Silicon Image EIDE Card and UDMA Mode vs Multi-word

vbimport

Greetings.

I currently have a Plextor PX-708A and a PX-W4012A. I had both of these drives connected to the secondary IDE channel of my NForce2 board (using the Microsoft IDE driver) and they were both working happily in Ultra DMA mode.

I have since acquired a Silicon Imaged Si0680 based EIDE card and attached each of the writers to this card, one per channel, each as a master. The card is interfacing with them on Multi-word DMA Mode 2.

Why won’t it work on UDMA2? Both the drives and the card support it!

I am using the appropriate 80 pin 18-inch IDE cables for the interfacing, and the drives are the only things on their IDE channels on the EIDE card.

I can’t find any detail on that card right now, but do you know for sure it’s capable of handling ATAPI devices? This is a known problem with PCI IDE cards.

MultiWord DMA should be fast enough for your optical drives btw…

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]I can’t find any detail on that card right now, but do you know for sure it’s capable of handling ATAPI devices? This is a known problem with PCI IDE cards.

MultiWord DMA should be fast enough for your optical drives btw… [/B]

This is the card I have. It certainly handles ATAPI devices as shown in the specifications.

Also I just noticed that all of a sudden, my writers are being detected as SCSI devices. For example, the Windows device manger says “PLEXTOR DVDR PX-708A SCSI CdRom Device” .

I don’t think that this is correct because these are in fact IDE drives.

What happens if you enforce UDMA?
//Danne

Im not sure if this is still true, but wasn’t a CDRom device on an extrenal ATA controller a good idea?

I have the same card (works fine and performs RAID and it was cheap when ATA 133 was still relatively new)…only HD’s on it…CD’s are connected to the Motherboard.

Originally posted by DiiZzY
What happens if you enforce UDMA?
//Danne

You can’t. There’s no option for selecting the data transfer mode. It just shows you what the hardware selected.