Silicon Image Sil3112/Sil3114

Does anyone know what is the difference between the Silicon Image Sil3112 and Sil3114 controller chipsets?

If I remember correctly:
3112 -> 2 ports
3114 -> 4 ports

I probably have a few of each yet. Meanwhile, some mobile phones are to have both LTE-A and 802.11ac in the second half of this year.

I have a Sil3112 card and when I connect any dvd writer (I tested several) it works at Programmed Input/Output mode and not Ultra DMA. I am thinking if this is an issue with the specific card. Meanwhile I found a Sil3114 card I could buy, but I don’t want to come across the same problem.

The SIL cards are hit and miss with optical drives, and a lot depends on the driver and BIOS of the card. IOW, the same card might act differently with different BIOS or driver.

I wouldn’t pay much attention to the displayed I/O mode, instead go by its actual performance. Is there an actual issue with your current card and the optical drive? By that I mean does it work as expected and produce normal speeds?

Windows usually shows such controllers as IDE channels and might just be reporting it wrong.

I have had real success with the Sil680 cards, never a problem with an optical yet. (that’s an IDE optical).:wink:

[QUOTE=CDan;2691275]The SIL cards are hit and miss with optical drives, and a lot depends on the driver and BIOS of the card. IOW, the same card might act differently with different BIOS or driver.

I wouldn’t pay much attention to the displayed I/O mode, instead go by its actual performance. Is there an actual issue with your current card and the optical drive? By that I mean does it work as expected and produce normal speeds?

Windows usually shows such controllers as IDE channels and might just be reporting it wrong.[/QUOTE]

No, it does not work as expected. Transfer rate as tested with discspeed is very slow (burst rate is less than 15MB/s). I don’t usually write at a speed higher than 12x, but still this is an issue to be solved.

As I recall the last time I used a SIL SATA card, it would work OK with only one drive attached. But as soon as I tried 2 drives it would get wonky. I’d suggest you try a card with the Marvel chip, since the SIL cards have more in common than not. SYBA has a number of cards using the Marvel chip.

I could only find a card with a JMicron chipset and this seems to be working fine. The only issue that I have is that any optical drive connected to the card is detected as removable. I am using the latest windows drivers. The card’s bios does not seem to be the latest as the are more recent ones on JMicron website, but I did not attempt to update it. Is anyone having this issue?

I don’t know if there’s a way (or a need) to turn off SATA hot-swapping capability. It shouldn’t be a problem. Some drivers simply force it to be available, rather than trying to detect on-the-fly whether it should be allowed or not. I believe I even had that happen to me when using an ATI south bridge with a SiI-sourced SATA controller, using both ATI & SiI-branded drivers. I never managed to accidentally eject my hard drives with those drivers, either. :bigsmile: