Should you be able to do anything you want to yourself?

I was reading some article on slashdot and found this quote

I realise this is off-topic, but I feel the need to vent anyway. I have never understood why it is illegal to do harm to yourself. After all, you own your body, is it as least once thing that isn’t licensed to you (Does God have a EULA?), and so why shouldn’t we be allowed to do whatever we want to it?

The only arguments I can think of are:
Intentional damage to yourself will cost the state money when you check yourself into a hospital. This applies in countries like mine, the UK, but not the USA, where healthcare is not funded by the government. Even in the UK, I wonder how hard it would be to limit the free healthcare to those who did not cause intentional damage to themselves. (It would also be very handy to lump smokers into this category.)

The other argument I can think of is
Being under the influence of drugs may prompt you to cause harm to others. This, surely, can be solved in neater ways than banning drugs outright. Ban them in public places, but allow them at home.

I don’t take drugs, I don’t even smoke, but banning them does seem unfair.

So … time for (another) poll :bigsmile:

Absolutely. Who decides what is too bad for you? I’m willing to bet that poor eating habits kill more people than using drugs. Why not ban ham? Or not exercising? The government could institute a mandatory exercise program; thirty minutes a day. Sound like any Orwell novels we’ve read recently?

I’m not used to freedom yet so I voted No.

I think the governments of the world should set up “do anything to yourself” zones where people can set themselves alight, and you get NO help from the other people.

If you are dumb enough to set yourself on fire, stick your arms in a mincing machine, eat poison fish, try to hang yourself, etc, I don’t see why other people should have to pay for your stupidity so you can go to hospital, take up up oodles of time and money, and raise everyones taxes higher.

Accidents happen, hospital are for those. not stupidity.
Kids and stupidity go hand in hand, but those that reach puberty should be able to look after them anyway, cos everyones done was a kid and had no sense of danger once.

It’s people that know better and do it anyway that deserve to be ignored.

Methinks that a little kindness is good :slight_smile:
The guards should have loaded guns to put people out of their misery after they have done any major damage :slight_smile:

Indeed. I’m tired of asking other people to buy my beer (and other bevs) :smiley:

I voted Yes.

Mr. Belvedere how do you spell impos(s)ible?? :confused: :wink:

I dunno… ofcourse, it’s your own body and life you are dealing with.

What bothers me, is the fact if people that want to harm themselves, are perhaps mentally ill and perhaps could be happy when they’d get the appropriate help and guidance. Somehow, I can’t accept somebody would want to cut off his arms, 'cause he feels like it. It may be my love of perfection (yeah I know, perferction doesn’t excist) that give me a strong and bad feeling about things like this, but I really think that some kind of protection isn’t bad. I’m not saying everybody should be monitored by the way…

Though issue, could talk about it for hours (but I don’t want to, I’m on a dun now and that is pretty expensive ;))

Originally posted by Kenshin
I’m not used to freedom yet so I voted No.

Kenshin, you just taught all members a valuable lesson! :bow: :bow:

There is more in live then the issue: will the new CloneCD, BlindWrite or Alcohol120% be able to copy SD3.10, SecuROM 4.85, StarForce 3 or Tagès?

Some members just don’t know how lucky they are!!

Didn’y anyone read “Lord of the Flies”. We will always need rules because of the few that ruin it for the majority.

As for the other comment, #1 killer in USA – HEART DISEASE

Too many fat farts eating too much crap. Not DRUGS, but food killing people.

Originally posted by Namoh
[B]I voted Yes.

Mr. Belvedere how do you spell impos(s)ible?? :confused: :wink: [/B]

im·pos·si·ble
adj.
Incapable of having existence or of occurring.
Not capable of being accomplished: an impossible goal.
Unacceptable; intolerable: impossible behavior.
Extremely difficult to deal with or tolerate: an impossible child; an impossible situation.

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
Somehow, I can’t accept somebody would want to cut off his arms, 'cause he feels like it.

There is actually a disease/malfunction/disorder/curiousity that people are far more happier without a limb or two than with them.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
There is actually a disease/malfunction/disorder/curiousity that people are far more happier without a limb or two than with them.

Yes, I know… I recently saw it on the Discovery channel. My sister (student in psychology) is studying this disease… still it feels very uncomfortable to me…:rolleyes:

I understand all of the arguements used here. But aren’t we forgetting one important issue. There are very few cases where you only hurt yourself. The mental damage to other people might be bigger than the physical damage you do to yourself. My opinion is that everybody can do what he wants, as long as he doesn’t hurt others (also mentally). And that leaves out a whole bunch of options. We aren’t just individuals, but part of a complex sociology. Friendship, family, workrelations, communities, society,…

Originally posted by dansmug
I understand all of the arguements used here. But aren’t we forgetting one important issue. There are very few cases where you only hurt yourself. The mental damage to other people might be bigger than the physical damage you do to yourself. My opinion is that everybody can do what he wants, as long as he doesn’t hurt others (also mentally). And that leaves out a whole bunch of options. We aren’t just individuals, but part of a complex sociology. Friendship, family, workrelations, communities, society,…

That’s very true, but regardless of the rules/laws, if you are an idiot, you are likely to do other insanely stupid, seriously injure yourself and make everyone worry anyway. Hopefully you won’t injure some innocent bystander in the process.

But just think of all the mental anguish you can save everyone that cares about you by ridding the world of yourself NOW :slight_smile:

And at the same time reduce everyone’s tax bill, even if only slightly :slight_smile:

Something which really pisses me off is the number of stupid people treated for snake bites. Of course snakes bite when you are trying to take their heads of with a shovel. Leave the damn things alone!

I am sympathetic of people which happen to tread on a snake, or are on rare occurrences attacked by snakes.
Again, kids will be kids. Hahahaha!

Definetely yes. All the reasons for that choice are mentioned above.

I agree with the general sentiment of the posts here (I actually voted yes). But you have to remember that some people are either incapable or unable to decide on their own welfare (or lack of it) themselves.

A very depressed person may be self-harming or suicidal, but do they really want to hurt/kill themselves?

If the person decides with a sane & sound mind that they want to do ‘X’ to themselves, then yes, they have a right to do it (like terminal cancer patients). But the difficult part is that often people in those circumstances are not in the best frame of mind to make such judgements anyway…

The only arguments I can think of are:
Intentional damage to yourself will cost the state money when you check yourself into a hospital. This applies in countries like mine, the UK, but not the USA, where healthcare is not funded by the government. Even in the UK, I wonder how hard it would be to limit the free healthcare to those who did not cause intentional damage to themselves. (It would also be very handy to lump smokers into this category.)

but not the USA, and who do you think pay’s for the people who have no insurance, ah now you have it taxpayer’s, which also cause’s higher medical insurance, higher medical cost’s, now when the nut jumps off the building or is attempting too, the emergency personnel put there lives on the line, or the people who he may land on and kill or the nut who shoots themself in the head and the round goes through the wall and kills the 5 year old in there bed. Do you think killing yourself is normal:cop: If you are impling that a terminal ill person may choose to die well the problem there lies no one can assist them in doing the act or helping in any way to do it.We do not euthanize people as we do animals:cop: NO TO THIS QUESTION