Should I Upgrade to Vista?

Hello,

I have Windows Xp and was wondering if I should upgrade to
Vista/ Since I am not familar with this new Operating system I
do not know if I should Upgrade yet or not.

Any Advice Would Be Great !

If XP is working fine for you and you have no problems with it, there’s no need for you to upgrade to Vista. The upgrade to Vista in general may require you to upgrade even some of your computer hardware, so it’s up to you. There are users here that have upgraded to it and don’t have problems, but there are also others that have tried it and don’t like it, and have reverted to XP. This is really something you’ll have to read about and decide if it’s something you want to take the plunge on.

Take a look at this page at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista

See if there is anything in there that particularly appeals to you.

You can go to Vista from XP if your hardware is relatively modern. Vista will run ok on 1gb of ram, but it really prefers 2gb. That is one of the keys to getting it to run well.

Most people who have problems with the operating system are hitting snags with drivers for older equipment. I have an old scsi film scanner that won’t work in it, and there seem to be lots of problems with other peripherals as well, like some printers, card readers, Creative sound cards, other pci cards, etc. Before making the switch, I would make sure to locate all the drivers you’ll need for your particular equipment.

I have Vista on a secondary partition, but I only use it for Media Center and watching or recording tv on my computer. My ATI 650 card works very well with Vista, and there aren’t many good alternatives in XP with that card. The software that came with it sucks bilge water.

I used Vista for a while, having no problems with the programs & hardware that I use, but I agree it is a personal decision. Although I have to add that I would not install Vista in place of XP, I would install it in addition to XP on a seperate partition or hard drive. I had mine installed on a different hard drive.

In otherwords, same old same old new windows operating system. Its got new features that can actually be nice, but its even more power hungry so your hot rod system isn’t so hot rod anymore (or your adiquate system sucks). Its new so its full of bugs and microsoft is making records for not being backwards compatible (or even compatible with current hardware)… If you dont need it, don’t get it (if you are buying a new system its diffrent as it can be fully compatible). An upgrade, or a downgrade? Depends on how your are doing it, but on an exsisting computer, its a downgrade…

If your computer doesn’t have at least 2 gig of RAM and a dual core processor then I would take a pass on Vista unless you don’t mind paying for hardware upgrades along with it. Like others have said, if you don’t have a known reason to upgrade to Vista then I wouldn’t do it.

[QUOTE=beef barley;1965564]I used Vista for a while, having no problems with the programs & hardware that I use, but I agree it is a personal decision. Although I have to add that I would not install Vista in place of XP, I would install it in addition to XP on a seperate partition or hard drive. I had mine installed on a different hard drive.[/QUOTE]

Ditto here :iagree:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;1965553]Take a look at this page at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista

See if there is anything in there that particularly appeals to you.

You can go to Vista from XP if your hardware is relatively modern. Vista will run ok on 1gb of ram, but it really prefers 2gb. That is one of the keys to getting it to run well.

Most people who have problems with the operating system are hitting snags with drivers for older equipment. I have an old scsi film scanner that won’t work in it, and there seem to be lots of problems with other peripherals as well, like some printers, card readers, Creative sound cards, other pci cards, etc. Before making the switch, I would make sure to locate all the drivers you’ll need for your particular equipment.

I have Vista on a secondary partition, but I only use it for Media Center and watching or recording tv on my computer. My ATI 650 card works very well with Vista, and there aren’t many good alternatives in XP with that card. The software that came with it sucks bilge water.[/QUOTE]

I agree! :iagree::iagree:
Using the microsoft Vista tool found at Microsoft.com will help you in making the switch easlier and finding out if your system as it stands, is up to par. I would recommend 3 to 4GB’s in Vista Premium, Bussiness, and Ultimate. The Vista Basic will run fine on 1GB of RAM. So if you have an older system simular to my Avaratec listed below then I would run Vista Basic!! Go ahead and upgrade you’ll be glad you did. 99 dollars for that Basic upgrade and with sales I have seen it for 79 dollars, so upgrading would be cheap too! Welcome to Vista, with it you can see the future!! Sorry XP die hards if I ruffled any of your feathers! :bigsmile:

Depends on the PC really. I hate bloated drivers from ATI (AIW) and Creative and they never worked to my liking even under 2000 and XP. Vista may be fine if ur PC is all on one MB from say ASUS given it is new.

