Silicon Sata 3114 controller card help!

Hello All, I need help in configuring my pci controller card.

older Dell Dimension 4550
120 gig IDE Drive

adding Silicon Sata 3114 controller card
adding 2 seagate 1 terabyte drives

Upon boot up system hangs when drives are plugged in the card.

If I boot, then plug in the sata drives to the card, the drives are recognized?ALL works as needed.
Goal
I want to boot off the IDE, use this for the op system. Store all our valuable data on #1 sata and back up on sata #2. Raid is not necessary I can use back up software to back up folders required.
I need to get this to follow through the boot sequence.

Note- this is a new load, I have sucessfully loaded all drivers and devices.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.
I have the second primary drive set to auto in bios, it will not reconize the card/harddrives? hardware unknown.

XP sofware
Loaded all service packs, also configured all devices in device manager show that they are working properly.

additional information:
When sata drives are plugged into the controller when booting…
message occurs:
SIL 3144 Sataraid Bios ver 5.0.39 1997-2004
Ctlr +S or F4 for raid utility
0 ST31000528AS

System hangs will not go into any utility for selecting options

When booting with out drives plugged into controler
selecting the options produces
“No device detected”

Continuing will allow the computer to boot up properly device manager shows all devices working properly no yellow warning anywhere.

I have read about updating the controller card bios, this card can not be flashed… I tried the silicon image site information for updating the bios. With the tools provided the windows version hangs and I can’t get throught the dos version. I attempted to use “freedoss” and loaded the silicon *.exe to update bios. I get error code 4 when executing from command line.

Would anyone have an iso of a bootup disk and script that can can automate this process. It could be I just am doing it wrong,

I am just a typical user, so I have to search the web I am not familar with this stuff.

Thanks,

You do realize the Dimension 4550 is a six year old pc eh? I’m not sure it will even work with a 2009 sata controller. Dell, like Compaq, is very picky when some other BIOS tries to run on top of their normal BIOS.

Did you read the FAQ?? Especially this part:

Help! My Computer hangs (no display) during boot after installing the controller card

Silicon Image makes and supports controller chips, not add-in user PCI cards. The maker of your add-in card is responsible for providing support for users trying to install their card.

We do have drivers, BIOS, BIOS installation tools, and tips available for self help atSupport page

If the computer hangs (no display) during booting after installing the controller card only when a drive is attached, it is usually a sign of incompatability between the controller BIOS and the drive firmware. You can often fix this by installing new BIOS for the controller or updating the firmware on the drive. Instructions for BIOS update are at SII-TT-0003.pdf document. Your drive maker will often have firmware updates and installation tools for your drives.

I suggest going into the setup of the bios of the 4550 first, freeing up memory banks that might be used by the silicon sata controller.

Then giving that old bugger the latest bios upgrade.

Reconfigure the setup bios of the 4550 again.

Download the latest bios for DOS. Put it on a bootable formatted floppy disk drive.

After that insert the Sata controller only, no harddisks connected to it. Insert the boot floppy.

Boot in dos. Execute the flash program for the Silicon sata controller.

Yes I realize that the computer is older. For what is being used for this is fine. if I can add the addtional storage It will give us another year or so… pretty good. I bought the sata drives so that I can use them moving forward.

I guess I can always try to run the drives external on the network if this does not work out.

I’ll double check the bios version on the system, However I did go tho dell and downloaded the lates bios executables and executed via windows.(This system loads and reboots) However I do not believe that Ihave done this in Dos… and I have to look into freeing up memory you have mentioned. I’ll have to determine what the latest version is and verify. The card bios is what have give me problems it was not very straight forward.

Thanks

In looking over your dell links I did update the bios using the 3rd option. (hard drive)
verified on system as A08 whic is latest Bios

Still need help with controller card, I think IF I get this updated I have a chance… Not having any luck.

[QUOTE=hobbyaddict1;2479928]Hello All, I need help in configuring my pci controller card.

older Dell Dimension 4550
120 gig IDE Drive

adding Silicon Sata 3114 controller card
adding 2 seagate 1 terabyte drives

Upon boot up system hangs when drives are plugged in the card.

