Signs of a dying dvd-rom

vbimport

It doesn’t matter what i put in it, the light keeps flashing (it’s trying to read the dics) untill i get the “insert dics into drive…” message. Sometimes after opening and closing the tray several times it can read the disc like it is supposed to.

Also if i clean the lens, it can read the first disc i insert immediatly after the cleaning. But with the second one the problem start’s again.

The DVD-rom is a Liteon LTD163D, about 10 months old. I also tried different firmwares (old and new) but no difference. Is it time to start looking for a new drive?.

Thanks Robert:confused:

Robert,
After reading what you’ve done to overcome the said
problem without avail, i suggest that you return the Drive to the
place to bought it and have it looked at. Being lest that 1 year old
you may find that it’s still under warantee. Good luck.

Ivanhoe…

The TRUTH is a LIE waiting to be told.

I wish it was that easy. The thing is, i am not from/in the US, so my warranty expired the minute i walked out the door of the shop 10 months ago.

Originally posted by De Joker
I wish it was that easy. The thing is, i am not from/in the US, so my warranty expired the minute i walked out the door of the shop 10 months ago.

This sounds very strange to me… no warranty?

It could be the lens that’s filthy. By cleaning it (use a cotton stick with distilled water) your problems could be over.

I hope it is a dirty lens, but i doubt it because i never had to clean a lens before. I always check the cd/dvd before inserting them into the player, and if they are dirty i wipe them clean.

In my country the word warranty is almost like a forbidden word, some of the stores only give 1 to 6 months warranty and most of them give nothing.

Yesterday i tried a few things again, and i think that when the cd/dvd is not recognised it’s not spinning because i don’t hear anything and the light just keeps on flashing. When it is recognised i can clearly hear like it is spinning.

Also this problem started shortly after (could be coincedental) i flashed the drive with the new GHR7 (region free) firmware. I already flashed back to GHR3 and GHR6 but no change.

Robert

Originally posted by De Joker
I hope it is a dirty lens, but i doubt it because i never had to clean a lens before. I always check the cd/dvd before inserting them into the player, and if they are dirty i wipe them clean.

Please notica, that not only filthy discs are the cause of a filthy lens. Many cases are nowaday equipped with casefans. These casefans often suck air out through the back of a case. Unless you live in a dust-free house, air (accompanied with dust) will be sucked into the case and will end up in optical drives as well.
How much dust wil end up in the drive depens on how your drive is built. If the back of the entire drive is shut tight, hardly any dust will come in. Other drives even have a little fan of their own, creating loads of dust inside the drive.

I’ve had problems with dust in my Plexwriter. All the dust was sucket in through the drive, by its own fan, and my casefans.

I don’t know how the LiteOn drive is built, but I know for sure that it can be the cause of a filthy lens.

Another cause may be that your lens is (slightly) decalibrated. This is a more serious problem…

I understand that there are more ways the lens can get dirty, but the liteons are completly closed and my case is not that dusty because i regularly clean it.

Also when i clean the lens with a dry lens cleaner the cd i insert after that is sometimes detected, and the one after that is not detected anymore. That would mean that the lens got dirty again after just one read.

Like you said i think the problem is more serious, think i will start looking for a new drive.

Thanks, Robert

I definetly think now that it’s a hardware problem because after not having used the pc for 2 days it read the first 3 cd’s i inserted. With the fourth one the problem was back.

Think i will buy the LTD166S, still have to read some reviews.

Thanks for all the tips, Robert

BTW, i just discoverd that i probably posted this in the wrong forum, because there’s also a “dvd hardware forum” :slight_smile:

Take it back you have the right to get a drive that works for your money. If they say they wont take it back start talking louder so everyone in the shop knows that they sell shotty equipment and wont exchange it. They should change it for you then then :wink:

Also the warranty is not given by the shop so tell them to exchange it, lite-on gives the warranty not them.