[QUOTE=THE C.;1966216]I agree! :iagree::iagree:
Welcome to Vista, with it you can see the future!! Sorry XP die hards if I ruffled any of your feathers! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Other than “seeing the future” what other benefits come from running Vista over XP? I tried it on my computer with a 2.8 ghz X2 and one gig of RAM (running at 500 mhz FSB) and it was noticeably slower than XP. It didn’t take me long to dump it and go back to XP. Maybe if I had 4 gig of RAM and a much faster processor it MIGHT run as fast as XP does on my current computer.

IMO, there are very few circumstances where Vista is head and shoulders better (or even better at all) than XP. Personally, I wouldn’t UPGRADE to Vista until I knew if the SP1 release does it any good. We know that the SP3 release for XP makes it faster than SP2. One less reason to upgrade to Vista, IMO.

“We know that the SP3 release for XP makes it faster than SP2. One less reason to upgrade to Vista, IMO”

Shhh! Dont give M$ the wrong idea :wink:

[QUOTE=FidelC;1966298]“We know that the SP3 release for XP makes it faster than SP2. One less reason to upgrade to Vista, IMO”

Shhh! Dont give M$ the wrong idea ;)[/QUOTE]

I’m sure there was a lot of hand wringing in Microsoft over the SP3 release for XP. I think it is an indication that Vista is going to be a stop-gap OS in that they let SP3 out in a manner that improves XP by a decent margin. MS is in a position that they have to make XP users happy because if they don’t many will migrate to Linux, Mac etc. before installing/using Vista and once that happens they may never return.

[QUOTE=UTR;1966295]Other than “seeing the future” what other benefits come from running Vista over XP? I tried it on my computer with a 2.8 ghz X2 and one gig of RAM (running at 500 mhz FSB) and it was noticeably slower than XP. It didn’t take me long to dump it and go back to XP. Maybe if I had 4 gig of RAM and a much faster processor it MIGHT run as fast as XP does on my current computer.

IMO, there are very few circumstances where Vista is head and shoulders better (or even better at all) than XP. Personally, I wouldn’t UPGRADE to Vista until I knew if the SP1 release does it any good. We know that the SP3 release for XP makes it faster than SP2. One less reason to upgrade to Vista, IMO.[/QUOTE]

As I stated before Vista Basic is what I recommend for older computers. You shouldn’t say that XP is faster than Vista… Lets ask what version of Vista you were trying to use before you posts any differences of Vista and XP when you said yourself you dumped it quick. If you were running higher than Vista Basic, then you made the mistake not Vista. XP die hards are the dying breads of all previous window OS’s. But you like all the rest will soon learn that or will forget this post thread less then a year from now. Don’t hate Vista imbrace it for I see the future for all XP users and that is Vista!! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=THE C.;1966382]As I stated before Vista Basic is what I recommend for older computers. You shouldn’t say that XP is faster than Vista… Lets ask what version of Vista you were trying to use before you posts any differences of Vista and XP when you said yourself you dumped it quick. If you were running higher than Vista Basic, then you made the mistake not Vista. XP die hards are the dying breads of all previous window OS’s. But you like all the rest will soon learn that or will forget this post thread less then a year from now. Don’t hate Vista imbrace it for I see the future for all XP users and that is Vista!! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Not every M$ OS was successful and far not everybody embraced it, and as a result some OSs died off sooner then the others. Take Millennium e.g. It didnt last longer than a year or two and I never bothered trying it after 98. I went to w2k and couldnt care less for games and stuff or loading time. It was the best of all and the most reliable and easy on resources.

