SiI3114 PCI to SATA

vbimport

Hi,

I have a problem regarding the Silicon Image SiI3114 PCI tp SATA controller.
I have the base bios installed which is 5.4.3 and driver 1.3.10. I have to question for help please:

When the computer tries to boot up it telling me “Disk boot failure” and the windows does not boot up. The only way for windows to boot up is to put the Windows cd in the Cd-Rom. From my knowledge this problem is happenning because the pc is trying to boot from the cdrom even if the 1st booting device sequence in my bios there is the Harddisk. If I disconnect the cdrom that is connected to the SiI3114 the pc boots up normally.

The other question is, when I try to change the bios software it gives me a list of flashes to select from. Can you please help me to choose one of them ? or from where can I find which flash from the list that I have to choose from I have ?

thanks
Ronald

Hi,[QUOTE=djronbxs;2465794]
I have a problem regarding the Silicon Image SiI3114 PCI tp SATA controller.(…)

When the computer tries to boot up it telling me “Disk boot failure” and the windows does not boot up. The only way for windows to boot up is to put the Windows cd in the Cd-Rom. From my knowledge this problem is happenning because the pc is trying to boot from the cdrom even if the 1st booting device sequence in my bios there is the Harddisk. If I disconnect the cdrom that is connected to the SiI3114 the pc boots up normally. [/quote]Please check your Bios options. Perhaps the controller has moved itself to the top of the boot priority list. Disabling “Boot from other Devices” (or similar) option might help.

The other question is, when I try to change the bios software it gives me a list of flashes to select from. Can you please help me to choose one of them ? or from where can I find which flash from the list that I have to choose from I have ?
Normally, the flasher identifies the flash automagically. Or have a look onto the chips of your card. There is no other way.

Michael

Hi,

the boot priority are correct ! the boot other device is disabled.

Do I need to give specific commands so that the flasher identifies itself ?

thanks
ronald

[QUOTE=djronbxs;2465822]the boot priority are correct ! the boot other device is disabled.[/quote]Hmmm. Apart from moving the card to another PCI slot, I have no idea what else can be done. :confused:

Do I need to give specific commands so that the flasher identifies itself ?
What flasher are you using? If I remember correctly, then the Windows flasher shows the current flash ROM. If you want to flash under plain DOS, it should also be shown.
As already mentioned, normally you don’t need to specify the type of flash ROM.

Perhaps this article is helpful: http://www.siliconimage.com/support/faq.aspx#q5

Michael

the flasher is updflash the one recommended by silicon image on thier site

Hi,[QUOTE=djronbxs;2465898]the flasher is updflash the one recommended by silicon image on thier site[/QUOTE]Ah, okay. I flashed my 3512 card in Windows.

According to SiI “How to Flash”-document, you only need to specify the bios file you want to flash to your controller card, all other parameters are optional.
Please be aware that updflash only works in a clean DOS environment (you need to boot DOS from a floppy, USB thingy etc) and not in Windows command prompt. Also, a drive must be attached to the controller.

Michael

Hi,

any more help please ?

Just a suggestion:

Some BIOSes needs to be set to boot from “SCSI” as first in boot sequence. Some old motherboards treats IDE/SATA cards as SCSI.

Also, when you installed Windows did you use F6 to install driver from floppy?

Hi,

no I didnt use the F6 to install from floppy since I already have a windows installed on an (non raid) IDE hdd. I only need this pci to work with non ide dvd writers and hdd. Do I need to load the drivers with the F6 ?

Yup, you do if the CD doesn’t have that driver custom slipstreamed into the install.

I have the same PCI Sil3114 card as you and using a retail XP Pro SP1 CD, Windows won’t boot if I don’t use F6 to install the driver during setup.

but im only using dvd writer now. Do I have to do it also ? can you please give me the procedure on how to do it please ? please note that I already have windows installed on an IDE and I want to use this windows installation not making a new installation.

Hi,

if you installed the controller card (some time) after your initial Windows installation, then just forget that “F6-floppy” thing. Make sure you have latest drivers (available from Silicon Image website) installed. If the card is configured as Raid, then get the Raid drivers (and also get the non-Raid version also). If there is still no opportunity to flash the controller within Windows, then your card is not supported. Perhaps there is a tool from the card manufacturer.

As for the boot problem:
Have you already tried the card in different PCI-slots?
You may also try connecting your drive to different ports of the controller card. No idea if this has any effect.

Michael