just prejudice on our part? Do we need to form a group in support of “special fudge”? Oh, so many causes to support and so little time.

:iagree:What type of special brownies are we talking about JC knows special brownies,I suppose you could use fudge.

“Special fudge” seems to be a lost opportunity in the realm of illicit desserts. In fact, I’ve never heard of them before the phrase popped into my mind in answering the previous question.

And popped into my mind, there’s a funny way of expressing one’s self. As if there was a springboard and a landing area for odd thoughts. At least it wasn’t pooped. I get enough of that watching the latest Hollywood films.

But to answer your question, “special brownies” are not in fact outstanding fairy creatures, but are a type of recreational ambrosia developed by enterprising youngsters during the Sixties, and continued by collegians ever since.

Next question.

Who would win in a fight (verbal, physical…any kind of fight): a psychic who can see the future, or a person who can warp time/time travel?

What do Star Trek and toilet paper have in common?

Who would win in a fight (verbal, physical…any kind of fight): a psychic who can see the future, or a person who can warp time/time travel?
Ah, such a good silly question. Time is one of my favorite subjects as it seems there is either never enough of it or far too much.

A fight between two individuals of such great control over time might last for as long as the two could physically endure. As one warps time to fit his victory, the other foresees it and forestalls his maneuvers. In fact they might warp time in their own little bubble and cut themselves off from the main flow of the universe, and so trap themselves…forever fighting, and never influencing anything else for eternity.

The tie-breaker of course is if one of them can remember the lyrics to [I]Time is on My Side[/I], and can sing a reasonable imitation of Mick Jagger’s voice. A few eons of hearing that, and the other will certainly kill himself just for blessed relief.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2730597]What do Star Trek and toilet paper have in common?[/QUOTE]

For those who are not fans, the answer is quite obvious, though a bit insulting. But of course, this is not the real answer.

The true connection goes back to the production of the series, and an unfortunate mishap on the part of William Shatner who left some toilet paper trailing from his pants. There was no work done that day, as no one would tell him of his predicament, and no one could get through their lines without giggles. And he couldn’t figure out why people were pronouncing his name [B]SHAT[/B]ner all day.

Ooh ooh, i got a few!

How much cafeine is actually too much?

If we used prisoners to make sustainable crop fields in deserts, would we able to save world hunger?

If we made the ISS travel into space, could it orbit the moon and then other planets? Could we make a buch of ISSes to make a sort of bus stops towards Mars?

More answers will have to wait for the morrow, as it is way past bedtime. Never fear, I shall attempt to find answers for Mr. B’s formidable questions then.

How much caffeine is actually too much?

Individuals vary too much on their absorption of caffeine to give hard and fast numbers as a reply, but there are a few indicators that you should look for when nearing your own limits to caffeine intake.

If that incessant staccato drumming you hear isn’t actually the three year old next door trying to tear through the apartment wall, you might want to check your heart rate. And if everyone around you is mysteriously walking and talking in slow motion, while anxiously examining you, you might want to cut back a little.

Well known examples of over-stimulation through caffeine include Miss Eugenia Krebs, who was found simultaneously painting her toenails, typing out the contents of the her Master’s thesis (while not actually being in graduate school), and vacuuming her cat. On the bright side she wound up with one dandy entry to grad school, but her cat left her.

And there is the case of Gerald McRaney, a prolific gamer, who after ingesting 12 Red Bulls in succession went outside for a smoke, and became fascinated with the songs in the night. Turns out he was listening to the echo location signals of the local bat population.

If we used prisoners to make sustainable crop fields in deserts, would we able to save world hunger?

An odd question I have to say. Does anyone really want to save world hunger? Perhaps Mr B means solving the problem of world hunger.

The solution offered does have some merit. Prisoner labor is notoriously cheap. I feel if successful, prison populations might mysteriously rise at an alarming rate however!

The real problem is your choice of location. Since deserts are, by their very nature, short on water, we would be quite limited in our choice of crops. Prickly pear cactus has limited appeal for most as a main course. The little spines are most uncomfortable to chew through.

But of course agave plants might be a better crop. Tequila prices would bottom out and it would be Margarita Time! round the globe. Not quite a solution for world hunger, but we would have a way to drown our sorrows.

If we made the ISS travel into space, could it orbit the moon and then other planets? Could we make a bunch of ISSes to make a sort of bus stops towards Mars?

When I first read this question, I got an image of a red double decker bus traveling through space with a rocket attached to the back. What a wonderful, Pythonesque scene. :slight_smile:

But I’m afraid the ISS lacks the ambiance necessary to make it as a bus station. It simply doesn’t have the seedy aroma of stale urine and general shabbiness associated with bus stations I have encountered. Perhaps European bus stations would make a better example?

Moving the ISS into orbit around the moon, however. That is most certainly possible and might be something we could crowd source. I’m sure the fireworks manufacturers of the world could be persuaded to make us a few thousand giant Roman candles for the transit!

How high is [B]UP. [/B]If you went into space and continued on a straight path, would you ever reach an end, I mean everything has to have an end right? What’s beyond that end.:flower:

I thought Kerry’s use of the movie UP was a clever way to answer a question that doesn’t have an answer. Other than to infinity .

I have another one : Why are old photographs always black & white ?

How high is [B]UP. [/B]If you went into space and continued on a straight path, would you ever reach an end, I mean everything has to have an end right? What’s beyond that end.:flower:

Since I have answered the question of “how high is up” already, I shall focus on your question about ends.

Your basic assumption about everything having an end is demonstrably false to begin with. Examination of most female models (well, caucasian and asian models) shows that they have virtually no end at all.

So, does space have an end? My suspicion is that the universe does indeed have a substantial badonkadonk out there. There is far too much sh*t raining down upon us on a daily basis for there not to be.

I have another one : Why are old photographs always black & white ?

The great Watterson answered this question many years ago in a display of brilliance I can never hope to equal. His answer was, of course, that the world itself was always black and white, up until the 1920’s or so, as it gradually began to develop color. And everything in the world, except photos that captured that earlier time, developed color as well.

I would post an addendum to that marvelous theory however. The silver used in the silver nitrate of photo mediums was initially colorless, and so could not capture anything except shades of grey. Once the “change” hit the world, silver became receptive to color and so our film possessed new qualities. It is only through enormous effort of silver processing that we are able to remove the color and still make black and white film.