[QUOTE=FidelC;1966388]Not every M$ OS was successful and far not everybody embraced it, and as a result some OSs died off sooner then the others. Take Millennium e.g. It didnt last longer than a year or two and I never bothered trying it after 98. I went to w2k and couldnt care less for games and stuff or loading time. It was the best of all and the most reliable and easy on resources.[/QUOTE]

Maybe so with ME OS, but 2000 was strong for years, I also remember not jumping to 98SE from 98. But you as a die hard XP user remember when nothing worked on XP either at first. This is the way it will always be. Regardless MS wants the future and with it, it will need more better powerful hardware unlike previous OS’s. As for Linux and Mac it will never be the case of who runs and owns the earth. XP users try to compare Premium Vista Versions to any XP windows which is wrong, Vista Basic is very much nicer than any XP versions and runs just as fast as any XP versions.

[QUOTE=THE C.;1966382]As I stated before Vista Basic is what I recommend for older computers. You shouldn’t say that XP is faster than Vista… Lets ask what version of Vista you were trying to use before you posts any differences of Vista and XP when you said yourself you dumped it quick. If you were running higher than Vista Basic, then you made the mistake not Vista. XP die hards are the dying breads of all previous window OS’s. But you like all the rest will soon learn that or will forget this post thread less then a year from now. Don’t hate Vista imbrace it for I see the future for all XP users and that is Vista!! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I used Vista Ultimate. Why should someone have to settle for the bottom of the Vista barrel to get decent performance? Why is the low end Vista so much faster than the high end Vista? So when it comes to Vista the more I pay for it the slower it runs? Seems like Microsoft slept through Marketing 101 while developing it.

If I am an XP die hard then I have a lot of company. If it wasn’t for Vista being shoved at people with new computer purchases it would be even more stillborn than it is now. Why do you think MS extended the sales term for XP? It is because computer buyers demanded it. Are we all wrong? It looks to me that XP users are far from a dying breed. If MS had given us a decent, ready for prime time OS then I would be happy to use it. For now they haven’t delivered a decent new OS yet.

My guess is that Vista has been tainted so much that they need to dump it and come out with an OS with a new name that actually has some merit for upgrading. I don’t know one person personally that runs Vista and likes it. Businesses are staying away from it like it is the Bubonic Plague.

BTW, you still haven’t given me one concrete reason to use Vista over XP. Since I’m not in to gaming even DX10 has no value to me. Take that away and Vista’s eye candy and where is it any better than XP based on the average user’s needs? Unless MS works miracles with SP1, Vista will not do well in 2008 and I bet new copies of XP will still be sold by MS next December. If Vista in its current form is the future then Linux or a Mac is in my future.

[QUOTE=UTR;1966416]I used Vista Ultimate. Why should someone have to settle for the bottom of the Vista barrel to get decent performance? Why is the low end Vista so much faster than the high end Vista? So when it comes to Vista the more I pay for it the slower it runs? Seems like Microsoft slept through Marketing 101 while developing it.

If I am an XP die hard then I have a lot of company. If it wasn’t for Vista being shoved at people with new computer purchases it would be even more stillborn than it is now. Why do you think MS extended the sales term for XP? It is because computer buyers demanded it. Are we all wrong? It looks to me that XP users are far from a dying breed. If MS had given us a decent, ready for prime time OS then I would be happy to use it. For now they haven’t delivered a decent new OS yet.

My guess is that Vista has been tainted so much that they need to dump it and come out with an OS with a new name that actually has some merit for upgrading. I don’t know one person personally that runs Vista and likes it. Businesses are staying away from it like it is the Bubonic Plague.

