Should I wait for dual layer or what

vbimport

I was gonna get a Plextor 708a pretty soon

but I heard that the dual-layer recorder is comming out

Of course I would go for the dual-layer one but the problem is, the cost of dual-layer media would be expensive and it’s gonng take a while to goes down.

And also I assume that the first generation of dual-layer recorder might have some critical problems which may take a while to fix it.

so…its kinda complicated and i dunno what to do

please give me some answers :wink:

Haven’t you already answered your own question? 1st Gen products tend to be problematic. Single layer DVD burners are matured and problem free. Why wait?

You could wait a month and BenQ is going to come out with the first dual layer. Who knows it could be a hit. C’t mag did some quality scans (link below) and the BenQ was one of the best performing in the bunch. I believe along with PI/PO errors they took into account other things like jitter. It may also be if BenQ delivers in April it should drive the single layer prices down.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13405

Originally posted by suhksb
[B]I was gonna get a Plextor 708a pretty soon

but I heard that the dual-layer recorder is comming out

Of course I would go for the dual-layer one but the problem is, the cost of dual-layer media would be expensive and it’s gonng take a while to goes down.

And also I assume that the first generation of dual-layer recorder might have some critical problems which may take a while to fix it.

so…its kinda complicated and i dunno what to do

please give me some answers :wink: [/B]

Maybe you can pick up an old Liteon 401/411 and flash it up to the 811. Will be cheaper than buying an expensive drive, then buying a new drive later for DL :slight_smile:

Seems to be the fad atm ;

According to OC-Freak, the first few dual layer drives are gonna be 2.4x. Thats pretty much an hour per burn. Sure, there’s double the data, but I quite like my 4x burns, and my 8x burns even more so. And as u say, the cost is gonna be ridiculously more than the already (or close to) matured single layer high speed.

2.4x is only for the second layer, the first layer will be written at 8x (and the later models even 16x).

I have read that the dual layered disc are going to be priced at about $9.00 each & the drives $300 - $400.US kinda expensive. So Unless you have money to burn, & you just gotta be the first kid on the block to have one, then go ahead. I have a Plextor Px-708A & am happy with it, & also don’t skimp on the media, as it is the weakest link. Also when these dual drives & media come out it will drive the price of single sided media lower. When the Plextor first came out here in Canada it was priced at $399.00cdn & now there down to $249.00cdn. & media prices also have come down in price. I can now buy Quality media for a little less than $2.00cdn each thank god for Sam’s Club as other stores are still pricy (over $4.00 each)
Plextor likes the expensive stuff & depending on your standalone DVD player some of these can’t read 8X @ 4x but are ok for 4x burned. I have burned only one 8X with 4x & it read ok in my cheapy dvd standalone.

This has been a paid advertisement for the Plextor Px-708a… just kidding.

@Namoh

thanks for the clarification. That makes things look a bit brighter, but the initial cost would be a killer as jaydee123 rightly says.

In the latest Philips article they quoted their April dual layer at $169 Euro which I believe is $211. I’m bet the parts are similar to their current model.

Sorry but that should have read canadian dollars not US dollars. But i do think the prices will be higher than $211.00us than Vanderlow posts. Perhaps that is on the low end brands, but media will be up there maybe around $5.00us per disc, as my info was a bit dated.

Nope, the pricing is correct. 169 Euros (inc. VAT) for the first ever Dual layer burner, the Philips DVDRW885K. So it’s not for the low end brands, as said above. :wink: Also it’s the retail package with 1 Dual layer disk, Nero software, etc. Quite competitive pricing, I’d say. :wink: Quite on par with current offerings.

What’s more, Philips will now also go the Dual format route. You’ve heard it right, they will offer a firmware upgrade for this drive, later on the Autumn which will turn it into a -RW burner (and +RW, of course).

A firmware upgrade for the their current 8x +RW burner will also be available later this month which will turn it into a dual format burner.

Furthermore the 16x +R drive (and Dual layer and 8x -R also) is scheduled to go for retail in July and for just 199 Euros (inc. VAT) and again for a full retail package.