If I boot, then plug in the sata drives to the card, the drives are recognized?ALL works as needed.
Goal
I want to boot off the IDE, use this for the op system. Store all our valuable data on #1 sata and back up on sata #2. Raid is not necessary I can use back up software to back up folders required.
I need to get this to follow through the boot sequence.

Note- this is a new load, I have sucessfully loaded all drivers and devices.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.
I have the second primary drive set to auto in bios, it will not reconize the card/harddrives? hardware unknown.

XP sofware
Loaded all service packs, also configured all devices in device manager show that they are working properly.

[B]additional information:
message occurs:
0 ST31000528AS

System hangs will not go into any utility for selecting options

When booting with out drives plugged into controler
selecting the options produces
"No device detected" [/B]

Continuing will allow the computer to boot up properly device manager shows all devices working properly no yellow warning anywhere.

I have read about updating the controller card bios, this card can not be flashed… I tried the silicon image site information for updating the bios. With the tools provided the windows version hangs and I can’t get throught the dos version. I attempted to use “freedoss” and loaded the silicon *.exe to update bios. I get error code 4 when executing from command line.

Would anyone have an iso of a bootup disk and script that can can automate this process. It could be I just am doing it wrong,

I am just a typical user, so I have to search the web I am not familar with this stuff.

Thanks,[/QUOTE]

Based on your information the problem is SATAII mode Hard Drive hangs the controller during detection.
Solution: change jumper to SATA I mode ( 1.5Gb/s ) in the Hard Drive

http://www.seagate.com/images/support/en/us/cuda_sata_block.gif

Other issue: your raid bios is quite old. Download the latest here: http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=28&cat=15

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=hobbyaddict1;2479928]
(…) Upon boot up system hangs when drives are plugged in the card. [/quote]Let me guess: your system tries to boot from that controller card and hangs since there is no OS?
You may check the boot order in your system Bios, please.

Raid is not necessary I can use back up software to back up folders required.
Perhaps flashing to IDE Bios isn’t a bad idea then - provided your card is flashable.

message occurs:
0 ST31000528AS
There is a newer controller Bios available on Silicon Image website. Perhaps your controller card has a problem with 1TB HDDs. Have you already tried with only one HDD attached? You may also check Seagate support website - if I remember correctly, then Seagate HDDs can be switched to Sata I operation mode by changing a jumper on the drive. Not sure if that is applicable for all Sata HDDs.

I have read about updating the controller card bios, this card can not be flashed… I tried the silicon image site information for updating the bios. With the tools provided the windows version hangs and I can’t get throught the dos version.
Do you see the Flash Bios tab in Device Manager (properties tab of the controller)? Is the part where you can load the Bios file greyd out? Also, there must be a drive attached to the controller. Otherwise you can’t flash the card. Oh, and there are cards that can’t be flashed at all.

I attempted to use “freedoss” and loaded the silicon *.exe to update bios. I get error code 4 when executing from command line.
The error codes are explained in the document that came with updflash. Error 4: “Can not open input file”.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2479932]You do realize the Dimension 4550 is a six year old pc eh?[/quote]Doesn’t matter.

I’m not sure it will even work with a 2009 sata controller.
SiI 3114 and 3112 are rather mature hardware :wink: First Windows drivers (for 3112) were published in 2004. Linux support exists from 2003.

Michael

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2479947]Based on your information the problem is SATAII mode Hard Drive hangs the controller during detection.
Solution: change jumper to SATA I mode ( 1.5Gb/s ) in the Hard Drive

http://www.seagate.com/images/support/en/us/cuda_sata_block.gif

Other issue: your raid bios is quite old. Download the latest here: http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=28&cat=15[/QUOTE]

I already have the jumpers on the segate hard drives for the 1.5 setting. The errors still appear. Yes the bios is old, this is where I am having the problem. I am having trouble getting this updated.

Thanks

“Can not open input file”.
Updating the controller bios is where I am stuck…

What does this mean?
wrong path? bad file?

What do I need to do to make the update successfull?

Hi,[QUOTE=hobbyaddict1;2480050]“Can not open input file”.
Updating the controller bios is where I am stuck…

What does this mean?
wrong path? bad file?[/quote]Yes. Or something wrong with the command you submitted.
Have you tried in Windows environment? You can find the description here: http://www.siliconimage.com/support/faq.aspx#q5 (there is a PDF document linked).

