Shut down issues

Any body know what causes a PC to just shut down? On occasion, while making a back up, my machine just shuts off (happens during encoding).
When I turn it back on, there’s no error message or anything that indicates this even happened…

overheating could cause it if it’s happening when it’s under hard use?

Have a quick check to see if the fans are clogged with dust.

[QUOTE=DaneR;2289485]overheating could cause it if it’s happening when it’s under hard use?

Have a quick check to see if the fans are clogged with dust.[/QUOTE]

All fans are good…Inside is dust free…No multi-tasking ever when burning…It seems to happen at random, and when I retry I get a complete successful burn. Only noticed when burning DVD; made a music CD just to see if ti mattered and no problems.

Have a look if there are any program issues in the Dr watson log thingy

Run - DRWTSN32.EXE

Someone will be along soon who can be more help but it’s a start…

I would suspect the power supply is at fault for random shutdowns if cooling is ok.

It worth a mention though that this happened to me last year and the power supply died not long after. Whether it was the power supply causing it or it killed the PSU I’m not certain but I replaced the PSU and it’s been fine since.
That’s a last resort though, find the cheap option first… :wink:

[QUOTE=DaneR;2289508]Have a look if there are any program issues in the Dr watson log thingy

Run - DRWTSN32.EXE

Someone will be along soon who can be more help but it’s a start…[/QUOTE]

Dr. Watson not showing any errors. It just doesn’t figure…
I really appreciate your help, DaneR. I too thought it might be over heating, so I had already checked the fans. Your suggestion let me know I was on the right track. What else ya got?

[QUOTE=DaneR;2289511]It worth a mention though that this happened to me last year and the power supply died not long after. Whether it was the power supply causing it or it killed the PSU I’m not certain but I replaced the PSU and it’s been fine since.
That’s a last resort though, find the cheap option first… ;)[/QUOTE]

Good thought. You could be onto something there, though my power supply has only recently been replaced (January). I’m told sometimes dust gets inside the unit and may cause simular problems. Would love to look inside, but here’s a seal - I assume for warranty purposes. Willing to bet there’s a dust mite or two in there!

[QUOTE=baggman;2289500]All fans are good…Inside is dust free…No multi-tasking ever when burning…It seems to happen at random, and when I retry I get a complete successful burn. Only noticed when burning DVD; [B]made a music CD just to see if ti mattered and no problems[/B].[/QUOTE]

You need to [B]monitor[/B] the temps, not just assume because the fans are clean, that it’s not over heating. Burning a music CD is no big deal deal, it doesn’t stress the CPU.

(happens during encoding).

[B]That[/B] stresses the CPU, generating heat.

With multi-core cpu’s you also have to watch your [B]core[/B] temps. With my AMD X2 the normal cpu sensor temp barely rises when encoding, but the actual core temps rise dramatically.

You could try this little app, leave it open while encoding and make sure it’s not temp related.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2289595]You need to [B]monitor[/B] the temps, not just assume because the fans are clean, that it’s not over heating. Burning a music CD is no big deal deal, it doesn’t stress the CPU.

With multi-core cpu’s you also have to watch your [B]core[/B] temps. With my AMD X2 the normal cpu sensor temp barely rises when encoding, but the actual core temps rise dramatically.

You could try this little app, leave it open while encoding and make sure it’s not temp related.

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php[/QUOTE]

Thanks for popping in - I’ll try the app, and get back to you. By the way, is it possible for the movie itself to have something to make this happen? I realized that this is happening with the same movie; so I tried a different one and had no problem. Just a thought - 'cause I honestly don’t know what to suspect this may be :confused:

Check out the event viewer entries…

[QUOTE=brokenbuga;2289509]I would suspect the power supply is at fault for random shutdowns if cooling is ok.[/QUOTE]

I second this but first go to the computer shop and get a new CMOS Battery. This was happening to me and crazy as it sounds the CMOS was bad. 3.00 USD is better than 100 or 200 usd.

[QUOTE=chef;2289806]Check out the event viewer entries…[/QUOTE]

Sorry, had to go to work…
What should I be looking for in the event viewer issues? There are a few listed.

[QUOTE=Dr. Who;2289843]I second this but first go to the computer shop and get a new CMOS Battery. This was happening to me and crazy as it sounds the CMOS was bad. 3.00 USD is better than 100 or 200 usd.[/QUOTE]

You’ve GOT to be kidding! A CMOS Battery! Well, OK, but I thought those things out-lasted that pink bunny with the big drum. Happy to give it a try.

Have also been advise to check thermal compound between heat sink fan and CPU

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2289595]You need to [B]monitor[/B] the temps, not just assume because the fans are clean, that it’s not over heating. Burning a music CD is no big deal deal, it doesn’t stress the CPU.

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php[/QUOTE]

Went to link and downloaded app…tried to open/install…unsuccessful…

[QUOTE=baggman;2290239]You’ve GOT to be kidding! A CMOS Battery! Well, OK, but I thought those things out-lasted that pink bunny with the big drum. Happy to give it a try.[/QUOTE]

Yes it could be , but that usually only creates a problem when rebooting.
You tried a second disc with no problems,did you try a 3 rd? Did you try them 1 after the other.

My bet would be on the PSU ,even if it’s clean it may be going out, or if it is a standard PSU that came with the case it just might not be good enough.

[QUOTE=baggman;2290239]You’ve GOT to be kidding! A CMOS Battery! Well, OK, but I thought those things out-lasted that pink bunny with the big drum. Happy to give it a try.[/QUOTE]

I had my mobo less than a year and I was getting no boots or reboots and this remedied my situation so with it only being 3 bucks it’s a good ideal to do it. Yes this is abnormal to happen as state these things out last most other parts.

[QUOTE=baggman;2290242]Have also been advise to check thermal compound between heat sink fan and CPU[/QUOTE]

This is another cheap possibility.

[QUOTE=baggman;2289695]Thanks for popping in - I’ll try the app, and get back to you. By the way, is it possible for the movie itself to have something to make this happen? [B]I realized that this is happening with the same movie; so I tried a different one and had no problem. [/B]Just a thought - 'cause I honestly don’t know what to suspect this may be :confused:[/QUOTE]
If it’s just one file, forget about it and move on.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2290649]If it’s just one file, forget about it and move on.[/QUOTE]

This is how bigger problems start with 1 file, 1 dvd, 1 this or that.

This 1 file may have problems that the cpu has to do a deep analysis on,which in turn pulls more power from the psu.Could be the start of bigger problems down a very short road.