SHW-1635S has difficulty recognizing DL Discss

Hello,
I am having problems with my Lite-On SHW-1635S recognizing DVD Dual-Layer data discs. I have not always had these problems. The drive worked fine until a couple of months ago. Now when I insert a DL data disc, the drive does not recognize it on the first attempt. The drive stays closed, and I can hear it making sounds (trying to work). I end up needing to eject the disc, reposition it, and try to insert it again. Eventually the disc finally works, and the drive finds the data on the DL disc, but sometimes I have to eject and reposition the disc 5 or 10 times before it finally works. I am using Sony discs. I have cleaned the lens on my drive. This problem only occurs with DVD-DL discs. DVD+R and CD-r/RW all work fine. I have DMA turned on.

I found the firmware (DR16YS0Z - YS0Z.exe) on Liteon’s website, and it gives this error message:

“No matched drive detected!
This utility is only for Lite-On DVDRW SHW-1635S drive.
Detected drives:
3-0-0-0 E:LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-1635S YGS4”

I looked up the firmware at the CodeGuys website, but they do not have YGS4. I downloaded the OmniPatcher, but I am afraid to use it because I don’t really know what I am doing, and I do not want to ruin my drive. Maybe someone can point me to a step by step guide/forum post for what I need to do. I am experiencing information overflow, and I am not sure who’s advice to take. I uninstalled the drivers for the drive, and widows detected it and reinstalled it, but the problem still remains.

My computer is an eMachine W3107 (Gateway), it uses the nForce nVidia chipset stuff. I’m on Windows XP. If you need more information, please ask.

Thanks for any help.

Jeremy

Itwont update to YS0Z because you have a non-liteon firmware (YGS4) installed. You need to find the codeguys YS0G and use that not the one off of the liteon site.

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;1954215]Itwont update to YS0Z because you have a non-liteon firmware (YGS4) installed. You need to find the codeguys YS0G and use that not the one off of the liteon site.[/QUOTE]

I used YS0G from the codeguys site, then I checked a DL disc with no luck. But then I was able to finally update to YS0Z, but my drive is still having the same difficulties reading my DL discs. Any new ideas that I should consider?

Welcome to CDF. :slight_smile:

[U][B]Short version:[/B][/U]
Buy Verbatim media and test. If it works, trash the Sony media. If not, replace the drive.

[U][B]Long version:[/B][/U]
Although I would normally be all for using Sony media, their DL media can be suspect. The reasoning is that their DL is often made by Ritek [made in Taiwan], and many drives have problems burning it. I would believe that the Ritek media is equally hard to read/detect for some drives.

If it’s only with media that HASN’T been burned, go for Verbatim DL media. Only go for a 3 pack or 5 pack, so you can test. If the drive easily recognizes the media, then you have nothing to worry about, and you’ll just have to continue using Verbatim DL media [which is highly recommended].

If it’s with media that HAS been burned, it may still be similar to the problem above. If you test with Verbatim media, burn it, and it reads easily after being burned, it is the Ritek-made Sony media.

If it is with DVD movies bought in-store as well, then it may just be that your drive isn’t too keen on DL discs. Not much remedy for this.

FWIW, Verbatim also makes some of Sony’s DL media [made in Singapore], but there isn’t much of that left. It’s much easier to just buy the Verbatim brand and not worry.

Also FWIW, OmniPatcher doesn’t work with these drives. So don’t even worry about fooling with it. :flower:

[QUOTE=wallace0134;1955377]Welcome to CDF. :slight_smile:

[U][B]Short version:[/B][/U]
Buy Verbatim media and test. If it works, trash the Sony media. If not, replace the drive.

[U][B]Long version:[/B][/U]
Although I would normally be all for using Sony media, their DL media can be suspect. The reasoning is that their DL is often made by Ritek [made in Taiwan], and many drives have problems burning it. I would believe that the Ritek media is equally hard to read/detect for some drives.

If it’s only with media that HASN’T been burned, go for Verbatim DL media. Only go for a 3 pack or 5 pack, so you can test. If the drive easily recognizes the media, then you have nothing to worry about, and you’ll just have to continue using Verbatim DL media [which is highly recommended].

If it’s with media that HAS been burned, it may still be similar to the problem above. If you test with Verbatim media, burn it, and it reads easily after being burned, it is the Ritek-made Sony media.

If it is with DVD movies bought in-store as well, then it may just be that your drive isn’t too keen on DL discs. Not much remedy for this.

FWIW, Verbatim also makes some of Sony’s DL media [made in Singapore], but there isn’t much of that left. It’s much easier to just buy the Verbatim brand and not worry.

Also FWIW, OmniPatcher doesn’t work with these drives. So don’t even worry about fooling with it. :flower:[/QUOTE]
I scaned my Sony DL discs with that Nero Info tool, and you are right, they are manufactured by Ritek. I am very happy to try your logical suggestion. I am interested in switching my DL media to Verbatim anyway. If I had used half a brain cell, I would have bought Verbatim instead of Sony in the first place, because I already have been having great experiences with Verbatim CD-R media. I switched to Verbatim CD-R media about a year ago, and so far I have never had a coaster that was not my own fault. The next chance I get I’ll go find a small pack of Verbatim DL discs and see how it goes. I’ll post how it goes, but I may have to wait until this weekend. The only stores I have found which carry Verbatim (in my town) is Sam’s Club, and it is on the other side of town. Verbatim is a great product, and should be in all stores. Woe is me.

I’ll quit rambling now, and thanks very much for your suggestions.

Jeremy