Have a look at Philips press release here:

Philips press release

If I was gonna purchase a burner I would wait some more time. For several reasons:

1. Current burners will probably fall in pricing dramatically over the next couple
    months. Even more when the 16x burners hit the streets (July).
  2. Dual layer might be a good bet if it does work well. Philips even says that it should be very compatible with existing DVD players. With release scheduled for April, I would not mind waiting a bit more and see how things develop.

As for media pricing, I doubt very much that comercially they can sell it for more than twice the price of a current blank. Also note that some recent news also say that DVD production is increasing dramatically worldwide and prices are due to start falling and falling. The same happened with CDs as we all know.

I had one of the first DvD burners (the pioneer A03) and it was and is raock solid.

A little slow, but I dont watch the thing burn, I get up and leave it.

I dont think the first gen dual layers will have all the problems many seem to believe.

As already stated you can get a 4_1S/451S and easily mod it to a 811S/851S. This would be real cheap and then you could wait for the price of dual layer to come down / bugs worked out. That’s what I would do / have done myself.

I won’t be upgrading my 411S@811S until dual layer has been out for awhile.

Plus, how can you go wrong for $93.50 including shipping?
See the LiteOn Tools guide in my signature for more info about the mods if you would like :bigsmile:

[/My 2 cents]

i know i can get liteon 411s at 93 bucks but i also can get 2500a at 95 bucks

I would definately go for 2500a if 2500a’s reading is better than it is now

i dont wanna spend extra money on dvd-rom for just reading u know

i dunno what to do now:confused:

Go for the BenQ 800a it has all you need.

You have to ask what you are going to use it for. How often do you run out of space on a single layer disk?

The big selling point is Dvd-Video as the disks will be readable on dvd players. But if capacity is the real issue then bluray is the real answer.

JER101, I was gonna say the same thing, blueray disc will be the way of the future. I think these will be out next year, the cost will be the biggest thing to over come. the disc themselves will cost around $25.00 I heard & drives over a $1,000 but this info is a bit dated, but one thing is for sure they won’t be cheap.

Suhksb, you have tons of info at your finger tips, flip a coin if u have to, if your looking for a sooooooo called perfect DVD burner, then forget it, as it hasn’t been made yet. All brands of burners have there problems. But one thing good about buying one now is that all the major brand have 8X burning & MOST stores have a 30 day or more return policy, so if yer not happy you’ll get yer money back. I’m happy with my Plextor Px-708A, what more can I say, good luck.

Originally posted by jaydee123
JER101, I was gonna say the same thing, blueray disc will be the way of the future. I think these will be out next year, the cost will be the biggest thing to over come. the disc themselves will cost around $25.00 I heard & drives over a $1,000 but this info is a bit dated, but one thing is for sure they won’t be cheap.

I actually don’ t think blueray will go anywhere outside business market. The fact that it’s not backward compatible, both drive and disc. It will take some time for consumer market to adopt. And i’m not sure that we have any need for it either. Current dual layer DVD packed so much data on same disc which is optimal for average viewing already. I don’t think there is need to enhance this even more. It is just like CD and hd-cd. Average users will not hear different between them. CD-audio will stay for a while, long while.

Blueray might go into business that deal with a lot of data as their backup. We will have to see how stable these discs are as well.

I think the drive is currently priced in Japan around $4000 not $1000. I can be wrong though.

Originally posted by simplelife
[B]I actually don’ t think blueray will go anywhere outside business market.
Blueray might go into business that deal with a lot of data as their backup. We will have to see how stable these discs are as well.

I think the drive is currently priced in Japan around $4000 not $1000. I can be wrong though. [/B]

Recordable DVD has a big problem. It cannot record HDTV. In those countries with HDTV the type of person who will buy a digital recorder will likely have, or plan to have HDTV. That’s where bluray comes in. The chinese are already planning their own version of Hd-DVD targeted at HDTV recording. They won’t be planning to sell those at $4000!

a long conversation here :bigsmile:
i decided to bought 107d just because its cheap and possibility of compatible with dual-layer recording
what if it was a bad choice?
i dont care