Shrink Prob

vbimport

All of a sudden Dvd Shrink is giving me a message that he disk is too big make sure it is in Automatic compressiob(it always has been), then won’t finish the program, froze with 3 secondsto go, vever had this happen before?

How much compression are you having to use to fit a single layer dvd?

Is this movie one that has advanced protection on it, and if so, what have you used to decrypt it?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2614563]How much compression are you having to use to fit a single layer dvd?

Is this movie one that has advanced protection on it, and if so, what have you used to decrypt it?[/QUOTE]
Kerry, thanks for the reply, I have always had it on Automatic i.e. 94.1%, changed to costum, went to 100%, tried shrinking with AnyDvd in the background, then just put it on the HD wiyh AnyDvd, tried different movies nothing works,

This is almost always a decryption or file corruption problem .
EDIT : Since you have a rip with AnyDVD on the hdd . Will that compress with DVDShrink ?
If you are using all freeware for the process .
First try a rip with DVDFab free.
If that won’t work.

Try DVDFab Passkey lite with ImgBurn .
Open the ISO in DVDShrink & try that.

If that fails mount the iso in Virtual Clone Drive & try DVDShrink with that.

Have you tried uninstalling DVDShrink and reinstalling? You may have the program screwed up/corrupted in some manner.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2614572]Have you tried uninstalling DVDShrink and reinstalling? You may have the program screwed up/corrupted in some manner.[/QUOTE] I have Kerry, but I’m going to uninstall again, will let you know, thanks

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2614576]I have Kerry, but I’m going to uninstall again, will let you know, thanks[/QUOTE]

No Change, annoying!

I don’t know what to tell you durkinjt. Maybe remove any registry entries for Shrink after uninstalling, then reinstall.

Are you having problems with any other programs? Have you tried a different transcoder? Rejig is a free one, if you don’t have one of the commercial programs like DVDFab, or CloneDVD 2.

Or you might try one of the new programs that have been added to the Copy Movie forum: Ideal Software and the Magic DVD programs.

In any case, try one of the others and see if it fails as well. There may be something strange in the dvd disk, or something corrupted in the decrypted files you are working from. You never did say what you were using for decryption.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2614872]I don’t know what to tell you durkinjt. Maybe remove any registry entries for Shrink after uninstalling, then reinstall.

Are you having problems with any other programs? Have you tried a different transcoder? Rejig is a free one, if you don’t have one of the commercial programs like DVDFab, or CloneDVD 2.

Or you might try one of the new programs that have been added to the Copy Movie forum: Ideal Software and the Magic DVD programs.

In any case, try one of the others and see if it fails as well. There may be something strange in the dvd disk, or something corrupted in the decrypted files you are working from. You never did say what you were using for decryption.[/QUOTE]
Kerry, have 3 others Fab, Clone and the new Ideal, all seem fine??

Hi Kerry he did say AnyDVD in post #3 . Also says has tried different movies.

@ durkinjt , Try running “Analysis” from the “Analysis” button even if DVDShrink did that when you opened the folder.

Ok, I read post 3, but neglected to reread it before my last post. If its happening with different movies, and after decryption with AnyDVD, it sounds like it is contained entirely in DVDShrink. Especially since other transcoders are working correctly for you.

But there aren’t many good options to correct this. Running Analysis manually is something of a long shot, as is removing registry entries.

Which operating system are you using? If you are using Win7 you might try changing compatibility mode for Shrink to XP SP3. And/or run as administrator. Neither of these are required for me on Win7 but something to try.

What manually running Analisis does is readjusts the Automatic size for the video you are working with… Give it a try.
This is not the Deep Analysis in the Backup Quality Settings .
I usually leave that unchecked.

Analysis is the same function whether you run it manually from the selection at the top of the window in Shrink or from the Quality Settings tab once you hit Backup. (run your cursor over the Analysis icon and you’ll see it says Deep Analysis).

Analysis examines the movie frame by frame to determine where compression can be applied most effectively without adversely affecting the visual quality. This works up to a point. Shrink will try to apply compression to B frames first, but if the compression is beyond what can be obtained working solely with B frames, it will move on to I and P frames, which leads to more severe artifacts showing up in the video. Without running Analysis first, Shrink has to determine the correct frames to compress on the fly. This is why you should always run Analysis (from either spot) when using Shrink.

It does have an effect on the way Shrink operates, so there is a possibility that it will help in durkinjt’s problem, but I still think it is a long shot and there is something gone wrong in the way the program is set up within the operating system.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2614906]Analysis is the same function whether you run it manually from the selection at the top of the window in Shrink or from the Quality Settings tab once you hit Backup. (run your cursor over the Analysis icon and you’ll see it says Deep Analysis).

Analysis examines the movie frame by frame to determine where compression can be applied most effectively without adversely affecting the visual quality. This works up to a point. Shrink will try to apply compression to B frames first, but if the compression is beyond what can be obtained working solely with B frames, it will move on to I and P frames, which leads to more severe artifacts showing up in the video. Without running Analysis first, Shrink has to determine the correct frames to compress on the fly. This is why you should always run Analysis (from either spot) when using Shrink.

It does have an effect on the way Shrink operates, so there is a possibility that it will help in durkinjt’s problem, but I still think it is a long shot and there is something gone wrong in the way the program is set up within the operating system.[/QUOTE]
Kerry, I agree I tried the Analysis thing to no avail, nothing seems to help, might try a restore, hate to do it just for Shrink only, but I really use the program a lot.

Going back to a restore point may help. If you know when the problems started, you can just go back prior to that time.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2614937]Going back to a restore point may help. If you know when the problems started, you can just go back prior to that time.[/QUOTE] I have just found out that when I use AnyDvd to put a movie on the hard drive it won’t work with Fab, but will with Ideal ,WTF? Restoring is sounding better, something screwed this up, the last program I downloaded was Nero 11, think it might pay to un-install it?

AnyDVD and DVDFab don’t play well together. That’s been true a long time now. Though I may be misinterpreting what you are doing. If you’ve ripped the whole movie with AnyDVD before trying to compress with Fab, then something is screwy. (can’t leave AnyDVD running of course)

I doubt you need AnyDVD with the Ideal software either.

Before you get rid of Nero 11, try Nero Recode for compression. Rumor has it that Dr. Shrink went to work for Nero years ago and helped develop Recode for Nero. Its compression abilities should be similar.