What do I need to do to make the update successfull?
I had to flash my SiI 0680 card in plain DOS. That’s how I did it:

1. [li]Prepared a small USB flash drive with the bootfiles from a Win98SE bootdisc. I have been using HP USB disk storage format tool for that job.
    [/li][li]Added updflash.exe and the controller bios file to the stick.
    [/li][li]After booting from the stick (your computer must support booting from USB devices), I just typed
    [/li]updflash biosfile.bin (replace biosfile.bin by the real file name of the controller bios you want to flash)

That’s all. Oh, and I had a drive connected to the controller.

My SiI 3512 card could be flashed within Windows using the “Flash Bios” tab in device manager.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2480057]Hi,Yes. Or something wrong with the command you submitted.
Have you tried in Windows environment? You can find the description here: http://www.siliconimage.com/support/faq.aspx#q5 (there is a PDF document linked).

I had to flash my SiI 0680 card in plain DOS. That’s how I did it:[ol]
[li]Prepared a small USB flash drive with the bootfiles from a Win98SE bootdisc. I have been using HP USB disk storage format tool for that job.[/li][li]Added updflash.exe and the controller bios file to the stick.[/li][li]After booting from the stick (your computer must support booting from USB devices), I just typed [/li]updflash biosfile.bin (replace biosfile.bin by the real file name of the controller bios you want to flash)
[/ol]That’s all. Oh, and I had a drive connected to the controller.

My SiI 3512 card could be flashed within Windows using the “Flash Bios” tab in device manager.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thanks Michael,

I did try using the windows version however nothing happened. I also tried running it through the dos prompt via windows … The dos command window froze. This is with the drive plugged in to the controller card.

I created a cd with tfreedos and the command in a directory. Perhaps I can try this again moving the file to the same directory as the .exe maybe it had troubles with the path?

Thanks,

-Ed

I tried DOS utility again… WITH UPDFLASH utility on root directory along with update for Bios

when running UPDFLASH

messages received:
This utility is for flash chip used on PC add on card only
continue: >Yes

Use PCI Bios to scan:
Found 1 SI Controller
Found S3114 Controler
SiS 3114 version 2
Can not open B5500

all set… after all that I did it was a simple thing that I was over looking…

Actually quite stupid:doh:

the file name is B5500.BIN NOT B5500

once the correct name was entered I had success updating the bio and the OLD OUTDATED computer booted up fine with 2 NEW fresh 1 terabyte SATA hard drives… With enough room for 2 more :wink:

Thanks for all the input!

:clap:

Glad you got it sorted :slight_smile: Now you have the IDE bios on the card?

cheers,
Michael

Yes… What a pain. I have to play sys admin at home… Now that my younger daughter is on the computer she manages to find every virus out there… Even with the virus subscription she manages to hose the system once and a while.
This time it was beyond me to get it sorted. First time since owning a computer have I had to strip it down and start from scratch due to a virus. Why the additional hard drives? another lesson learned when our external hard drive failed and we lost plenty of photos, fortunatley I was able to save much of our family photos from 2000 to 2009

More web advice… I actually put the hard drive in the freezer which got it working long enough to fill the 120 gig hard drive. Once I turned it off I could never get any more data from it again…

I generally can figure things out via researching the web postings and soliciting advice however it is always foreign and takes me plenty of time. Not to mention that I have limited experience in the first place, and I hate having to maintain our computers, network,etc. but I can’t afford to pay someone to answer every little problem.

Homes nowadays need a sys admin… Multiple computers, wireless network, virus control… file sharing,TV access web, blueray accesses web, stero has bios firmware upgrade yikes… The list goes on, it is getting crazy :wink: The family wants to use the technology but nobody wants to fix it!

What happened to where all we had to do was general maintenance around the house :wink:

Hmmm family home admin might make for a good forum topic :sad:

Thanks to all for the advice, these web sites help us keep our home up and running.

Hi,[QUOTE=hobbyaddict1;2480295]Yes… What a pain. I have to play sys admin at home… Now that my younger daughter is on the computer she manages to find every virus out there… Even with the virus subscription she manages to hose the system once and a while. [/quote]Give all family members only accounts with restricted permissions (and use a restricted account for your own daily work also). Extremely helpful since this is the most powerful line of defense. :smiley:

Cheers,
Michael