SiI 3512 - PCI to 2 Port SATA150 Controller - disable RAID menu during boot

vbimport

Does someone know how I can disable this really annoying RAID message which appears immediately after the standard system checks during bootup:

The reason why the above message annoys the hell out of me is because it takes an extra 5-10 seconds to boot up or after a restart. I get the above boot menu message using the Silicon Image RAID driver + bios flash installed.

I’m getting the message since I recently installed a Silicon Image SiI3512 - PCI to 2 Port SATA150 controller card into my really old motherboard to add a sata storage HDD. The thing is I don’t want my new SATA HDD to have raid on it, I’d just prefer to use it as a standard drive.

In windows (XPSP2) I can see the new drive fine so there is no problem there. My Bios doesn’t seem to have any option to enable/disable raid drivers so I can’t solve it that way (it’s a really old mobo, 10 yrs!).

I think the only way to actually stop the message is to ‘tinker’/flash with the card’s own bios. Silicon Image’s support side has both the drivers + bios: http://www.sci-worx.com/support/supportsearchresults.aspx?pid=29&cid=15&ctid=2&osid=0&

I’ve tried also installing the base driver and the base BIOS instead of the RAID versions. Instead of “Press <Ctrl+S> or F4 to enter RAID utility” appearing at boot up, it says something like:

"SATA primary drive 0 not found
Secondary drive 1 not found

Sil 3512 SATARaid BIOS Version 4.3.534
Copyright © 1997-2005 Silicon Image, Inc"

which appears on screen still for 5-10secs.

So evidently, using the base driver/bios still has the message pop up but there is no option to go into a raid setup.

Does this mean it’s unlikely I’ll be able to remove the message entirely?

There are quite a view google results asking the same question but no solution!

You need to flash the card BIOS with a non-RAID bios version to be rid of this message. Whether your card can be flashed depends on the card and what flash memory it has.

If it says “SATARAID” during boot up, then you do not have the non-RAID BIOS. It will say something like “SATALink” with the non-RAID version.

The download package from SIL has a read me file that explains the requirements for flashing BIOS, and which memory chips can and cannot be flashed.

In general, I think people seem to have better luck with the 3114 based cards than the 3512, but there are a number of threads around here on both cards.

[quote=CDan;2126561]
If it says “SATARAID” during boot up, then you do not have the non-RAID BIOS. It will say something like “SATALink” with the non-RAID version. [/quote]exactly :iagree: :slight_smile:

In general, I think people seem to have better luck with the 3114 based cards than the 3512, but there are a number of threads around here on both cards.
No problem with my 3512 card here (have a SH-S203B connected there). Provided, latest drivers are installed, the non-Raid (“Base”) Bios can be loaded via the SiI applet in Control Panel or Device Manager.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2126630]exactly :iagree: :slight_smile:
No problem with my 3512 card here (have a SH-S203B connected there). Provided, latest drivers are installed, the non-Raid (“Base”) Bios can be loaded via the SiI applet in Control Panel or Device Manager.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Here, the BIOS flashing applet in Windows did not appear until AFTER the IDE BIOS and driver were flashed. That is with my 3114 card. Might have just been a driver version thing. But either way, the card needs a flash-compatible memory chip.

Hi guys, as stated in my original post I have already tried installing the latest Bios+driver versions.

The properties of the satalink in device manager states:
Bios information: 4.3.84 (Date:01-19-2007)
Driver version: 1.3.68.2 (13/04/2007).

I should say the following information I provided in my original post is incorrect:

"SATA primary drive 0 not found
Secondary drive 1 not found

Sil 3512 SATARaid BIOS Version 4.3.534
Copyright © 1997-2005 Silicon Image, Inc"

With the satalink driver installed+bios flashed, the boot screen actually reads:

“Sil 3512 SATAlink BIOS Version 4.3.534
Copyright © 1997-2005 Silicon Image, Inc”

This, therefore, shows the bios recognises the change from SATAraid to SATAlink. The sata HDD seems to work perfectly in Windows.

But the aim really of the thread is to ask whether it is at all possible to remove this boot screen info entirely as it still takes 5-10secs for it to disappear making my boot time even longer. As soon as I start my PC I get the bios screen recognising my video card for a few seconds, then it switches to my pc manufacturer bios screen during the ram and other system checks and then it goes to the Satalink bios screen for another 10secs.

So basically is there a way to shut off this Satalink screen that appears during the bios boot? Do you guys get the same Sata screen as me?

Thanks for your help!

[QUOTE=Clowny;2126830]
So basically is there a way to shut off this Satalink screen that appears during the bios boot? Do you guys get the same Sata screen as me?

Thanks for your help![/QUOTE]

No way. Have you tried enabling “silent boot” in your MB BIOS? It might not speed things up any, but it’s worth a try. Any PCI controller card will have a similar recognition step at boot time. How long it takes is up to your MB, not the card.

Ah I see, so that Satalink boot screen is supposed to appear then :(.

Yes I have the silent boot mode setup in the bios. When the PCI controller card is not installed the time to boot up is manageable, it’s just when I add the PCI card that I have to wait an extra 10secs which is slightly annoying. I guess the fact that the motherboard is almost 10yrs old might explain the slightly extended boot time then ;).

I take it then everyone else has the Satalink boot screen too, just mine is slightly slower?
Thanks.

Hi,[quote=CDan;2126799]Here, the BIOS flashing applet in Windows did not appear until AFTER the IDE BIOS and driver were flashed. That is with my 3114 card. Might have just been a driver version thing.[/quote]Possibly. I installed the latest Raid drivers before I flashed to Base Bios.

But either way, the card needs a flash-compatible memory chip.
That’s correct.
European users might have a look at Delock branded cards. Both, my 680and my 3512are from that company and both could be easily flashed from Raid to non-Raid Bios (the 680 needed to be flashed under plain DOS).

Michael