Sign of a failing burner?

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-215DBK. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I recently started having problems burning DL media with my Pioneer DVR-215D flashed to a DVR-215. I tried burning a couple of images using IMGBurn, but at generally different times of the burn, the timer changes to unknown, and I can see the drive is no longer writing (the light on the front of the drive is off). Now I tried burning the same images with my LG GGC-H20L and had no problems @ 2.4x. I tried to burng with the Pioneer at 4x and 6x, which I’ve always done and never had any issues. The media I am using is Verbatim 2.4x DL+R media that are Made in Singapore. I saw that Pioneer released firmware 1.22 (was on 1.18), so I updated to that, but I doubt that’ll fix it. Anyways, do you guys think the drive is failing on me? If so, I’ll just go out and replace it with a 216, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks.

Anyone?

The key is how the drives are set up and the settings of the SATA controller.

The SATA controller is set to AHCI mode, no (major) changes to the hardware in close to a year probably. Using an Intel X38 based motherboard with the ICH9R chipset if I’m not mistaken.
One thing to note, the drive seems to have no problems with SL media, I’ve tried 16x DVD-R and 6x DVD-RW so far w/o issue.

Odd, I just wrote a DL disc w/o issue at 6x… I wonder if the firmware flash fixed the issue, or if I just had some bad verbatims?