BTW, you still haven’t given me one concrete reason to use Vista over XP. Since I’m not in to gaming even DX10 has no value to me. Take that away and Vista’s eye candy and where is it any better than XP based on the average user’s needs? Unless MS works miracles with SP1, Vista will not do well in 2008 and I bet new copies of XP will still be sold by MS next December. If Vista in its current form is the future then Linux or a Mac is in my future.[/QUOTE]

Vista Ultimate is way to power hungry for visuals and 3D effects for your older system. Vista Basic is not a scaled down version except in the Aero and Auroa effects. Also remember XP came with your machine when you bought it so that excuse is lame. I know you will be around until XP is no longer supported by MS. Typical die hard, in various forms! Its really okay I am not knocking XP but I have been with Vista for almost a year and will never go back to XP! Like an old pair of shoes, you buy new ones and throw out the old ones in the trash. Linux and Mac will never be of any power against MS, or it would have happened years ago. As for concrete is what I would have to use to bang it into your head that Vista (Any Version) will out perform, visually, in speed, dynamics, and most of all user friendly. Heck you can even classic out the windows menus to be like you old XP too!I can’t help you realize that like I said before that Vista Rules. As far as XP, I went to BestBuy and Fry’s and all I saw was Vista. I know you too like all else will come to use Vista in your future! You heard it from me, so don’t forget… I will be here to remind you of it everyday! :bigsmile: Don’t hate the Vista, the next OS from MS in 2010 will be even better and I and you and all others will migrate to that system as well. Anyways enough is enough, have a happy new year!! Think Vista… for it RULES!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

In all that you typed below you still haven’t given ONE good reason to upgrade to Vista. Sounds like you did it because MS told you too. BTW, I have built every system I have used since the early 1990s so I chose every OS that went on my computers. Not what MS or the retailer said I should use. I guess you don’t have any good reasons to upgrade to Vista?

Hopefully MS has learned something from its release of Vista and their next OS will contain something useful and run faster than its predecessor. But then it is replacing Vista so this shouldn’t be too hard to accomplish.

[QUOTE=THE C.;1966425]Vista Ultimate is way to power hungry for visuals and 3D effects for your older system. Vista Basic is not a scaled down version except in the Aero and Auroa effects. Also remember XP came with your machine when you bought it so that excuse is lame. I know you will be around until XP is no longer supported by MS. Typical die hard, in various forms! Its really okay I am not knocking XP but I have been with Vista for almost a year and will never go back to XP! Like an old pair of shoes, you buy new ones and throw out the old ones in the trash. Linux and Mac will never be of any power against MS, or it would have happened years ago. As for concrete is what I would have to use to bang it into your head that Vista (Any Version) will out perform, visually, in speed, dynamics, and most of all user friendly. Heck you can even classic out the windows menus to be like you old XP too!I can’t help you realize that like I said before that Vista Rules. As far as XP, I went to BestBuy and Fry’s and all I saw was Vista. I know you too like all else will come to use Vista in your future! You heard it from me, so don’t forget… I will be here to remind you of it everyday! :bigsmile: Don’t hate the Vista, the next OS from MS in 2010 will be even better and I and you and all others will migrate to that system as well. Anyways enough is enough, have a happy new year!! Think Vista… for it RULES!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:[/QUOTE]

I just got my first Vista system a few weeks ago. So far, I haven’t had any problems at all with it. I do still need to go in and change some settings to get rid of the constant pop up sceens which Vista gives you. So far I haven’t had any problems with hardware or software, including doing some video editing. I wouldn’t say it is any better or any worse than XP, just different.

For what it is worth Dept:
You have an XP based system. Resources are generally not ideal for any version of Vista-if the box is more than 2 years old. I too am a system builder and die hard XP fan. I had my first machine built with very early DOS and upgraded that to 6.22, stayed there and eventually decided that Windows 98 was a safe move having upgraded the hardware ( I had built several machines in the interim). My latest build is Very happy running XP and does all of the tasks I want it to. I can only upgrade RAM to 2 gigs and Vista really needs that as a nominal amount. So I will stick with what works for me. Glitz is not something I have ever sold or advised people to buy.
Here is another thought-read the HP boards-they are loaded with “downgrade” information requests. There must be some reason that people buying NEW laptops and desktops want XP.

Just my 2 cents–Happy New Year