In case anyone hasn't been following developments, a new version of SHOWTIME for PS3's was released a few weeks ago:
Download Version 3.0.0 @ github - here.
Note that you require a PS3 with CFW to install it.
I've tested this on a phat PS3 with 3.55 KMEAW.
Note that the new version can play MKV's from an UPNP media server ... WITHOUT TRANSCODING.
I've tested with a few different files so far:
- SD MKV's work fine.
- 720p MKV's works fine.
- 1080p MKV's upto profile 4.1 work fine.
- DTS (5.1) seems to work fine
- AC3 (5.1) works fine
Limitations I've noted so far:
- Cannot play files from disc.
- Cannot play files via Samba networking.
- Cannot play files with H264 encoding higher than profile 4.1 (apparently 4.2 also works) so anything encoded at profiles 5.0/5.1 won't work at this point.
- Pausing for too long (more than a few minutes) causes A/V synch issues, and video playback becomes choppy - eventually Showtime complains that the Processor has insufficient processing power to decode the file.
- After accessing the menu a few times, all the symbols for the playback menu disappear - they still work though, if you can remember what they are.
Tested with DNS-323 / 2TB 5400RPM HDD + Gigabit Ethernet Link.
Note that Showtime does not provide DVD/BD playback inside the program, but the base PS3 plays these without showtime regardless. Similarly, divx on USB/CD/DVD/BD works from the default PS3 cross media bar also.
At this point, MKV playback from DVDR/W & BDR/E is missing, along with a few minor bugs.